BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #199
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Ummm... this isn't just this day. Most results posted in these forums from this dyno have a similar theme.

Either way, yes you cannot compare this that blah blah. But when multiple results, across the span of over a year can be quite compelling. Especially when we have higher humidity and temps in the Sunshine state :-)

Out of interest froop, what times did you get on the track with what mods?
Definitely the higher humidity and temps will sap your results and possibly that can be one of the reasons for generally lower dyno results. Though if you say your stock 1Ms tending to be getting around 230 it seems similar to most of our 1Ms too as Zuzu said.

I went on the 13th of March to the street meet at WSID. It was my second trip there. First time was last year with my E88 which was auto, had a procede and DCIs. I ran a 13.2 @ 103 mph.

I bought an E82 135i (Kenny's old car). It's a 6MT and my first manual car so when I went to WSID I'd only been driving a manual for 3 weeks . Probably not the best idea but I'd been itching to take it to the strip.

When I went, mods included a Procede, Meth, FBO, stock intake, half cage (added weight haha). I had 4 passes with my best by far being the third pass at 13.033 @ 118mph. I had a 2.1s short. I was actually quite surprised (happy) with this pass because I didn't expect myself (not the car) to do that "well"

Before the dyno day I installed a Mr5 style intake. Hopefully I'll be able to head back to WSID soon because I'm definitely interested in trying a few different launch techniques, maybe 2 step, NLS etc to see whether I can launch out of the hole better and get into those 12s.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #200
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
As far as I know, the only guy that get's dyno's AND takes it to the strip is Edwin?
Hi Richard!

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #201
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Ummm... this isn't just this day. Most results posted in these forums from this dyno have a similar theme.
Richard your point is that all cars in NSW have unrealistically high dyno numbers compared to all cars in QLD.

Like it's some state of origin dyno competition!

Really dude, let it go. It doesn't matter if yu're right or wrong. In fact I'll sign a stat dec declaring I beleive you to be 100% right: all NSW cars dyno too high compared to the morally superior QLD dynoed cars!

I'm just being silly but I hope you see what I mean. Who gives a f**K?

Only drag strip results count and even then only ET with raceweight and atmo/strip conditions.

It doesn't matter. IT DOESN'T MATTER!

*** IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!!!!! ***

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 02:01 AM   #202
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Richard your point is that all cars in NSW have unrealistically high dyno numbers compared to all cars in QLD.

Like it's some state of origin dyno competition!

Really dude, let it go. It doesn't matter if yu're right or wrong. In fact I'll sign a stat dec declaring I beleive you to be 100% right: all NSW cars dyno too high compared to the morally superior QLD dynoed cars!

I'm just being silly but I hope you see what I mean. Who gives a f**K?

Only drag strip results count and even then only ET with raceweight and atmo/strip conditions.

It doesn't matter. IT DOESN'T MATTER!

*** IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!!!!! ***
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #203
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

We need to get more people back out to the strip. I was reading the Australia Drag Racing Standings thread and there used to be heaps of activity! There was some good competition going for a bit.

I've also noticed there's also only 2 MT's on there but surely there must be a few more MTs (and even ATs) out there at the strip. Once I get a sub 13s pass I'll post up my timeslip.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 02:35 AM   #204
eriktufa
3r1k
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 MY08 BMW E92 335i

Dyno says one thing but I believe that trap time is the accurate way to measure how fast the car is
      03-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #205
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

OK next time your in Sydney drop in and I will give you a FREE few runs then you will be able to compare the results.
There is no need to turn the Dyno Day thread into a bullshit battle ground.

We do these days so that you can all have a few laughs and learn about you car from others with the same hobby.

The dyno results are full of information, you can compare tunes and mods on the same day on the same dyno. I think this is a good thing I see no bad points.

My other car makes 560kw at the wheels do I care NO
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #206
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
OK next time your in Sydney drop in and I will give you a FREE few runs then you will be able to compare the results.
There is no need to turn the Dyno Day thread into a bullshit battle ground.

We do these days so that you can all have a few laughs and learn about you car from others with the same hobby.

The dyno results are full of information, you can compare tunes and mods on the same day on the same dyno. I think this is a good thing I see no bad points.

My other car makes 560kw at the wheels do I care NO
And Pete, just to prove my point,( that its not about dick swinging, as some seem to think ) I discussed with you that we don't post up dyno numbers this time, just to avoid this crap.

And exactly what we spoke about happened... The thread gets trolled.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #207
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

I don't really understand why this needs to become a debate. The day was really good fun. I found that everyone was super friendly and happy to chat. Interesting to compare different results and chat about modifications. Personally I wouldn't try to compare absolute numbers to other Dynos - I don't even know where that idea came from. Maybe BBK should come down to visit so he can satisfy his own curiosity if its so important to him. I thought it was extremely gracious of Peter to offer that.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #208
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
I don't really understand why this needs to become a debate. The day was really good fun. I found that everyone was super friendly and happy to chat. Interesting to compare different results and chat about modifications. Personally I wouldn't try to compare absolute numbers to other Dynos - I don't even know where that idea came from. Maybe BBK should come down to visit so he can satisfy his own curiosity if its so important to him. I thought it was extremely gracious of Peter to offer that.
Yup I agree, its always a great day to perve on a heap of nice cars, eat a snag sandwich and put some faces to the names all thanks to Advan.

