BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

HSV or FPV ute anyone?

I'm considering getting a ute in the next 12 months to replace my Nissan X-trail 4WD. Initially I was planning to get a 2nd hand X5 or something of that nature but lately I've been looking at the HSV an FPV range. I know these cars aren't everyones cup of tea and they are pretty common on our roads but I think Holden and Ford have come a long way in terms performance and design and they are great value.

The other 4WD's I've looked at for the same kind of money are missing a big chunk of the performance that I know these utes can give me. After owning the 135i I've realised I'm a bit of speed fanatic so I really don't want something too slow and boring. Also, keep in mind that this car will be used as a work/daily driver to haul around junk from time to time.

If there's any options I've missed let me know. Also, I'd like to hear from people who have experience with these cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I'm considering getting a ute in the next 12 months to replace my Nissan X-trail 4WD. Initially I was planning to get a 2nd hand X5 or something of that nature but lately I've been looking at the HSV an FPV range. I know these cars aren't everyones cup of tea and they are pretty common on our roads but I think Holden and Ford have come a long way in terms performance and design and they are great value.

The other 4WD's I've looked at for the same kind of money are missing a big chunk of the performance that I know these utes can give me. After owning the 135i I've realised I'm a bit of speed fanatic so I really don't want something too slow and boring. Also, keep in mind that this car will be used as a work/daily driver to haul around junk from time to time.

If there's any options I've missed let me know. Also, I'd like to hear from people who have experience with these cars.
Great Wall Autos.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Great Wall Autos.
Nah definitely not. I'm looking to spend anywhere from 50-75k.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
What do you use your current 4wd for?
If you need it to tow a boat or a jet ski, ditch the HSV/FPV idea as they have ridiculously low towing capacities, something in the range of 4-500kg MAX.
If you don't need to tow anything then you'll be in for a tyre-burning-fun-of-a-time!
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
Lukkyphil
Paddleslapper
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5 aka The Tractor

With the imminent demise of the Falcon not sure I would be heading down that path. Resale/parts could well become an issue.

I own a 07 (E series) Maloo R8, and they aint too bad, your main limitation is the hard tray top does limit how big an item you can store in the tray and still be able to lock it. The payload is only 350-400kg at any rate.

Other issues. Tyres if you have the 20" (most do) you are looking at $800 a corner for tyres with maybe 20K life in them. They are also very heavy and eat front rotors and pads, expect to replace both every 25-30K. Fuel wise about 350kms per tank (60L).

Other than that the seats are pretty flat and unsupportive, brakes are very good for such a heavy car, they are quite floaty at speed however (definately underdamped), changed to Bilsteins and that helped alot. You still cant get away from the fact that wet weight is close enough to 1900kgs, and that is alot of car to stop or turn.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
What about a Hilux?

Landcruisers are meant to be good for towing stuff too.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
What about a Hilux?

Landcruisers are meant to be good for towing stuff too.
I think you missed the "really don't want something too slow and boring" bit Matty
If I had to choose between a Falcon or Commodore Ute I think I'd go with the Commodore. The Falcon doesn't have independent rear suspension. Falcon may have a bigger payload because of this though?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
..............If there's any options I've missed let me know. Also, I'd like to hear from people who have experience with these cars.

Try an SSV Ute with one of these........

Add some decent brakes, many options out there, cheaper than a Maloo, sounds awesome and very quick.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 01:52 AM   #9
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
I think you missed the "really don't want something too slow and boring" bit Matty
If I had to choose between a Falcon or Commodore Ute I think I'd go with the Commodore. The Falcon doesn't have independent rear suspension. Falcon may have a bigger payload because of this though?
Oh ja, missed it big time!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 02:28 AM   #10
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I know I am not answering a question - what's your x trail like offroad?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 04:29 AM   #11
CT135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2009 135i Coupe  [0.00]
i might be missing somthing ... but do HSV or FPV have anything that is actually a 4WD?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 05:25 AM   #12
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Not too sure about the HSVs but some of the FPVs are pretty awesome. I work with Fords as well and I must say the grip and handling is really something.

They have a Super Pursuit Ute on the floor now and must say it does look the part and I never liked these things before now.

But like MPower and Lukkyphil said it's not really any good for payload or towing, mostly just a toy. That said 315kW Boss V8 is nothing to scoff at!

