BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
135iam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6mt

Looking into moving to PHX, what do I need to know?

My company is currently have a new complex built in Tempe, next to Sundevil Stadium that my wife and I are actively looking to relocate to.

A bit about me. I've a 3rd generation car guy so wrenching comes natural to me. I have a bit of undiagnosed ADD as I tend to jump from hobbies....autocross, to track days (5 years and lots of tracks), to camping and atv riding. My last few cars have been a Honda S2000, R53 Mini, and Subaru Legacy GT all with lots of mods. My current car is a 135i convert with KWv3, M3 arms, FBO, etc). I do alot of work myself and really enjoy wrenching

My family recently sold our toyhauler and atvs as we got tired of the long commutes (4.5hrs) for good riding. I would be interested in buying a Polaris RZR4 S for the family if we make the move.

We have 4 kids ages 13-3 so schools/area activities are important to us, wife wants a place with a pool (shouldnt be hard to find compared to IL).

Any areas you would recommend we look for a home?
Any areas to stay away from?
Must see/do things we should know about?

thanks, Brian
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
135iam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

I left that area 15 years ago and haven't looked back. Best of luck to you and the family surviving the heat.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Tons of opinions here, and a lot of info on the general website.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoenix-area/

Been there a couple of times, last about 15 years ago. It seemed more like a gigantic suburb than a city.

SW of Prescott, AZ, about 100 miles away, is one of the most amazing twisty roads in the US, Hwy 89. The western tail of the dragon. Google maps will clue you in.

I almost went there to go 1-series shopping, they had many used ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
AZ135i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

Phoenix is awesome. i absolutely love it here. lived in nyc, pitt pa, houston texas, seattle, and this is by far my favorite place... gas is shitty here, but there are ways to manage. If you need help with anything in the city let me know! Shoot me a pm anytime.

tempe is a party scene pretty much all over... i would look to live in gilbert or ahwatukee.... cheap living in newer areas there and not too bad of a cummute. Puts you about 40-45 mins away from me.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ135i View Post
Phoenix is awesome. i absolutely love it here. lived in nyc, pitt pa, houston texas, seattle, and this is by far my favorite place... gas is shitty here, but there are ways to manage. If you need help with anything in the city let me know! Shoot me a pm anytime.

tempe is a party scene pretty much all over... i would look to live in gilbert or ahwatukee.... cheap living in newer areas there and not too bad of a cummute. Puts you about 40-45 mins away from me.
I highly second GILBERT! An overall quiet suburbia of cookie-cutter homes and Target/Starbucks plaza's, but makes for a calm, nice area, with good (for AZ) schools.

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
135iam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info, looking at homes online now in those areas
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
135iam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wife and I are flying out tomorrow to visit the area and see what we think.

Planning to view the existing office, see how the new complex construction is coming along, view potential areas to buy a home, get some good food, and enjoy a break from our 4 kids.

If things work out as planned we will be moving to the area in August.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
135iam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wow, sensory overload flying out to the PHX area for an 18 hr visit.

Kinda walking through the pros and cons in my mind compared to IL.

No winter
Good job opportunity, a lot of planned growth in AZ.
Pool
Economy rebounding here, more home appreciation than il.
Lots to do outside
Less taxes!
Everyone I met loves it in AZ

Cons
No family
Daycare more expensive
Less home sqft for the money than IL
Houses real close together
More work to find good schools here
3 months of really hot
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iam View Post
Wow, sensory overload flying out to the PHX area for an 18 hr visit.

Kinda walking through the pros and cons in my mind compared to IL.

No winter
Good job opportunity, a lot of planned growth in AZ.
Pool
Economy rebounding here, more home appreciation than il.
Lots to do outside
Less taxes!
Everyone I met loves it in AZ

Cons
No family
Daycare more expensive
Less home sqft for the money than IL
Houses real close together
More work to find good schools here
3 months of really hot
OK, reality check for you:
3 months of really hot? It's started. Tomorrow is supposed to be 107* in Tempe. Maybe you were optimistic because it was less humid than IL, but it's still no picnic. I'd say you're looking at closer to 6 months of miserable heat. It can be over 100* into October.

There's lots to do outside - if you head out at 5:00AM or drive for a couple of hours.

Houses are close together depending on where you live. There are still some decent older sections of Tempe and Mesa and Ahwatukee (places I'd even consider living) with plenty of space between the houses.

As far as the economy goes, I've heard that Phoenix has higher highs and lower lows. Things were never as bad in CO as they were in AZ over the past 5-10 years.

Best of luck to you, but keep in mind as a 30-year resident of the Tempe-Mesa-Chandler area, . . .I'm not going back.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #11
135iam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, we know it will be hot and like many others we will likely have many weekends out of town up north.

One thing that surprised me, as I went out of my way to talk with a lot of people is that the vast majority of the people I met weren't locals. Lots from CA, IL, Wisconsin, Michigan. It took work to find people born and raised in the area. (At least where we were staying/eating/and looking at homes.)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, we know it will be hot and like many others we will likely have many weekends out of town up north.

One thing that surprised me, as I went out of my way to talk with a lot of people is that the vast majority of the people I met weren't locals. Lots from CA, IL, Wisconsin, Michigan. It took work to find people born and raised in the area. (At least where we were staying/eating/and looking at homes.)
The CA thing is obvious as most people looking to escape the cost of CA will migrate close - Phx is the logical choice. I have a theory on the midwesterners . . .Spring Training. Think about it - early March and you're sitting on your couch and outside it's 25*. Maybe, like this year, it's a blizzard. You turn on the tv and you're looking at fans in shorts & t-shirts watching baseball. Suddenly the Phoenix area looks pretty good, doesn't it. My .02.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #13
AZ135i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

Quote:

Its a dry heat....

I've been here 6 years and I moved from the buffalo area, I love it. The summers suck, but September through April are great months... everytime we get to that time frame i'm reminded why I love it here so much. Close to mexico, vegas, california. People are nice and its relatively cheap to live here.
Appreciate 0