BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Knowing what you know now, would you still buy your car?
YES!! Of course! 171 75.00%
Yeah, probably.. 40 17.54%
Egh, I'd probably wait another model year or two.. 6 2.63%
NO WAY! 11 4.82%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

07-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #45
ohnoes
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

I also remembered that I'm getting horrid gas mileage--17.6MPG with a city-highway mix of maybe 60%/40%, respectively. I got a full MPG better (sometimes a little more) better in my modified M3 that had to be rung out because it didn't have the low-end torque of the N54.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #46
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
When I'm trundling along on the highway or something else as monotonous, I kind of get annoyed at the car. Some slight rattles when I go over the bumps, seems like they come from almost every possible part of the interior. So then I have to crank up the stereo to drown them out, but then I remember the sound system is in fact not very good compared to some of the Bose systems in a lot of other cars. So basically this puts me in a not-so-great mood while on the highway.

It's when I get off the highway that I realize how much I love the car. Heel-toe downshifting into the corners, throttling out with a little tire squeal, roaring up to 6k and then upshifting - it just makes all of the little niggles I had before just melt away and a big grin envelopes my face.

Now it wasn't always THIS much fun. When it was stock I was quite unimpressed with the stock suspension and tires, as well as the quiet exhaust note. All of those have been addressed now with my KW Variant 3's, lighter rims and some better/wider rubber, as well as a new axleback exhaust. To me it's the perfect balance of street and track. That's not to say that when I'm on the track I think it's perfect. Far from it, but it's definitely setup well enough to have a LOT of fun on the track, yet still civilized enough on the street.

So all in all, when driven how it's meant to be driven, I love the car. For just cruising around on the highway, it's just above average, but I suppose I would be finding fault with almost any car on the highway since I have time to think about these things. =)
      07-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #47
NJ135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
ohnoes- the performance suspension has made the handling and feel of the car much better, and I've only had it a week
i have it too and i dont feel much of a difference.. idk maybe its just me =/ wish it made it alittle lower tho i was hoping for a better drop
      07-17-2009, 04:48 AM   #48
GreatDane
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i (Alpine White)

Just got it and naturally love it! Looking forward to some minor mods..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #49
roscoe
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 135i White w/M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdaniels View Post
7400 Miles on my 128i two laps around the Nurburgring (more to come soon) its 100% stock.

My two issues so far have been the squeeky clutch return spring - Fixed via BMW (Guess its quite common in BMW's)

And squeeky armrest - Also take care of via BMW. Other then that I have zero complaints about the car.

Chances are there are more 135 owners out then 128's. Hence why you see a lot more activity from them. I also think that most of us 128 owners bought the car because it fits the perfect spot we where looking for. Fun, good looking, sport, and affordable. Some of us would probably do a few aftermarket mods to it but nothing that some of the 135 owners would do.

Just my thoughts o.0
"Squeaky clutch return spring" -- I'm having the exact same problem on my 135. Started about 1500 miles ago (6,000 miles total so far).

Did the dealership give you any grief about it, or did they just go ahead and fix it, no questions asked?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #50
haglem
Rep
Drives: 09 128I

Nope

Though I do like my car, I don't love it. Even if I had gone with the 135 I don't think I would have loved that either. Don't get me wrong the car handles great and has enough get up and go to have lots of fun. But to be honest, my wrx had character and my 128 doesn't. My wrx had tons of power and ripped through the corners like nothing. My 1 is very smooth, fun to drive, but not thrilling. I also miss the 4 doors and bigger trunk too. I will most likely trade it in next year. For what i'm still unsure, but I will do more research before falling into another car I don't love.

I actually find it annoying to clean the car. I used to love cleaning my wrx and waxing and detailing. Now I find it nothing short of a chore. Anyway, maybe I should have went with a 3 series for the 4 doors, and maybe even the 335i to get some power back again for the fun, but hind sight is 20/20 right?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #51
Mid-e88-West
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Vert

If I had to do it again... I would have gone the 3 series route.

I just don't have the same attachment/excitement towards this car as I did with my E46...

Everytime I sit in it, it feels "cheap"
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #52
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-e88-West View Post
If I had to do it again... I would have gone the 3 series route.

I just don't have the same attachment/excitement towards this car as I did with my E46...

