BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Koni Yellows just came in, damaged?

I just received my Yellow shocks today, and I was trying to tune them. They're not very easy to adjust lol. For how expensive these are, they really could have been a tad easier to adjust. That aside, I think one of my front shocks is damaged? I'm using the included tool on the top of the shaft and it just keeps spinning and spinning and never reaches an end. I've tried this both compressed and uncompressed. It just spins.
      07-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
klick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i M Sport 6MT

Yea, that sounds like a defective shock. You should be able to feel a noticeable "click" when you are adjusting the front shocks. If you are the original owner, just send them to Koni and they should give you a replacement since these things have lifetime warranty.

As for difficulty, I think the fronts are fairly easy, its the rears that are annoying since you have to completely remove them, then press them in to adjust.

I don't think they are really expensive though. I got my set for $550 (maybe $600) brand new off eBay. Great price if you ask me for quality shocks designed for performance.
E82 128i M-Sport 6MT - Black Metallic Sapphire - MFactory Helical LSD, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Swift Spec-R Springs, E90 M3 Front Sway Bar, M3 Front Control Arm Set, Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushings, Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, Active Autowerke N52 Tune, aFe Magnum FORCE Stage-2 CAI, Active Autowerke Headers, Custom Muffler Delete, BMW Performance SSK, ZHP Shift Knob, eBay Clutch Stop
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klick View Post
Yea, that sounds like a defective shock. You should be able to feel a noticeable "click" when you are adjusting the front shocks. If you are the original owner, just send them to Koni and they should give you a replacement since these things have lifetime warranty.

As for difficulty, I think the fronts are fairly easy, its the rears that are annoying since you have to completely remove them, then press them in to adjust.

I don't think they are really expensive though. I got my set for $550 (maybe $600) brand new off eBay. Great price if you ask me for quality shocks designed for performance.
I don't think I notice a click even on the good front shock. Wait, so you don't need to compress the front shocks fully to adjust them? Only the rears? Their website says they need to be compressed fully I thought.
      07-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh great, now I was just playing around with the adjustment on the good front shock and it started just endlessly spinning. Are these re-manned items? That would explain the lifetime warranty. I noticed the boxes for the fronts were ripped open from the sides when I received them, and I was hoping for the best, but it seems now that these aren't up to snuff. The adjustment cap on one or two shocks had rust inside, which may mean it was used previously. Bought from ECS Tuning.
      07-01-2015, 11:54 PM   #5
klick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i M Sport 6MT

The fronts do not need any compressing, only the rears. Weird that the adjustment cap is rusted, mine definitely were all clean and new. You should call ECS and see if they can send you a different set of struts.
E82 128i M-Sport 6MT - Black Metallic Sapphire - MFactory Helical LSD, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Swift Spec-R Springs, E90 M3 Front Sway Bar, M3 Front Control Arm Set, Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushings, Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, Active Autowerke N52 Tune, aFe Magnum FORCE Stage-2 CAI, Active Autowerke Headers, Custom Muffler Delete, BMW Performance SSK, ZHP Shift Knob, eBay Clutch Stop
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
128GP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 328i 6sp RWD M Sport

Bilsteins ftw
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
Dilmorecg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

My fronts stop on each end when turning the knob. I think you should exchange them.

My boxes came all ripped up too...I think its just how they are packaged.
      07-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Koni's do not click, they simply are sweeps. You should have a total of 2 to 2 1/4 sweeps total.

Rear yellows need to be compressed for adjustments.

Contact your vendor or Koni for warranty if the adjustment does not end.
Appreciate 0