BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-13-2016, 06:26 PM   #45
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WxBimmerMan
SO SORRY to hear that everyone with leases who want to buy, are getting $crewed. That's reeks of a class action suit against BMW for falling back on their contract.

My Question: Even though this car is under a voluntary recall until BMW/Takata find a fix, can I sell my 128i to a private buyer? There's no law I can find here in Texas that prohibits private sale of a "voluntary" recall.

Beyond the ethics questions in such a sale (I would provide full discloser to the buyer), I wonder if the DMV would accept a title transfer??

In another sense, because no 128i can be purchased from a dealer until this recall is done, wouldn't that make it in a bit higher demand? haha!

This site seems to suggest that as long as one makes sure the buyer signs a disclosure form, with all materials attached, I'd be fine. http://www.multibriefs.com/briefs/ti...fetyRecall.htm

(Seriously, anyone in the market here in Houston? I need a larger vehicle... family, etc. It's in excellent/good condition... black on black, 22,500mi, 2013.)

Thanks for your help on this thread!
Do you own it outright? If not then they will not release the title at this time. I'm wondering if I replaced the airbag myself if there would be a way around it, I would do that for the uno, I like it that much, but I have another year before the end of that contract. I would think this would be resolved by then.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #46
skillz1318
6MT User
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6MT

I'm trying to buy a used 128i msport now and it's frustrating I cannot buy one from a BMW dealer as many are still CPO
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #47
Mauler72
Rep
Drives: '13 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz1318 View Post
I'm trying to buy a used 128i msport now and it's frustrating I cannot buy one from a BMW dealer as many are still CPO
I feel your pain! I found a nice CPO 128i Convertible that has our name on it that can't be sold as the day prior to finalizing deal the stop sale order came down! Patience is a virtue, eh?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #48
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WxBimmerMan View Post
My Question: Even though this car is under a voluntary recall until BMW/Takata find a fix, can I sell my 128i to a private buyer? There's no law I can find here in Texas that prohibits private sale of a "voluntary" recall.

Beyond the ethics questions in such a sale (I would provide full discloser to the buyer), I wonder if the DMV would accept a title transfer??

In another sense, because no 128i can be purchased from a dealer until this recall is done, wouldn't that make it in a bit higher demand? haha!

This site seems to suggest that as long as one makes sure the buyer signs a disclosure form, with all materials attached, I'd be fine. http://www.multibriefs.com/briefs/ti...fetyRecall.htm

(Seriously, anyone in the market here in Houston? I need a larger vehicle... family, etc. It's in excellent/good condition... black on black, 22,500mi, 2013.)

Thanks for your help on this thread!
There is no law preventing you or a dealer from selling a used vehicle with an open recall. That's why BMW's stop-sale on used vehicles is voluntary and they are thus accepting a potentially substantial financial liability by refusing to sell used vehicles at the end of a lease, in contradiction to the lease terms, and refusing to take your vehicle in trade (loss of value). Of course they are already accepting a liability for death or injury, regardless of the stop-sale, for all the vehicles out there subject to the recall. The only way around this would be to exchange affected vehicles for ones not subject to the recall (caught between a rock and hard place, but that's one of the risks they take for the profits of making and selling cars).

Ironically, accepting affected vehicles for trade-in towards the purchase of a non-affected vehicle reduces this liability. So why not accept them for trade? Dollars. While an award for death/injury would be much greater than an award for diminished value or the cost of keeping the traded vehicle in inventory (until it is repaired), there will be many cases of the latter and few of the former.

As far as you selling your used vehicle, there is no requirement to make disclosures to a buyer. The recalls are a matter of public record, available to any buyer, and that is the disclosure.

And the thought occurred to me as well that this will create an increased demand for private sales of the affected vehicles. Many or most buyers are not going to be concerned (the fatality and injury rate is extremely low and there have reportedly been none in BMW's) and with dealers not selling them, the only choice is the private market.

Finally, another point to consider are affected vehicles under warranty. If they can't fix it, and apparently they cannot for an unspecified time, then the warranty requires them to replace it. Hmmm....perhaps I'll tell them I'll accept a new 228i in exchange for my '13 128i since they can't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #49
skillz1318
6MT User
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler72 View Post
I feel your pain! I found a nice CPO 128i Convertible that has our name on it that can't be sold as the day prior to finalizing deal the stop sale order came down! Patience is a virtue, eh?
Dealer just called me back saying they received an email that they should have parts Summer 2016 and once repairs are done they can then sell me a 128i. It's more annoying that they keep updating their website offering new cars for sale that they are unable to sell...

...the wait continues
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #50
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
I'm wondering if I replaced the airbag myself if there would be a way around it, I would do that for the uno, I like it that much, but I have another year before the end of that contract.
If you replaced it yourself, what would you replace it with?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #51
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
I'm wondering if I replaced the airbag myself if there would be a way around it, I would do that for the uno, I like it that much, but I have another year before the end of that contract.
It's irrelevant now, I was informed yesterday that BMW Financial is free to release titles as of last week.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #52
WxBimmerMan
-ologist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Sports package :-) ???

I doubt that very many states track recalls and use that information in the DMV for vehicle registration. Those states that don't require regular inspections (and there are a lot of them) almost certainly do NOT.
No packages on this 128i... basic as basic comes, but a sweet ride with low milage, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #53
heist_tub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i - Crimson Red

Just got my notice last week sadly, I think it's a little crazy that it takes them so long to make a solution. Kinda hoping that they take too long to replace when I take her in and I just get to pick a newer car. Or it blows up in my face and I get some serious cash and some serious plastic surgery
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #54
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heist_tub View Post
Just got my notice last week sadly, I think it's a little crazy that it takes them so long to make a solution. Kinda hoping that they take too long to replace when I take her in and I just get to pick a newer car. Or it blows up in my face and I get some serious cash and some serious plastic surgery
It won't blow up in your face any more than airbags normally do but it may send shrapnel into your legs. Just clarifying
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #55
heist_tub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i - Crimson Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
It won't blow up in your face any more than airbags normally do but it may send shrapnel into your legs. Just clarifying

That's it just a leg? Sorry BMWNA but I'll be taking a couple mill
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #56
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Just take the airbag out and leave the cavity exposed. You can then use the cavity to put in the Big Mac you are eating while driving, in between bites. You already have an ugly ass cup holder anyway.
Appreciate 0