BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
OT: No such thing as a free lunch?

Well. I guess you could say it's true.

I had my usual Thursday lunch today with a friend of mine at Verandah Bar in the CBD. It's a religious thursday lunch for us!

Ordered my usual: Chicken Schnitty and a Carlton draught.

Took 20 minutes for the schnitty to get to us. We woofed it down, but as i was cutting up the end of it, i realised it was rubbery and pink about 2 inches from the edge. Yes, RAW chicken!!! WTF?

I returned it to the kitchen and they took it off me - not a word. No "sorry" no "we'll replace it" no "please take a refund".... Nothing!

Fuming, we left. I got back to the office (with a sample of the raw piece in hand ready for the Food Authority) and called up the Authority. They said to keep the sample frozen for them so they can pick it up.

I then called the manager of the restaurant and read him the riot act. He apologised profusely, and he did sound very genuine. He said to give him 30 minutes to talk to his staff.

He called back 10 minutes later. He said next week if i want to come back, to give him a call and he'll free a table for me and a few friends for free drinks and full lunch to apologise.

So, THAT is customer service. For one dodgy meal, they're feeding around 6 more with drinks for free!

Also, anyone feel like a free lunch on Thursday?

Edit: I don't think i ate any of the raw section at all, so i think i'll be fine!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

I can make it.

And I'm sure some of the interstate'ers can arrange important business in Sydney on that day - we're a resourceful lot.

I think we could get 30-40 folks along.

That really would be piss funny to watch them react.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
I can make it.

And I'm sure some of the interstate'ers can arrange important business in Sydney on that day - we're a resourceful lot.

I think we could get 30-40 folks along.

That really would be piss funny to watch them react.
Well we have 13 confirmations in the office now! Mainly because everyone has seen the 'specimen' waiting for the Food Authority in the freezer!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 02:11 AM   #4
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Mainly because everyone has seen the 'specimen' waiting for the Food Authority in the freezer!
Thats gives you all the reason NOT to go...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 02:28 AM   #5
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Thats gives you all the reason NOT to go...
+1.

If a restaurant is not up to scratch in the first place I just demand my money back and do not go there again.

The problem with a ''free'' lunch is whether you want chicken marinated in spit or beef with a dollop of nose booger?

err ... no thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Zuzu... good point.. that being said, I'm tempted by the free drinks... lol
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 04:52 AM   #7
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Well we're all going to get a cheese platter each ($28) and about 45 VSOP's.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

I'd be more concerned about the phlegm content of the free meal. Months ago there was an article doing the rounds about how irate cooks and table staff adulterate food. I'd just demand a refund or just bust their butts via the Food Authority.

I went to a particularly crap place in City Beach last night. The paella was watery, the chorizo was steamed and the rice was underdone. The service was indifferent and I had to ask them to clear the table between courses. At the till there was no "Did you enjoy your meal? Thank you for coming etc" The usual shitty service that we regularly get dished up here in Perth.

My philosophy with places like that is never go back and just bag the place to at least 100 friends and acquaintances. Maybe the fact there were only three groups in the restuarant at 6:30pm should have told me something???

The most memorable service I have ever had was in 2000 at a restaurant in the Metlife (formerly PanAm) building in Manhattan. My wife and I were dressed like typical Aussie tourists - we walked off the street and were treated like royalty. I have never felt so special and I really did not mind giving a tip (US$50) for the experience. Of course I don't know if that's a good or bad tip but the waiter appreciated it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
Discotheque
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3 Neo

Being in the hospitality business myself I say go for the free meal, they will go out of their way to completly satisfy your every food & beverage need. I've had to deal with complaints along the same vein as that the food wasn't cooked properly, or finding something that shouldn't be in the food.

The thing is like everyone else is saying, it only takes one bad comment to give a restaurant a bad reputation, because you're more inclined to tell others of the bad food, bad service, bad experience all round.

Milk it hard I say, get all you can for nothing, but keep in mind I'm more than sure they're going to 'restrict' the free drinks to perhaps soft drink, tap beer and house wine.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discotheque View Post
Being in the hospitality business myself I say go for the free meal, they will go out of their way to completly satisfy your every food & beverage need. I've had to deal with complaints along the same vein as that the food wasn't cooked properly, or finding something that shouldn't be in the food.