But as the old adage goes you can't please everyone

I'm already looking forward to the next one, perhaps a nice cool winters day will start producing some more likeable numbers!?! haha
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #209
1MOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M AW & F15X5 40d & M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
Try the stage 1 aggressive stock throttle maps, linear throttle is terrible, with the cobb tune, and any other tune i suspect on the 1m, without added mods, you will notice a difference low down but virtually no benefit high up, cobb stage 1 is no quicker at all for track driving, feels good around town however.

and that is a healthy baseline, N55 mids have to be the best mod ever!!!
I put on Stage 1 aggressive ST map and totally agree with you. The car is much more responsive low down between 2000-3000rpm and that's what I was looking for, the car is much more enjoyable to drive now when not pushing hard.

Cheers,
Quang
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #210
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOz View Post
I put on Stage 1 aggressive ST map and totally agree with you. The car is much more responsive low down between 2000-3000rpm and that's what I was looking for, the car is much more enjoyable to drive now when not pushing hard.

Cheers,
Quang
That seems to be the best map for minimal or no mods on 98 octane,

Glad you are enjoying the Cobb Quang,,
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:45 AM   #211
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: When He Has To

Quote:

Either way, yes you cannot compare this that blah blah. But when multiple results, across the span of over a year can be quite compelling. Especially when we have higher humidity and temps in the Sunshine state :-)

Out of interest froop, what times did you get on the track with what mods?
I've only had my car for a 4-5 weeks and only get to drive it on weekends. One thing I noticed is that it does not like the heat very much.

I am going by the seat of the pants dyno here but it has less pull on a hot afternoon compared to a cool morning.

I am guessing the guys in vic might see better power figures due to the cooler ambient temps.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #212
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Hi all
Here are all the dyno runs we did on the day some good some not so good but that's how it is .

We have some prizes to give out to the following car types

Top power N54
Top power N55
Top power NA

And the boys choice for the Jacket

If you could have a look at the graphs and let us all know if you are the winner. then come into Advan and claim your prize.

Here is the link to photobucket also there are more photos of the cars on the day http://s306.photobucket.com/user/sky...0sheets?page=1
Also there is a Castrol Jacket to be won only catch is you have to give a reason why you should win the Castrol jacket and the Advan staff shall choose who is the winner is. So get your thinking caps on and give us a good reason

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 03-27-2013 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #213
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hi all
Here are all the dyno runs we did on the day some good some not so good but that's how it is .

Top power N54
Top power N55
Top power NA

If you could have a look at the graphs and let us all know if you are the winner. then come into Advan and claim your prize.

Here is the link to photobucket also there are more photos of the cars on the day:http://s306.photobucket.com/user/sky...0sheets?page=1

Also there is a Castrol Jacket to be won only catch is you have to give a reason why you should win the Castrol jacket and the Advan staff shall choose who is the winner is. So get your thinking caps on and give us a good reason
Hi Pete... I should win the castrol jacket, cause I am the first one to let you know, that the photobucket link does not work..

AND.... I make a good cup of tea.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #214
TWD
Australia
Rep
Drives: All sorts of Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Hi Pete... I should win the castrol jacket, cause I am the first one to let you know, that the photobucket link does not work..

AND.... I make a good cup of tea.
LOL!

I should win the jacket, because I need something to clean the ADVAN 335 with.....and then you can say "My car was cleaned with Castrol"
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #215
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

try http://s306.photobucket.com/user/sky...0sheets?page=1
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #216
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Froop or edwin for the jacket
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #217
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Hi all

Top power N54
Top power N55
Top power NA

Here is the link to photobucket also there are more photos of the cars on the day http://s306.photobucket.com/user/sky...0sheets?page=1
Pete, the Castrol jacket is mine cos the exhaust fault code came on again today I need special consolation
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #218
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

I vote me for the jacket Pete, interstate visitor with 6 hours driving and 600ks on my car just to come to your shop, for the first time, and we had a great morning, thanks again mate.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #219
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Edwin for the jacket. Because 262kW on just a tune is just silly.
      03-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #220
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Very interesting indeed. Just looking at the data analysis from the track day and my 1M is showing 267.9 max from one of the laps. So, looks like the dyno married up quite well with on track conditions. I would have been in 3rd gear at that point in time at the straight. Interestingly in that lap I was holding 3rd gear a bit longer pass 6600, and peak power comes between 6000-6300 which is also consistent for cars that have an upgraded intake.
Appreciate 0