Everytime I sit in it, it feels "cheap"
that's how I feel. I was really in love with this e92 328i that was montego/saddle with sport, prem, 6spd and some other goodies, it was a new 08 over a year old still on the lot but they weren't budging much and I didn't want to deal with a dealer that wouldn't deal. I love the 1er, especially it's happy go lucky-ness and it's size for everyday life, but every time I see a montego e92 I get jealous/emotional/all sorts of other feelings, I think next time for me it will be the three again
      07-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #53
mpukas
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i

I'll jump in on this thread and ramble a bit...

I've had my 135i for about a month now. spec's - 6mt, Space Gray, Black Boston Leather, Grey Poplar wood, Premium Package, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Sat Nav w/ HD radio, Comfort Access, iPod, Smart Phone

Previously I was leasing an 06 330xi sedan for 3 yrs, and my lease was up. The 135i I got was on my dealer's lot - they gave me a really good offer to make my 330 go away and lease a new car. I was planning on finding a CPO's 08-09 135i and eating over-mileage and wear-n-tear penalties (nad get out of the leasing game), but the offer f/ my dealer was pretty good and as painless as it could be for me.

The car I got is not exactly as I would have spec'd if I'd ordered it - too many options - I don't want power seats, sat nav, or comfort access. I use CA because I have it, but honestly I find it annoying and gimmicky, and as my dealer says - I don't trust it. No way I'd spec that $500 opt. But on to the rest of the car...

Overall, I love it - I find in many ways it's superior to the 330xi - performance wise that is. It drives better, rides better, handles better, and is much faster (obviously, it's got TT's the 330 didn't). Maye it's because BMW had 3 yrs to fine tune the suspension for the RF tires but driving the 135i on the same roads as the 330xi, I find it's a much smoother, quieter ride. I much perfer N/A engiens to turbo'd - I miss the instant response, but the extra power on 10,000' passes is nice. And my 330 xi got better mileage - 2.5-3.5 mpg better - and had more range on a tank - I get about 300 miles on a tank in the 135i and about 400 in the 330xi. It's a little annoying having to fill up more often. But as far as pure driving, the 135i is in another league than my old 330xi. I'm going to be counting each day I wish I had awd this winter though...

On the interior, I think the design, fit and finish of the 3 serires is much better than the 1 series. Not that the i sereis is cheap, but I don't find the design to be as refined and well thought out. I really like the 3 interior (although I HATE the in-dash cup holders - dumbest thing) very nice flow of materials, shapes, controls, etc. The 1 seems a bit thrown together and after-thoughtish - especially the sat nav hood on the top of the dash. The 3 sat nav hood flows so nicely w/ the overall dash concept, while the 1 sat nav hood was just stuck somewhere it would fit. I get some air noise/whistling around the side windows, but that just may be the frameless windows... Very minimal interior storage - but that's ok, jut less junk to have clunking around.

The GF's brother has an 08 e92 m3 - got to drive it last week - WOW!!! Yeah, as someone mentioned earlier, the only thing wrong w/ the 135i is the m3. That damn m3!!! The 1 series is a great sporty coupe - not a true sports car, but a great car non the less. Very easy to drive day to day, and very fun when you want to get on it. I really like the smaller size. Love the tunability if it - love to do some mods, but have to earn more $$$ first - would love to turn it into a NISMO 370z killer!

btw - this a great forum, love all you guys! Have learned tons just reading threads, and I really appreciate the enthusiasm for the the cars and all that you have shared!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #54
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
"Squeaky clutch return spring" -- I'm having the exact same problem on my 135. Started about 1500 miles ago (6,000 miles total so far).

Did the dealership give you any grief about it, or did they just go ahead and fix it, no questions asked?
The dealer should handle it with no problems as it is a fairly common problem with an easy fix. My dealer lubed my E46 clutch linkage 8 years ago (covered under warranty) and the squeak has never returned.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #55
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdaniels View Post
Chances are there are more 135 owners out then 128's. Hence why you see a lot more activity from them. I also think that most of us 128 owners bought the car because it fits the perfect spot we where looking for. Fun, good looking, sport, and affordable. Some of us would probably do a few aftermarket mods to it but nothing that some of the 135 owners would do.

