BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #45
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonX View Post
I have had both the AR Design Catted and non-Catted downpipes on my car along with all my other mods at the time.

I did ZERO dyno runs with this car, so I have no hard evidence but only my opinion about the two.

From Stock to the aftermarket pipes makes a helluva difference. Second most important mod for your turbo Bimmer.

With the catted pipes, it felt as if I had a lot more torque when launching my car from a stop, and even from 40-100mph.
It was a lot quieter than the catless pipes during normal driving conditions.
It didn't have the exhaust odor of non-catted pipes.
However, even with 'racing cats,' I still ended

up going to OEM downpipes in order to pass emissions. They will not pass in the state of California, unfortunately. I only passed after switching back to stock from failing the first time.

Catless "feels" like it has slightly less torque down low, but has a lot more pull up top.
You can hear the turbos scream when going WOT without resonated midpipes. (It almost sounds like a freight train)
My car shoots flames out the exhaust when shifting during WOT. (Dunno if this is common)
The pipes have a deep rumble even if running OEM cat-back exhaust.
It leaves an exhaust scent in the air but not overwhelming.

There is more but I cannot think of anything else to type.
It is 2:25am here and I am heading off to bed now.

P.S.

Anyone want to purchase AR Design Catless Downpipes (N54)?
I'm going catted with my 1M.

Hi, I'm considering catted AR downpipes on my 335i but very causious about the increased sound from the turbo and exhaust. I have a standard exhaust, will I see a big increase in noise. I'm nearly 36 & often visit clients in the car so really don't want to sound like a street racer.

Would really appreciate yours or anyone else's informed opinion on this.

Cheers

H
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #46
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Are cheap prostitutes with Herpes worth it? ....I think not!

:-)
      08-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #47
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135 tuorbbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
Are cheap prostitutes with Herpes worth it? ....I think not!

:-)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #48
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i E92 View Post
Hi, I'm considering catted AR downpipes on my 335i but very cautious about the increased sound from the turbo and exhaust. I have a standard exhaust, will I see a big increase in noise. I'm nearly 36 & often visit clients in the car so really don't want to sound like a street racer.

Would really appreciate yours or anyone else's informed opinion on this.

Cheers

H
Catted pipes are little more quiet than the non-catted version. You'll get a slightly more aggressive rumble, but not so much of a roar. It may be louder during WOT but not by much on a stock exhaust system.

You'll feel more power either way.
      08-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #49
Bdh821
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

I have catless. You will hear turbo spool a lot more, which is awesome! On a cold start the car is much louder but settles right down within a minute. Its louder during cruising bit nothing I'd consider ricy or obnoxious. I say go catless and do the bms dp fix v3. Worth every penny! For the record I'm running jb4 map 2, Helix fmic, match schnell 3" catless dps and golf tee mod
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #50
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonX View Post
Catted pipes are little more quiet than the non-catted version. You'll get a slightly more aggressive rumble, but not so much of a roar. It may be louder during WOT but not by much on a stock exhaust system.

You'll feel more power either way.

Thanks for the feedback, my main concern would be the turbo whine.

Would be fun for a week or so but i fear it would be come a pain in the ear pretty quickly as i like to drive with the window down as much as possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #51
htt760
PROcede it and Call it a DAY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT, 2011 335i

The catted one will solve the sound issue... I would suggest getting some like a 300 cell for a throatier exhaust, slight hp increase, more torque and to solve and smell issues. Either or will work.... Good luck.

Options:
1. Vishnu
2. AR design
3. ???
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #52
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by htt760 View Post
The catted one will solve the sound issue... I would suggest getting some like a 300 cell for a throatier exhaust, slight hp increase, more torque and to solve and smell issues. Either or will work.... Good luck.

Options:
1. Vishnu
2. AR design
3. ???
I would steer clear of a cat with a 4" body.... Way, way smaller than the OEM cat, will not make power.
      09-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #53
Yuchi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport Package

I have posted a thread but will post here as well...

