BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Track Rotors

Anyone using, or know of, replacement rotors that will perform better on the track than OEM? Mine started showing cracks around holes after first track event. They are in bad shape now. I'm sure the dealer will replace but I am curious if there is a replacement that will perform better. And by better I'm looking for more heat dissipation and more durable.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

how deep is our pocket?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm willing to spend a little extra if it's an improvement over stock. Not deep enough for a BBK.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

I am sure there are a few options out there. As you likely know we share the same brakes with the M3 guys. I have no personal experience with any of the replacements, but check out the performance friction direct drive rotors. They will be slightly more expensive than stock, and will likely provide a noticeable difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Check out the M3 Suspension and Brake forum: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=755941&page=2

Short story is that if you're staying with the stock caliper it's hard to get substantiated more life with a non-OEM rotor. That may change in the future with the new rotor being developed mentioned in the thread.

FWIW, my rotors haven't shown the amount of wear as yours. I've used PFC pads exclusively (01's initially, then 06's and just ordered 08's).

Then again, I'm not using R track tires either.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed View Post
Check out the M3 Suspension and Brake forum: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=755941&page=2

Short story is that if you're staying with the stock caliper it's hard to get substantiated more life with a non-OEM rotor. That may change in the future with the new rotor being developed mentioned in the thread.

FWIW, my rotors haven't shown the amount of wear as yours. I've used PFC pads exclusively (01's initially, then 06's and just ordered 08's).

Then again, I'm not using R track tires either.
Thanks. I posted the same question to the M3 guys. They said what you said. I initially used Hawk dt70 and rcompounds. Swithched to pfc 01's. Just ordered 08's. I think I'll get dealer to replace, then see how 08's treat the OEM rotors.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

BTW, if you decided to go back to stock, I might consider sell my stock rotors. There is however a groove from a piece of rock on the left rear, freight could be a problem though as I live in Australia but if you don't mind waiting for say 6 weeks, surface mail could be cheap.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the offer. Hopefully the dealer will replace them now so I'll have a new set to work from.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I'm on my third set of factory rotors and, once I'm out from warranty, will likely move to Performance Friction Direct Drive rotors from Bimmerworld.

Because it's a true floating rotor design (unlike the stock pieces), upfront cost is a little higher. But the rotor costs are comparable.

I also expect that they'll stand up to track use far better than the stock rotors and have significantly longer life.

BTW, I'm already running front brake rotor cooling ducts.

Nei
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Racing Brake offers a good two-piece rotor upgrade:

http://www.hpashop.com/Racing-Brake-...-M3-Rotors.htm
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed View Post
Not true. Check out the Performance Friction Direct Drive rotors carried by Bimmerworld.

I'm on my third set of rotors and will be switching to the Performance Friction pieces when my current set needs to be replaced.

BTW, cooling will help preserve both rotor and pad life.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Performance Friction Direct Driver rotors are another excellent choice!
Appreciate 0