BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
theonlynameleft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i all stock

Ordered tons of detailing stuff...

Because I forgot to say:

My car is a 2008 128i cabriolet and the colour is metallic - space grey

Now, I ordered a ton of stuff, mainly though, along with the PC 7424 (cant find the g110v2 in canada unfortunately) I got Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner as well as Meguiars #205 Finishing polish.

With the DA, I ordered orange black and white pads (5.5" as well as the same 3 in 4" for the smaller parts of the car)

Now, I don't have a wax yet. I'm not sure what to get, I hope I got the right pads, my car has some swirls in the paint and I wan't to get rid of them since they bother me

So in this order would I do it this way?

wash -> clay bar -> wash -> polish with the dual action cleaner -> polish again with the finishing polish - > wax

Now, I finally found ONE place in canada that has blackfire wet diamond, I've never used it but from what I've heard its great, I know its not wax, but is it supposed to be used on top of a wax? It sounds like I'd be layering too many products on the car, but I really want to get this thing lookin nice for the rest of the season before I have to take my civic out for the winter

lastly: what pads am I supposed to use for what?

Thanks for any and all advice guys
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels with a turbo

Hello, I am no pro, but hope I could help you out with alittle of my experience.

Meguiars #83, I would use it on an orange pad or yellow pad if you get some really bad swirls. I did some search for you, 83 need some time to break down, therefore, don't rush yourself and do the polish panel by panel.

Second step polish, maybe you could take alook at Menzerna PO106FA instead of Meguiars #205. I would use white or green pad for your second step polish.

I do not have experience with wet diamond, but it's sealant base, so it should be apply BEFORE your wax. I uses Klasse HGSG for long lasting base protection, either one works for you because you don't DD at winter.

Wax wise, take a look at P21S 100% carnauba. I just have them in my detailing box, so I can't tell you how they are. But I am using high % carnauba wax at the moment, they could last you 2 to 3 week with great protection and pop shine.

2 yellow or orange pad
2 white or green pad
1 black pad for your wet diamond
2 or 3 foam application pad for your wax
4 to 6 buffing MF towels for polish residue buff off
6 to 8 buffing MF towels for your sealant and wax buff off
Optional: 1 quick detailing spray for hard to remove residue for sealant and foam pad

I assume you are good with wash and clay, Coz you didn't ask anything on it.

Goodluck with the detailing! Keep us posted on the work done.

Kcc
      07-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Using my phone, so I can't edit.

For the wet diamond, I would recommend you applying by hand. As thin layer as you could and do it away from the sun. Sealant could be reapply for layering, but they could not be reapply over a wax.

I usually apply 2-3 layer of sealant for base than carnauba wax everytime I wash my ride until next year clay and polish.

Carnauba wax could be reapply on top of itself, same as sealant and as thin layer as you could.

For reapplying sealant and carnauba, it is best to give 12 to 24 hrs downtime to cure itself onto the clear coat for each apply.

You are on the right track for the procedure:

Best clean wash you ever done in your life - clay and lub - wash - Meguiars #83 with "my recommend" orange pad (yellow if you got alot of deep swirls) - Meguiars 205 or my recommend Menzerna PO106FA with white pad (green if you used orange pad for previous polish or you see no swirl to little) - wash (besure all the polish residue are gone!) - wet diamond sealant (reapply if you want max gloss and shine - carnauba wax - stand back and enjoy - post some picture - give me commend if you used my recommended method

That's basically it, PM me if anything we could discuss on. I am located in Markham Toronto, you?

Kcc
      07-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
theonlynameleft
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcc View Post
Using my phone, so I can't edit.

For the wet diamond, I would recommend you applying by hand. As thin layer as you could and do it away from the sun. Sealant could be reapply for layering, but they could not be reapply over a wax.

I usually apply 2-3 layer of sealant for base than carnauba wax everytime I wash my ride until next year clay and polish.

Carnauba wax could be reapply on top of itself, same as sealant and as thin layer as you could.

For reapplying sealant and carnauba, it is best to give 12 to 24 hrs downtime to cure itself onto the clear coat for each apply.

You are on the right track for the procedure:

Best clean wash you ever done in your life - clay and lub - wash - Meguiars #83 with "my recommend" orange pad (yellow if you got alot of deep swirls) - Meguiars 205 or my recommend Menzerna PO106FA with white pad (green if you used orange pad for previous polish or you see no swirl to little) - wash (besure all the polish residue are gone!) - wet diamond sealant (reapply if you want max gloss and shine - carnauba wax - stand back and enjoy - post some picture - give me commend if you used my recommended method

That's basically it, PM me if anything we could discuss on. I am located in Markham Toronto, you?

Kcc
I am in Pickering, Ontario, your about 20 minutes away.

The stuff was just shipped out today so hopefully I get it tomorrow or the day after, I want to go to bimmerfest so might do it week beforehand but I am not sure if I am going to be able to go due to work not letting me have sunday off

Thanks for the advice guys, I will definately be doing a thread of before and after with a LOT of pics, I will be doing everything else on the car as well, cleaning the interior, the rims, the vynil top as well

KCC we should meet up some time I'd like to get together with some fellow people on here
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
theonlynameleft
Private First Class
Rep

To the other poster (on my phone now so stupid spelling mistakes are the result of auto correct)

I ordered tue following (might forget a couple things:

-pc 7424xp with 5.5" pads and same as 4" pads and the backing plate.
-meguiars ultra finish polish the cleaning one
-wheel nut and cavity cleaner
-sonar wheel cleaner
-11" and 4" detail brush
-wheel brush
-riccardo yellow clay bar lube
-detailers pride tire dressing gel and applicators
-10 el cheap microfiber
-dehydrator 2.0 towel
-cookie monster towel

Probably a few other things as well

So a a revised order I do wash, clay, wash, cleaning polish, ultra finishing polish, wetdiamond then wax?

Is 2-3 coats of wax ok?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yes, 2 to 3 coat of sealant or wax is ok.

Both previous poster are myself, which is the same person.

Kcc
      07-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #7
theonlynameleft
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcc View Post
Yes, 2 to 3 coat of sealant or wax is ok.

Both previous poster are myself, which is the same person.

Kcc
My mistake, didn't notice. Is 2-3 coats of each ok?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

OP - after you wash/clay/wash the car... then use a paint cleaner to remove any swirls...

...then you want to use a sealer like: blackfire wet diamond. Then you can put a few coats of wax(on top of) IF you want too.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #9
theonlynameleft
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
OP - after you wash/clay/wash the car... then use a paint cleaner to remove any swirls...

...then you want to use a sealer like: blackfire wet diamond. Then you can put a few coats of wax(on top of) IF you want too.
answered that at the same time I asked. Thankyou.

Another question although not as important because I found a place to get it, but why does it seem impossible to find blackfire wet diamond in canada?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlynameleft View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

answered that at the same time I asked. Thankyou.

Another question although not as important because I found a place to get it, but why does it seem impossible to find blackfire wet diamond in canada?
Not sure why, maybe some patent issue? Or not too many ppl in Canada are looking for it? I got a AW, so wet diamond I don't need. Also, Klasse HGSG last long, that's what I like about it.

Kcc