BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #67
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

So the sport button does change how shifts work? I turned it on today and thought something was off. Normally I rev up past 4K and then shift up and it gives off a nice pop in the exchaust note as it cuts out then comes back as the engine revs down. I pressed the sport button today to see if the lag would clear up and noticed that when I shifted it instead let out more of a grunt.

I think I'm just going to pay for the transmission software update. I can't deal with the lag anymore. My car appears to be one of the earlier DCTs so it's probably never had the update.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #68
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P7X View Post

Be a man, grab your stick.... or be a women and play with your steering mounted labias.

No hate just my 2 cents
Personally, if we're going to go there, I'd much rather play with a woman's labias than a man's stick.

Also no hate. I came from a 5MT. Rowing gears is immensely satisfying, but the DCT is better in traffic, suburban driving, and on the track, which are the three things I spend 95% of my time in a car doing.

As for the poorly labeled different varieties of sport:
"Sport Program" (putting stick to left so "S1" is displayed) is a "performance-oriented" driving style. In non-BMW speak, this basically means the car waits to shift until higher in the RPM range. That's really it. The manual talks about other garbage like not allowing non-plausible gear changes, but it doesn't allow you to money-shift in any other setting either so I'm not sure why they bother highlighting that there.
"Driving dyanmics control" (pushing the sport button) does the things mentioned in the previous post, mostly: increased throttle response and quicker gear changes.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #69
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rsxpilot View Post
Personally, if we're going to go there, I'd much rather play with a woman's labias than a man's stick.

Also no hate. I came from a 5MT. Rowing gears is immensely satisfying, but the DCT is better in traffic, suburban driving, and on the track, which are the three things I spend 95% of my time in a car doing.

As for the poorly labeled different varieties of sport:
"Sport Program" (putting stick to left so "S1" is displayed) is a "performance-oriented" driving style. In non-BMW speak, this basically means the car waits to shift until higher in the RPM range. That's really it. The manual talks about other garbage like not allowing non-plausible gear changes, but it doesn't allow you to money-shift in any other setting either so I'm not sure why they bother highlighting that there.
"Driving dyanmics control" (pushing the sport button) does the things mentioned in the previous post, mostly: increased throttle response and quicker gear changes.

I wouldn't say better, i'd say easier. Everybody complains about driving manual in traffic but it's really not a big deal at all. I drive through NYC all the time and clutching and shifting is second nature. If anything it makes it more fun because i'm actually engaged in driving the car instead of just pressing down a couple of pedals. I even Heel-toe at all times, even when daily driving just because it's fun and a smoother ride.

As my father taught me "In an automatic, you ride in the car. In a manual, you DRIVE the car."

No hate, i understand why many choose DCT but i would never choose it in a million years. Plus the DCT lag sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited by 631twentyeighteye; 04-04-2014 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #70
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rsxpilot View Post
Personally, I'd much rather play with a man's stick.
I said YOUR stick not another man's stick....
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 10:34 PM   #71
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
I have only had a dct for 1200 miles, I am still up in the air. having an automatic makes me not pay attention anymore and its only been a short period of time, I never know what gear the car is in, so when at the spur of a moment I just tap the paddle a bunch of times jump on the throttle and before I know it its in manual and I forget to upshift because I'm already auto lazy minded. I have to train myself to drive this car all over again, as far as the throttle hesitation I also have a 13 x5 and as far as I know this is an every bmw problem. The dtc rarely does it bad but when it does its like the car stalls, I think this is something you have to get used to and pattern your inputs when you assume its going to happen.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 07:34 AM   #72
KNTDRV
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i SGM 6MT(gone now)

I've never driven a DCT BMW so I can't add anything here. As a matter of fact I've never owned an "automatic" vehicle since 1976.
IMO there's no perfect answer but everyone takes away whats important to them in a tranny setup.
Just my observation but I believe traffic would "flow" so much better if more drivers drove manual transmission vehicles(less go-stop-go)…..but I digress.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #73
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja View Post
I think I'm just going to pay for the transmission software update. I can't deal with the lag anymore. My car appears to be one of the earlier DCTs so it's probably never had the update.
My car is May 2011 build and mines not had any tranny software update, and I can't say I've noticed any significant transmission lag other than the odd hiccup.

The only serious issue I have with the DCT is the fact that in manual shift mode the 'kickdown' still functions
The stupid Engineer at BMW that thought that was necessary deserves a
      04-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #74
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
...The only serious issue I have with the DCT is the fact that in manual shift mode the 'kickdown' still functions
Absolutely. That person deserves more than a slap. I actually went and put a small stop under the pedal to prevent the kick down. Of course the down side is that my WOT is really only about 80 to 90%. In practice I don't think the stop is much of an issue and doesn't really hurt but of course I'm not sure because I have no way to compare. If I really get serious I'll take the pedal apart and 'disable' the kick down switch.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #75
msf
Keep the shiny side up.
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I drive in Sport mode with DSC off. No lag and it will spin the tires if I punch it. Love the DCT. Before the 135is, I drove a 911 Turbo MT, and a Cayman S MT for over 80,000 miles. I have over 11,000 miles on the 135is and zero issues. Very happy!