Will the catless downpipes cause it to drone? I have CP-E catback exhaust /

Also, is the smell noticeable when the windows are up?
2009 BSM with Coral Red interior 135i: ///M-Sport Package // 20% tints //Cobb Protune by ProTuning Freaks// Carbon Fiber trunk lip spoiler // ADV.1 adv10 trakfunctions// H&R front and rear sway bars // Injen dual cone// CP-e full catback exhaust// AR catless downpipes // HPF FMIC // Quaife LSD // LUX Angel Eyes // Eibach Pro-Street S
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #54
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEngineer View Post
Going catless will not do much in terms of power, really....
Lol,I hope your kidding ?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #55
SukSqueezeBangBlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

If you're going to buy Downpipes buy them catless. You will most defiantly see more HP and TQ as well as better throttle response and allow your turbos to breath much easier. This allows them also to last longer and not choke up as much with all the high heat they're passing through the exhaust. Catted downpipes sometimes get wrecked if you're running a lot of boost and fuel. Most tuners i know recommend just getting cat less downpipes because of this. In conclusion buy CATLESS downpipes and enjoy the better performance and awesome sound your car will make.
      09-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #56
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattgfx View Post
If you're going to buy Downpipes buy them catless. You will most defiantly see more HP and TQ as well as better throttle response and allow your turbos to breath much easier. This allows them also to last longer and not choke up as much with all the high heat they're passing through the exhaust. Catted downpipes sometimes get wrecked if you're running a lot of boost and fuel. Most tuners i know recommend just getting cat less downpipes because of this. In conclusion buy CATLESS downpipes and enjoy the better performance and awesome sound your car will make.
SOunds like a mini diesel truck!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #57
PT's_vengeance
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 335xi n55 coupe

so I am going to bring this back with a question. I have the N55 335xi and with the xi I have a total of three cats. I would like everything I do to the car be easy to take back off so I can have it stock to ship back to the states. so I wanted to replace the downpipe with the 5" AR catted downpipe and run that while I am in germany. the reason why I go catted is because I don't want my car to be obnoxiously loud, and I would still like the convenience of passing inspections here. I understand that catless is the way to go, but I don't want my car throwing codes in my face all the time and I am not sure if the smaller cats can handle all the pressure now being put on them, rather than being slowed by the first cat.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #58
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
I cant deal with that smell though :/ dunno if its worth it and my friend went downpipe and catless and now white smoke is coming out the exhaust. More money to fix somethin that was working fine before. I guess if its all about speed then go for it.

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #59
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDoNiOn View Post
I cant deal with that smell though :/ dunno if its worth it and my friend went downpipe and catless and now white smoke is coming out the exhaust. More money to fix somethin that was working fine before. I guess if its all about speed then go for it.
The smoke is visible because he is catless. Whatever the problem causing the smoke was was always there. The cat was just masking it.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #60
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT's_vengeance View Post
so I am going to bring this back with a question. I have the N55 335xi and with the xi I have a total of three cats. I would like everything I do to the car be easy to take back off so I can have it stock to ship back to the states. so I wanted to replace the downpipe with the 5" AR catted downpipe and run that while I am in germany. the reason why I go catted is because I don't want my car to be obnoxiously loud, and I would still like the convenience of passing inspections here. I understand that catless is the way to go, but I don't want my car throwing codes in my face all the time and I am not sure if the smaller cats can handle all the pressure now being put on them, rather than being slowed by the first cat.
If you're worried about it, I'd replace the cat-back portion of the exhaust. Deleting those secondary cats, removing the crappy resonator, and upsizing the piping will help you with turbo response, and won't throw any codes if you aren't using a tune. Any gains with a cat-back can be learned by the stock DME as well. In addition you'll drop probably 50 lbs of weight. The stock midpipe and axleback are pretty heavy. I would recommend if you are deleting the secondary cats to get a resonated midpipe a la Berk or MadDad.

You will need a tune if you delete the primary cats with a downpipe. And, the gains on the N55 just aren't as big anyway. Adding a cat on there from what I've seen makes it almost not worth doing. We're talking 10-15 hp max for what, 800 bucks? No thanks. You could get a full cat-back for that much or less if you have it custom made, make the same gains in power, lose more weight, and the car will sound awesome (subjective).

Hope this helps.
      09-08-2015, 12:37 AM   #61
Miko226
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 335d

No. You will still fail emissions

08' n54 135i FBO E85 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #62
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattgfx View Post
Yes most will recommend going catless because you get more power, better sound and it costs less.

Going catted does not ensure that user will pass emission test. Cats also fail after a period of time which leaves you with a defective downpipe that cost a fortune

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0