BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Gray67
Noob to the Bimmers but loving the ride
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Vert

Recommendations for cleaning bird crap

For some reason birds seem to love crapping on black cars, especially right after they've been washed. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good surface cleaner? I'm getting mad enough to want to start shooting these damn things.
      01-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

My advice would be to remove the bird crap ASAP. Becuase the longer it sits on your paint the more it etches into it. Keep some detailer's juice in your trunk with some micro fiber towels. Also I would not use Zanio because it provides very little protection for B.C. Otherwise it is great product. I would use some polymer product like: Menzerna Power Lock Sealant. I love this stuff. G.L.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I agree with Dackelone, I used to use Zaino, but it seems to provide very little protection from bird bombs. I now use Blackfire Wet Diamond, which is very similar to Menzerna Powerlock and both are a little better than Zaino for protection, but what really works best is to top with a carnauba wax. Bird bombs eat right through sealants, but wax gives a moderate amount of protection. Of course wax doesn't last long, especially in the summer heat, so you'll need to reapply between full details and reapplication of sealant.

As for just cleaning off bird bombs, I keep a microfiber and some Chemical Guys quick detailer in the car and just spray and remove any avian gifts as soon as I notice them. As Dackelone said, the quicker you get to them, the better.

Last edited by Red Bread; 01-09-2012 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

As the other posters have mentioned, best to keep a bottle of quick detailer in your car with a nice microfiber. I frankly like to first spray off the bird crap with water as it dissolves very quickly. Then spray some QD on there and wipe off the rest. Last thing you want to do is rub on it as bird crap usually has small stones in it to help with their digestion. Great way to fook up your paint!

I was a big fan of Zaino years ago, but much better and easier products have come along since then. I love Menzerna Power Lock personally.
Appreciate 0