E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anyone know where to find the best/least expensive/snell-approved helmet?

02-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Anyone know where to find the best/least expensive/snell-approved helmet?

TIA

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

find a motorcycle store!!!

www.helmetharbor.com (although you should try on before buying, they all fit differently)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
DriverPerformance
Rep
Drives: E90 MSport

Garage List
2005 320d M Sport  [0.00]
2005 320d SE  [0.00]
Try this: http://www.impacthelmets.com/

Snell SA certified and well priced. Arai are the best IMO but are expensive. Hope this helps!

Just for interest, what are you using it for? Single seaters?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
Romulus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05 M3

snell certification doesn't mean squat. also, "cheap" and "good" can't go in the same sentence. buy a big name brand helmet and know that your head is wrapped in a good bucket.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Thanks for the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus
snell certification doesn't mean squat. also, "cheap" and "good" can't go in the same sentence. buy a big name brand helmet and know that your head is wrapped in a good bucket.
Romo,
A snell certification means I can go on the track -- which is slightly more than "squat".
I never said "cheap". Please don't misquote me. I want a good helmet, but that doesn't mean I have to spend $800.
Thanks anyway.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
ward
Major General
Rep

I'd figure for a driving school or trackday, the nice bucket around your head is a 325,

a simple hemet will be fine, there's no need for a 500 arai to be used 3 times on a autocross or track. If you're going to start riding a bike, then maybe talk about pricier helmets.

I'd recommend an HJC if they're comfortable, that's what I ride and track with (cheap)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
I'd figure for a driving school or trackday, the nice bucket around your head is a 325,

a simple hemet will be fine, there's no need for a 500 arai to be used 3 times on a autocross or track. If you're going to start riding a bike, then maybe talk about pricier helmets.

I'd recommend an HJC if they're comfortable, that's what I ride and track with (cheap)
Best answer ever.

Pic:

Specs:
Standard: Meets or exceeds SNELL & DOT standards.
Shell: Thermoplastic alloy shell.
Ventilation: Adjustable forehead ventilation .
Visor: 3 snaps smoke bubble visor.
Interior: Plush brushed nylon interior.
Others: Optional double lens shield available.
Size: 2XS to 2XL.
M.S.R.P.: Metalics/Flat Black: $69.99, Solids: $64.99 (XXL price is $5.00 higher).

Thanks ward. Perfect.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #8
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

I personally like the Snell Institute's test proceedures but, why do you need a Snell rated helmet. Has yout school (driving) told you that a Snell rating is required? Some do require Snell "A" after xxxx (year) while wmany will accept a curent D.O.T. "M" rated helmet.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #9
ward
Major General
Rep

I'd recommend going to a store though and trying, as it'd suck to have to spend all day in a really uncomfortable helmet

any bike dealer, or cyclegear or other shop should be a good resource
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #10
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
I personally like the Snell Institute's test proceedures but, why do you need a Snell rated helmet. Has yout school (driving) told you that a Snell rating is required? Some do require Snell "A" after xxxx (year) while wmany will accept a curent D.O.T. "M" rated helmet.
Yes, they specifically require one of snell ratings. Don't have them off hand.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #11
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
I'd recommend going to a store though and trying, as it'd suck to have to spend all day in a really uncomfortable helmet

any bike dealer, or cyclegear or other shop should be a good resource
I definately will -- mostly b/c of my gigantic melon!

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 12:32 PM   #12
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Take it from a motorcycle rider. Snell Institutes tests make helmets too stiff and hence the helmets transfer too many G's too your head.

I am in the process of changing my helmet from a snell approved HJC which, in a test done by Motorcyclist magazine, transfers 204 G to the head form, to a Shark or Suomy helmet which are both EC-22 (I belive that is the certification) which transfer 173 G and 171 G respectively. See the test done by Motorcyclist. Totally worth it.

PS. Arai are just as bad for transferring G-forces to the head forms as HJC and other Snell helmets.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 12:53 PM   #13
95M3CSL
Registered
Rep
Drives: 95M3

Helmet suggestions

Here are some suggestions. Getting a Snell SA and a Snell SA2005 does a couple of things: gives you a lot more options (in case you go to a track or drive with a club that requires SA rating), and, gives you those options for up to 10 years (because with a 2005 it will be "good" to use until 2015).

Helmet suggestions:

I have a Simpson voyager and like it. Full face, has shield that can make it closed. I wear a balaclava ("head sock with eyes and mouth") for sweat and dirt protection of the helmet. Fits with my glasses, fits my head, but it is heavy.