Last edited by msf; 07-17-2014 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #76
No Style 135is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '90 gtr r32

Quote:
Originally Posted by msf
I drive in Sport mode with DSC off. No lag and it will spin the tires if I punch it. Love the DCT.
+1

I always do the same.
No more lag as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #77
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokjitt135is View Post
+1

I always do the same.
No more lag as well.
I drive mine in MANUAL MODE engaged 100% of the time, but SPORT on occassion. I leave it in manual mode to shift for itself, but the mode holds 5th gear where it would normally shift to 7th.... or basically hold about 500 rpm higher in any gear while cruising.

I love my DCT 9 out of 10 times. The only time I miss a manual is when I could just hold 2nd or 3rd gear in a corner, and Dukes-of-Hazzard it out of the corner itself slightly sideways. The DCT makes it a bit more challenging in that regards; maybe not a "bad" thing anyway.

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 01:37 AM   #78
Ghent
Topless Speed
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Convertible

I drove manuals for years but purchased a DCT in my new 135. I love it.. i can still drive when my knee acts up. I have not experienced delays in acceleration from a stop but have experienced the issues with getting it to engage when in traffic occasionally.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #79
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

I played around with my car tonight.
Turning off DSC makes barely any difference to take off.

I am gonna test this week if there actually is more lag than an average car.

I found a new feature.

Turn off DSC. Quickly hold full throttle, it will rev until about 5500RPM, if you continue to hold it will just take off spinning the wheels.

But if you let go and then use half throttle at aorund 3000RPM you get a really good launch.
      04-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #80
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
I played around with my car tonight.
Turning off DSC makes barely any difference to take off.

I am gonna test this week if there actually is more lag than an average car.

I found a new feature.

Turn off DSC. Quickly hold full throttle, it will rev until about 5500RPM, if you continue to hold it will just take off spinning the wheels.

But if you let go and then use half throttle at aorund 3000RPM you get a really good launch.
Might want to use launch feature: hold brake, engage sport mode, one press of DCS button, floor it, hold on for dear life. Limited wheel spin.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #81
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

Quote:
My car is May 2011 build and mines not had any tranny software update, and I can't say I've noticed any significant transmission lag other than the odd hiccup.

The only serious issue I have with the DCT is the fact that in manual shift mode the 'kickdown' still functions
What's wrong with it? It's the only way to go from 7th to 4th instantly.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #82
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
You can feel that resistance point, right before the click on the pedal to engage the kickdown mode. If you dont want the kick down.. dont smash the pedal to the floor.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #83
ItsHectic
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
Might want to use launch feature: hold brake, engage sport mode, one press of DCS button, floor it, hold on for dear life. Limited wheel spin.
I have a few times, it just spins way too much. It dumps the clutch at 4k RPM I wanna fine tune it with the Cobb Accessport to about 2.5k RPM or whatever will achieve only a small chirp.

I do miss being able to launch in manual, the way I would do it is hold the cars revs and slowly release the clutch. This is the reason I would always upgrade my cars clutch. And I used to be able to take off with the chosen amount of wheel spin.
      04-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #84
Konakona
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i Le Mans Blue Msport DCT

1 year and 25,000 miles later I find the DCT to be impressive. Fast shifts are great but the sounds it makes are fantastic, if you have one you know what I'm talking about. Purchased the car in LA, wasn't sure if the MT was the best choice for a 2hr commute on the 405... Now live in Denver and I've been wanting a manual again, I love the DCT 90% of the time however my next car will be MT.
      04-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #85
ItsHectic
Australia
Rep

Okay guys.

So, I lined up a little race with an auto 06 Mazda 3 (not the SP model) with budget tyres. I was in sport mode for engine and gearbox with traction control off.

Mazda 3 spun a bit while my clutch was casually engaging, at 15kmh the Mazda had half a car length on me before I started catching up. I stopped at about 25kmh.

Last edited by ItsHectic; 04-13-2014 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #86
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #87
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja
Quote:

What's wrong with it? It's the only way to go from 7th to 4th instantly.
Great if you want to go from 7 to 4 like you said. Not so great if you don't want the downshift to happen. Like I said, I put a stop under the pedal to prevent it from kicking down.
      04-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #88
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
How can you say skill has anything to do with it when all it involves is pressing down the peddle? I am talking 0-20km/h btw.
Because it *does* involve at least a minimal amount of attention and skill. Were you just waiting, then mashing the gas? If so, stop doing that. Brake stand it a little right before taking off. Use the built-in launch control. You have the means to push the car to a more aggressive launch but you may not be taking advantage of them.

Like I said, it's not a LOT of skill at this point, but it's not just mashing the gas from a stop.