BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Samysonary
This is how I roll...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Accord

Aftermarket Radio

I have been debating whether to get the iDrive or get the standard radio and go aftermarket after I get the car. After reading a few threads, I found that even with the standard radio, certain settings of the car are controlled through the radio, like the MPG and changing the gong volume of the car. Please correct me if I am wrong, since I don't have the car yet and I am trying to see if what I already know about the car is correct.

So I am wondering if I do purchase the standard radio, or non-iDrive, if I would loose control of those certain features of the vehicle or even disable them in some way. Anyone have any input or experience? Thanks.

ps This is such a great community. Not only has the car sold itself to me but knowing the people behind other 1ers also gives me confidence and pride in being a future owner of a 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

If you remove the radio, the car will lose everything on the MOST bus (iPod, Assist, Bluetooth, CD Changer, etc). It's also a gateway module, so the car will not be able to have its software updated for recalls or repairs.

There are enough add-on sound processors out there that you really don't need to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

I love my 09's iDrive!!!! Get it, you know you want to.
      01-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

If you do go with the iDrive, you can still upgrade the Amp, and Speakers without changing if you want. The Amp is a separate unit in the Trunk. I didn't really want 4 or 5 year old Nav technology in my '08, but if I was buying an '09. I'd do it!
      01-29-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
Samysonary
This is how I roll...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Accord

Thanks for all the quick responses guy! The community here is absolutely amazing!

I have completely redone the audio system and my own car and as well as my gf's car. I have always felt that in whatever level car I get into, I feel that the factory head unit and amps are always lacking, making the highs too bright, the lows to broad, now mids, and everything sounds muddy and unclear. After putting in an aftermarket head unit, the music became much more clear, yet still lacked becuase of the weak amp in the aftermarket head unit and the paper coned speakers. Finally, after many hours ripping apart my car, installing speakers, wires, sound dampening materials, and building my own sub box, I had finally achieved the sound quality I was after.

WIth my future 1, I would want the sound quality to be on par with my current car now, since it will eventually become a daily driver for me. It is important for me to not only keep a simple thing like the radio controls on the steering wheel, but to also have access to other car setting through the stock head unit, and as Mad Dragon said, I would loose the ability to upgrade in the future. This, along with the updated 09 iDrive with a bigger screen and a HD based navigation, I am convinced that keeping the stock headunit is the way to go.

When I do get the car, I would be looking to rip out the factory speakers and installing a sound processor, amps, and better aftermarket speakers. One of my goals is to fit bigger speakers in the stock locations. I think the 4" woofers do not produce the mids as well as a 5 1/4" or a 6.5". I am hoping to at least put in 5 1/4" woofers, and maybe find a way to integrate a 6.5" in the stock locations. Of course, I will be creating a DIY for a project like this, for other 1ers with the same intentions as I do. Now I just have to wait for my time to pull the trigger on the 135i

ps I think these smiley faces are just awesome!