BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2015, 01:26 AM   #1
Maxsensation
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

brake / rotor selection

I was wondering if it's fine to run different brand rotors on the car. Front and rear that is.

I picked up a set of Stoptec drilled fronts and now i need rears. I only DD the car and dont do any track work. So i was thinking of just going centric high carbon plains for the rear.

I guess itll be fine?

Ill be picking up some Stopteh street performance pads to to go along with it. guess this setup will work right? or should i go with Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

You should be fine. Centric owns StopTech. I would recommend the semi-metallic over the ceramic centric posi pads. Either way, they will have less dust than the ST street performance pads. the street performance pads will have more bite and dust. It will be a matter of preference.

I've been using the centric posi semi metallic for our Q7 and E500 and my parents' Cayenne and E550.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
Maxsensation
Lieutenant
Rep

ill definintly nee something with more stopping power. i dont like the brake dust either. so those things are major cosiderations
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

The ST street performance pads will be fine. If you really want lots of bite, you can also consider Porterfield R4S. It's the street version of the R4 which I use for my track events.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

Just a little food for thought. Brakes don't stop the car, tires do.

If you can threshold brake and you are starting to lock up the tires you need a stickier tire. If you can do the same and not lock up the tires, a better/more aggressive pad would be ideal but tires really are the problem. In the end, tires stop the car.

Don't get me wrong, performance pads make a tremendous difference with initial bite, modulation, release and feel. The other major added benefit is the resistance to heat, which usually is for track purposes.

I like Stop Tech pads but find they're not enough for track but an ok alternative to daily use. Honestly I put them on par with the BMW OE pads in terms of performance. I would like a better initial bite, as the ST Street pads are more progressive and need a little more pedal effort to get the desired results.

Overall the ST pads are a decent value for the money.

As rotors are concerned, unless you are tracking the car I see zero reason why you would change to a slotted/drilled other than looks. Slotted and drilled rotors actually increase pad wear to a degree and thus shorten the life of the pads. Are there benefits, yes but really only for track purposes. But hey... they sure look the business.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Maxsensation
Lieutenant
Rep

ill have 225/245 MPSS running. so im not too concerned about tires.

I went with drill since i got an awesome deal on them, or else i would of went with blanks. They look nice, so i don't mind sacrificing a little on them.

I personally never ran centric nor stoptech pads before and only had hawks on my previous car. plus i dont track my car at all, so i dont need something to crazy either.
Appreciate 0