BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

paint is chipping (pic)

Washed the car this morning and found this.... car is under warranty.Now what do i do?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Looks like your bumper was painted - at some point.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Looks like your bumper was painted - at some point.
How? I bought the car brand new and it was never re-painted.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
How? I bought the car brand new and it was never re-painted.

Factory paint doesn't chip off like that. That bumper was most likely painted before you took delivery or maybe when your car was in for service? Stuff happens.

Btw... when a new car is damaged in shipping, before the dealer gets it... BMW(or any other car maker) does not have to inform the dealer. They simply fix it - at the port of entry. As long as the repair is under a certain percentage of the car's value. I wanna say 6%. Then once the dealer has it... there is another dollar amount that they can repair a car and not inform the new owner. I think it also depends on state law. Sometimes F the damage is really high, the car can be drieven as a demo and sold as used 0 t hide these repairs. But what I am getting too is that is it most likely your bumper was painted - painted.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

If I go to the dealership could they tell me if it was re-painted during transport? Also, I've noticed for a while that my bumper doesnt really align well with the fenders. I always thought it was from removing the bumper twice or more to fix bad fuel pumps. I also brought it up to my advisor and he said no it's fine. Should I go back and raise a concern?
Myles
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

If I go to the dealership could they tell me if it was re-painted during transport? Also, I've noticed for a while that my bumper doesnt really align well with the fenders(for almost 2 years). I always thought it was from removing the bumper twice or more to fix bad fuel pumps. I also brought it up to my advisor in the past and he said no it's fine, Im sure he was just blowing me off. Should I go back and raise a concern?
Myles
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

After waiting for BMW to answer back on my paint issues and rock chip on my bumper, they said no to fixing any of it under warranty. As soon as my lease is up I'm done with BMW. I've owned 3 BMW cars previous to my 1, and never ever had issues like I did with my 1 series. Between the HPFP issues I had and other symptoms from this issue, and now paint issues I'm done with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Why would BMW fix a rock chip? I'd also question that paint issue as it's an incredibly high wear area. It could have been damaged by you in a parking structure, by anyone clipping your bumper in a parking lot, or just some inconsiderate jerk with a shopping cart, dolly, etc. In summary, I don't think you have "paint issues" that have much, if anything to do with BMW.

I'd venture to guess that you won't find a car company who will accommodate your wishes. But good luck searching. As for the HPFP, how many days was your car out of service? I've had three HPFP's, the coils and plugs replaced, a bunch of other warranty work done, and I've had a loaner through it all. Net, net I've probably spent two hours of time dealing with BMW warranty issues. I'm not sure I'm buying a BMW for my next car, but it's not because they haven't done a fair job of taking care of my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Why would BMW fix a rock chip? I'd also question that paint issue as it's an incredibly high wear area. It could have been damaged by you in a parking structure, by anyone clipping your bumper in a parking lot, or just some inconsiderate jerk with a shopping cart, dolly, etc. In summary, I don't think you have "paint issues" that have much, if anything to do with BMW.

I'd venture to guess that you won't find a car company who will accommodate your wishes. But good luck searching. As for the HPFP, how many days was your car out of service? I've had three HPFP's, the coils and plugs replaced, a bunch of other warranty work done, and I've had a loaner through it all. Net, net I've probably spent two hours of time dealing with BMW warranty issues. I'm not sure I'm buying a BMW for my next car, but it's not because they haven't done a fair job of taking care of my car.
Paint only chips like that if it's been painted and my car has never been in an accident . I'm guessing that the cars' bumper was damaged during delivery to the US. Yes, they took good care of me while my fuel pumps were being replaced, but that's not the point. My point is I bought the car mainly for it's performance. In 2009 when I had my first pump replaced I noticed a lose of power and my SA promised me that they were working on the issue. Here I am 3 years later and dealing with a very laggy car. So wrong in many ways. I even bought the performance flash last winter thinking that would help, but it didn't.

