BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Went out to mulholland drive "the snake" and cruised in initially with the dct 135i. Hit the rest area where ppl park, stopped to chat a little bit then went for a hard run down and back uphill. I went as hard as i can not knowing the turns exactly. Hard as in tail happy and a backfire(?!). I was pleasantly surprised at the backfire as the car is bone stock except tires. Then i let the car cool down and the oil warning too low came up. I freaked out so left after the car was completely cooled down and pretty much neutralled it the way back to the gas station whenever it was downhill. Bought a quart of oil. Quadruple checked the oil level (needs a damn dipstick) and it went back to fine. But was startled so didnt go back. The car was parked on a slope when cooling down and the subsequent oil level warning. Double checked again at home. Read numerous posts on these forums about getting that warning when parked on a slope. This is ridiculous. I freaked out because my evo ix went kaboom because it ate oil so fast and one lazy day turned into failure (but got into a bmw and sold the shell for 9k).

In general, how much oil do these cars eat? Anyone who tracks their car heavily, can you chime in? Im scheduled to go in a couple weeks and now will have an oil change and check fluids before i go out.

Dont know if it said max before and is now reading halfway between max and min. I may not have waited long enough for the oil to settle and will check in the morning again to see if it reads full. Manual says do not add any oil unless it goes to min and tells you to do so. Hence ill just have it redone.

Btw the car was super fast and handled pretty well for severe sloping hairpin turn after hairpin turn (for those whove driven the snake). All i did was add michelin pss. A dude asked for a ride and when we got back he said his legs were shaking and he needed to sit down. Lol. Another dude showed up after my runs going balls to the walls in his ek civic. This was at 11pm and pitch black. That guy mustve had some pretty damn good brakes. Kind of sad that we couldnt go together to see if he was going fast or was just loud. Backfires in the canyons sound awesome lol.

It was a pretty safe night to go all out. Its usually filled with cars and i drive hard never crossing the line. There were 2 cars when i got there and another 3 showed up before i left.

Did this as a test before i take it to the track and glad i did so i know what to possibly look out for.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
Wrniknbl
It's just not cricket
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Mine read max going to the track - read half empty on my way home.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
2010BMW335iXdrive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i xdrive

Just got low oil warning light after an oil change a couple thousand miles before. Turned out it was a cracked valve cover which had cause a significant oil leak. Valve cover on N54 is plastic, it had a 2 inch crack somewhere near the middle. The tech said it's been happening more and more with N54s as they get older and older. Something to keep in mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
MLSavage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010BMW135i View Post
Just got low oil warning light after an oil change a couple thousand miles before. Turned out it was a cracked valve cover which had cause a significant oil leak. Valve cover on N54 is plastic, it had a 2 inch crack somewhere near the middle. The tech said it's been happening more and more with N54s as they get older and older. Something to keep in mind.
How much was the repair?
Do they make valve cover's out of a different material?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
2010BMW335iXdrive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSavage View Post
How much was the repair?
Do they make valve cover's out of a different material?
I'm at 43k miles so it was covered under warranty, they replaced the cover with same OEM part. The fix took over 7 hours, even just the labor fees on that is expensive. I might buy the extended warranty if stuff like this keeps turning up.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
hydroboy35th
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

This is great news!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I notice some minor oil use when autocrossing regularly, which involves running the engine above 5000 RPM a lot. I do not notice this otherwise.
      02-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Well im gonna head out there again and see what happens. I know i have 7qts in there right now. Will gopro a couple runs
Appreciate 0