Snell memorial foundation provides rating systems for helmets: http://www.smf.org

The Snell Memorial Foundation is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to research, education, testing and development of helmet safety standards. Since its founding in 1957, Snell has been a leader in helmet safety in the United States and around the world.
2005 certification release date - October 1, 2005
The M2005 and SA/K2005 standards will be officially released on this date barring any
unforseen complications. M2005, SA2005 and K2005 decals will be offered to certified
manufacturers after June 30, 2005 but units bearing the new decals may not be distributed
until the release date (October 1, 2005).

Some things to think about:

1. You must try it on in the car, especially if you are tall person and/or have a sunroof. You must try it on before you buy the best deal you can get on ebay, online etc. Comfort is key!

2. The weight can differ. There are some very light but very expensive helmets out there. Try to spend for the lighter models.

3. Buy a Snell SA rated helmet as that is made for the inside of a car (vs. M rating which is for a motorcycle). Go to the Snell website to see the differences.

4. Make sure you have plenty of peripheral vision (they eye hole size can vary significantly between them).

5. If you buy a Snell SA00 that should be good until the Snell SA10 rated helmets come out (usually clubs like you to have one of the 2 most recent generations of rated helmet, they come out with new rating every 5 years, i..e Snell95 is still usable, Snell00 definitely, Snell05 comes out earliest in October). If you can wait and just borrow or rent for the rest of this year, see if you can get a Snell SA05 rated helmet and spend well on it. That will last you at least until the SnellSA15 helmets are out. Plus, also borrowing or renting lets you see if this track thing is not just a passing fad and that it will last.

6. Buy a balaclava (a “head sock”) and wear it because the balaclava will get dirty and sweaty and you can wash it. The helmet internal padding is much harder to wash.

7. Get a full face (i.e. has piece protecting chin) instead of what seems to be popular is head only and chin and face are exposed.

8. You'll be wearing this for 20-45 minutes at a time and in a relatively high G environment. The more comfortable the better, and, the lighter the better.

9. Think of momentum. If you have a 5 pound helmet that is an extra 5 pounds that will move around on top of your neck in case of an accident. Many people say "it's your head, how much is it worth to you".

10. Also get a neck brace.

11. See how easy it is to put the speaker of a communication device into your helmet because you will have to do that to hear the instructor in the car, you'll be slipping a flat "headphone" speaker piece in between your helmet padding and your ear to hear them.

12. Make sure that it fits with your glasses or sunglasses when you wear them. If you leave the face area not covered I highly recommend some sort of protective eyewear. I have been with 2 instructors when rocks or pebbles came in the window and hit them on their glasses or their eye. Your windows are open when you are on the track ( a requirement) and so you need the protection.

Oh, and don't buy a used helmet. You don't know what has happened to it.

Regards,
Marc
95M3
04 996 40th
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #14
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I ordered my from www.bellmotorsports.com
Pretty nice service.
      02-08-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
Romulus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
Thanks for the links.

Romo,
A snell certification means I can go on the track -- which is slightly more than "squat".
I never said "cheap". Please don't misquote me. I want a good helmet, but that doesn't mean I have to spend $800.
Thanks anyway.
Aye, well if that's why you need the cert, then by all means.. All too often people want a snell certified helmet b/c they believe it implies the helmet is "good", but in truth all it means is the company has paid snell pennies (literally) so they can put the sticker on their helmet.

sorry about misquoting with the "cheap".. didn't mean to.

I agree.. 800 is insane, 3-400 is the highest i would ever pay.. I would just hate to see you get a 69.99 helmet and race anything with it

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2006, 09:02 AM   #16
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus
Aye, well if that's why you need the cert, then by all means.. All too often people want a snell certified helmet b/c they believe it implies the helmet is "good", but in truth all it means is the company has paid snell pennies (literally) so they can put the sticker on their helmet.

sorry about misquoting with the "cheap".. didn't mean to.

I agree.. 800 is insane, 3-400 is the highest i would ever pay.. I would just hate to see you get a 69.99 helmet and race anything with it

No prob. Like someone said earlier the best bucket for my head is prob my 325i and all it's whiz-bang safety features.

And again, I do not plan on racing. I'm just looking forward to some track time. The Mid-America-Motorplex (not too far from Offutt, BTW) is a safe track with plenty of dirt to catch you -- should you leave the track.

Appreciate 0