Here is a quote from an article on Autoblog related to the class-action lawsuit against the N54:

"According to the law firm, the problem with the turbochargers is that defective examples cannot run at full capacity, resulting in strange noises underhood and noticeable throttle lag. BMW had initiated a software update, which made it so the turbochargers were "fixed," but apparently all they did was stop the turbos from being allowed to run at full tilt. This, in turn, resulted in a loss of power and noticeable lag, one of the very issues the N54's architecture was designed to eliminate."
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I've seen that type of paint damage on bumpers countless times, and not just on resprays. The plasticized primer that is used on bumpers nearly always fails that way. I'm not saying it couldn't be from a port-side respray, but it also could have just been from some generous soul planking your car in an open parking lot, or a valet decided to play a little Mario Kart.

As for N54's, I've had numerous reflashes, and the power delivery nearly always feels different after each one. Of course I've yet to see dynos back up any of the doom and gloom of the detuned theories. In fact, I continue to see N54's post higher dyno numbers than N55's, and some early N54's, even with high miles continue to post numbers close to the 335is and 1M numbers. I have yet to experience a large change in perceived lag though, and as I'm nearly out of warranty, I'll likely JB the car anyway.

I don't particularly care for the 135i, so if you want to abandon ship, I don't really blame you, I just think your previous post was a bit dramatic. Perhaps I read too much into it.

Alternatively, why not take it to another dealer and see what they say, or just your current dealer's body shop?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
dj john
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 118d performance

in norway this is a known problem.it,s silicon leftover under the paint..the paint will peel of over time.this has happened to me when i bought min 2008 mod 118d m-sport.go to the dealer and make them fix it for you.good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I have the same peeling of clear coat on my bumper. Been waiting 3 or 4 weeks for it to be evaluated by some regional BMW service person.

I think it's BS - no way this is "normal wear and tear." I've had many cars before (all less expensive than this one, BTW) and though most have had their share of door dings and shopping cart bites, I've never had an 12"-18" section of clear coat just peel off like this. Moreover, there is no visible damage whatsoever - no dents, rock chips, scrapes, nothing. Pretty magical for a valet or a shopping cart to do that.
      03-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #13
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I have the same peeling of clear coat on my bumper. Been waiting 3 or 4 weeks for it to be evaluated by some regional BMW service person.

I think it's BS - no way this is "normal wear and tear." I've had many cars before (all less expensive than this one, BTW) and though most have had their share of door dings and shopping cart bites, I've never had an 12"-18" section of clear coat just peel off like this. Moreover, there is no visible damage whatsoever - no dents, rock chips, scrapes, nothing. Pretty magical for a valet or a shopping cart to do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post

Agreed, that sounds like a pure defect, as it's much larger than the above picture and the peeling certainly sounds like a contaminant was under the primer, or simply that the wrong primer was used. Maybe I'm not seeing the right detail in the picture above, but that looks more like parking lot damage from an impact that pushed the plastic bumper in and the resulting damage when it popped back out.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Paint problems on the bumper are common
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #16
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Nearly every single dealer in the country fixes some defect or repaints a bumper cover on atleast one car a month on their lot. They are allowed up to 700 dollars in repairs ( I think) without having to even disclose it to the consumer. Sometimes your salesperson or manager dosnt even know about it because it was performed after it was PDI(ed) and found to need the re-spray. My local ford dealer re-paints EVERY SINGLE GT500 front lip spoiler because it scrapes coming off the truck. buyers have no clue thinking their prestine, garage kept, low mileage GT500 was ever touched...

You would be surprised the amount of stuff they can get away with. Either way, it should still be covered under warranty so long as you can convince them its an actual defect and not physical damage from outside sources like other cars, mother nature, carelss washing, etc. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #17
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
My local ford dealer re-paints EVERY SINGLE GT500 front lip spoiler because it scrapes coming off the truck. buyers have no clue thinking their prestine, garage kept, low mileage GT500 was ever touched....
That is purely wrong. I can't see Ferrari and Lambo dealers accepting that as normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #18
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
That is purely wrong. I can't see Ferrari and Lambo dealers accepting that as normal.

My 2011 5.0 Mustang had to get some service done and I was BSing with the body shop manager asking him why he was painting a new GT500 mustang and thats the answer I got. Then again, a GT500 isnt a lambo...
Appreciate 0