The thing is like everyone else is saying, it only takes one bad comment to give a restaurant a bad reputation, because you're more inclined to tell others of the bad food, bad service, bad experience all round.

Milk it hard I say, get all you can for nothing, but keep in mind I'm more than sure they're going to 'restrict' the free drinks to perhaps soft drink, tap beer and house wine.
Thanks mate - good comment!

I think that you're right - the manager was seriously wondering how the hell a reputable city restaurant could serve a schnitty with half of it raw. He even said that "you and i both know the problems about serving anything undercooked, especially chicken".

I think it shook him up a bit - he sounded pretty shocked when I told him, and i checked their reputation with the Name & Shame list on the FA website and they're not listed as ever being fined or warned for anything.

I believe that schnitty was just one that slipped through to the keeper because of rushed kitchen staff. But then, when you're serving chicken you just have to make sure its cooked!

And we are milking it, half the office is coming next week
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

A couple of times I have had the bottle to reply truthfully when asked at the register "How was your meal?", when it's been average or worse. On all occasions that I can recall, it's totally thrown the staff and they don't know how to deal with it.

On one occasions, many years ago, our main was burnt. We commented to the waitstaff with no result, other than an apology. So, when we were leaving, I asked them to deuct the main course from our bill. Did that cause a ruckus or what. However, the Manager (who was called as I wasn't going to give ground) saw sense and waived it.

So, while these days I largely follow amk2192's lead and just leave, never to return and tell heaps of people several of my friends are braver and will actually say "the salad was terrible" or the "main was cold" and they usually end up with a reduction off the bill.

Yup, I live in Perth too :-(

Going out to dinner on Monday night to what has been a great experience in the past, hope to experience a repeat effort!

Oh, I always share when I have had a good experience and will always attempt to give positive feedback to the staff.

Last edited by SimonB; 10-02-2009 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Addendum...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

What I found is not many waiting staff genuinely ask "how's your meal" and rarely customers genuinely answer how their meal really was. I think a good waiter should be able to gauge the body language and tell how good the food really is. Just been to what is supposed to be the best restaurant in Brisbane - wine was great, wait staff was a bit confused with who is getting what, and despite the food I think was supposed to be nice, but it was a bit cold when it got out... When I was asked how was everything tonight, I reluctantly utter a single word good. If he was more sincere about asking about how everything was, I might have answer him truthfully.

The best restaurant I have been recently (well within in last year) is Aria in Sydney, fantastic wine, fantastic wine concierge, fantastic wait staff, and fantastic food - and just looking at their website - they have just open one up in Brisbane!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
What I found is not many waiting staff genuinely ask "how's your meal" and rarely customers genuinely answer how their meal really was. I think a good waiter should be able to gauge the body language and tell how good the food really is. Just been to what is supposed to be the best restaurant in Brisbane - wine was great, wait staff was a bit confused with who is getting what, and despite the food I think was supposed to be nice, but it was a bit cold when it got out... When I was asked how was everything tonight, I reluctantly utter a single word good. If he was more sincere about asking about how everything was, I might have answer him truthfully.

The best restaurant I have been recently (well within in last year) is Aria in Sydney, fantastic wine, fantastic wine concierge, fantastic wait staff, and fantastic food - and just looking at their website - they have just open one up in Brisbane!!!!!!
Was at Aria last Wednesday - still a great place. I'd go there anytime.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post

You're right mate.... Thinking about going there at some stage.... if you're interested we could arrange a few of the guys to go down one friday!
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #15
CT135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2009 135i Coupe  [0.00]
this is completely but if you like your food and are in London, you have to go to The Fat Duck. I had lunch there while on holiday in August, and it is simply amazing.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 04:49 AM   #16
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
You're right mate.... Thinking about going there at some stage.... if you're interested we could arrange a few of the guys to go down one friday!

I think we've managed to tread jack... anyway, we have problems arranging a drive day... you think we can arrange a feed?
Appreciate 0