Just my thoughts o.0
I don't know that there are more 135i out there than 128i's.
But, enthusiast forums tend to gather more of the "performance" drivers, who also happen to be more inclined to get the higher performing engine.
That's why I think this forum is skewed more towards the 135i.
I still think the 128i is an excellent choice, especially with the sport suspension, and more so with the optional sport look.

Turbo's are nice, but owning a number of turbo's and NA engines, there is still something special about both. NA engines have that sweet linear feel, and with a NA BMW engine it's solid and smoooooth.
Turbo's have a slightly "quirky" feel at times, and more so as they get more miles and carbon starts to gunk up some things, but there is no question to what force feeding an already sweet engine will do to it.
the 135i TT engine is THE smoothest turbo I've ever driven.
It doesn't have the old school turbo HIIIIT when pressure builds, as those things are better controlled these days. I actually really enjoy that HIT when it comes. But, the 135i TT just comes in such a strong wave or power that just picks you up and swells in force exponentially compared to how a big V8 would do it.

Ah, I went off again into engine la la land.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 01:23 AM   #56
max102654
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

I love my 135i vert so far. A comparable 335i vert is at least 10k more expensive. The 135i is faster and there is little loss in leg room or cargo space. It is also very unique. The 3 series body style is so common here in S. Cal that it is just like a Toyota camry.

I get an average of 24 mpg based on 50% city and 50% Highway so no complaint in that area. This car is a fantastic buy but after reading all the problems especially the HPFP, I just hope the fun is going to last. If I ever get stranded in the middle of nowhere, I'll probably regret not getting the 128i or 328i but until then, I'm still a happy camper.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 04:23 AM   #57
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

I would have been happier if I could choose custom order and get coral red leather seats......
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #58
roscoe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
The dealer should handle it with no problems as it is a fairly common problem with an easy fix. My dealer lubed my E46 clutch linkage 8 years ago (covered under warranty) and the squeak has never returned.
Tom
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #59
roscoe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I don't know that there are more 135i out there than 128i's.
But, enthusiast forums tend to gather more of the "performance" drivers, who also happen to be more inclined to get the higher performing engine.
That's why I think this forum is skewed more towards the 135i.
I still think the 128i is an excellent choice, especially with the sport suspension, and more so with the optional sport look.

Turbo's are nice, but owning a number of turbo's and NA engines, there is still something special about both. NA engines have that sweet linear feel, and with a NA BMW engine it's solid and smoooooth.
Turbo's have a slightly "quirky" feel at times, and more so as they get more miles and carbon starts to gunk up some things, but there is no question to what force feeding an already sweet engine will do to it.
the 135i TT engine is THE smoothest turbo I've ever driven.
It doesn't have the old school turbo HIIIIT when pressure builds, as those things are better controlled these days. I actually really enjoy that HIT when it comes. But, the 135i TT just comes in such a strong wave or power that just picks you up and swells in force exponentially compared to how a big V8 would do it.

Ah, I went off again into engine la la land.
Agree 100% that the 3.0TT is one of the smoothest TC engines going. This is the fourth or fifth turbo car I've owned. A lot of car companies say that their engine is lag-free, but c'mon there is always SOME lag. The 3.0TT really is lag-free however. The lack of turbo whine is nice, IMO, as it gives the overall driving impression of a V8.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #60
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Tomorrow we will turn in our 128i for shipment back to the USA. The Euro Deliver experience and the 128i have been spectacular. We easily hit 135 MPH on the Autobahn and could have easily hit the 155 MPH speed limiter. So that makes the 135i no faster than the 128i that we bought. Driving on the twisty roads in Germany and Austria was a blast.

The Sapphire Black and Coral Red combination looks much better than I hoped. Coral Red is not bright enough to be annoying in the morning. The M-Sport goodies are very nice. The new Becker navigation is much better than the earlier design.

The only dissapointment will be the speed limits in the USA.
Attached Images

07-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #61
jmoretti
Independent
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

@m_thompson: Great Photo!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #62
cimbali
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

got an 09 128i with 6600 miles now.

great car but i've been kicking my self for going with the automatic 128i. the dealer didnt have any manual trans 128i so I test drove an automatic using SD (sport) mode and it really felt great...but I find it a bit too aggressive for daily commuting.

I now only drive it in manual mode which is thankfully still some fun...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #63
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I love my baby. I'm just stuck waiting for new wheels (on order) and the BMW engine upgrade.