CT135, none of them are AWD, apart from the Territory. Apparently FPV used to make Territory called the F6X! I can check if there's any of them about, if you like?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 05:44 AM   #13
CeeJay
Private
Rep
Drives:

If you want mumbo, the f6 ute with a tune and catback should get you a high elevens street car or try CAPA's website.
They do a range of VE NA/SC SSV utes up to 480kw, with I think from memory a 12 month warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 06:09 AM   #14
m 135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Gtr,135i,M235i,XR6 turbo

My work car
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just to clear things up, I do want something with a respectable amount of speed and also something that looks good as I'll have to look at it every day. I've been going back and forth between the HSV Maloo Ute and the FPV F6 Tornado Ute. I would love something like an X6 but they are way beyond what I am willing to spend. Also, I can't imagine being satisfied with the N54 in such a heavy car, I'd need the X6M to truly enjoy it in terms of performance.

The Maloo will give me the V8 grunt which I've never had before and the F6 Ute is only a V6 turbo'd but has a phenomenal amount of speed from 70-120km/hr that not many cars can match. It's hard to decide between the 2. The HSV will probably see a new series in the next year as well so it would be worthwhile hanging out for that. To complicate things even more the on the front page of the latest Motor Mag it says the new FPV GT model will have a 5.0l V8 Supercharged with 325kw and 600nm torque and rev out to 7000rpm

I'm still researching both cars and having a tough time deciding. They are both equally good. I may even settle for an SS ute as it seems like the more sensible option but we'll see what happens. For those that brought up the 4WD factor, this car will not be going off-road and I won't be towing anything around. I just need the extra space to move stuff around from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #16
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I know I am not answering a question - what's your x trail like offroad?
Hey sparoz I've never taken it off-road. I needed a bit more boot space but I didn't need a big 4WD because I don't tow things around or go off-road and I didn't want a station wagon because I find those ugly so the x-trail was the best small 4WD at the time. I bought it back in 2004 and I've been very happy with it for what it is.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #17
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

If you like I can get the FPV guy at work to give you a call and talk you through the Ford stuff. I've driven the F6 Sedan and that Turbo Straight 6 is really something and has more torque than a V8 so it's pretty good as package. Although, I have heard some concerns over the longevity of the things, so if you want to keep the thing for more than 5 years, V8 Maloo might be the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 01:18 AM   #18
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Just to clear things up, I do want something with a respectable amount of speed and also something that looks good as I'll have to look at it every day. I've been going back and forth between the HSV Maloo Ute and the FPV F6 Tornado Ute. I would love something like an X6 but they are way beyond what I am willing to spend. Also, I can't imagine being satisfied with the N54 in such a heavy car, I'd need the X6M to truly enjoy it in terms of performance.

The Maloo will give me the V8 grunt which I've never had before and the F6 Ute is only a V6 turbo'd but has a phenomenal amount of speed from 70-120km/hr that not many cars can match. It's hard to decide between the 2. The HSV will probably see a new series in the next year as well so it would be worthwhile hanging out for that. To complicate things even more the on the front page of the latest Motor Mag it says the new FPV GT model will have a 5.0l V8 Supercharged with 325kw and 600nm torque and rev out to 7000rpm

I'm still researching both cars and having a tough time deciding. They are both equally good. I may even settle for an SS ute as it seems like the more sensible option but we'll see what happens. For those that brought up the 4WD factor, this car will not be going off-road and I won't be towing anything around. I just need the extra space to move stuff around from time to time.
When is that GT expected to arrive, is that engine confirmed??

I want a ute too...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 03:14 AM   #19
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

A couple of things ...
The locally built falcon is looking unhealthy but that doesn't mean a 'new' falcon won't appear just without a chassis for sale in only one place. If it ends up being based on a FWD taurus they can shove where the sun don't shine however.
If you are towing, leaf springs are rated higher than IRS .. if this matters
Turbo straight six is awesome.. it eats current SSs. Don't bother arguing Holden fans.. it just does
Ford V8 is a surprise package, don't believe the bad PR it gets.
Commodore / HSV has a great V8.. the LS series engines really are the epitome of the pushrod V8 .. well, except for a cleveland of course

I have a G6E Turbo and love it .. but I would love it better if it came with the slower V8 ... the inner bogan in me perhaps ? I don't think you could go wrong with either.. follow your gut.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #20
mac135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i, black, auto, s'roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by xa-coupe View Post
A couple of things ...
The locally built falcon is looking unhealthy but that doesn't mean a 'new' falcon won't appear just without a chassis for sale in only one place. If it ends up being based on a FWD taurus they can shove where the sun don't shine however.
I'm not a fan of either the GM or Ford product but recognise that they both have some performance ability in their upgraded forms ie HSV and FPV.

I'm currently in the States and driving a 3.5ltr SOH ( I gather this is the high output version) Ford Taurus with AWD. This is the brand new (as I understand it) so called Euro Taurus. It is utter, utter rubbish. I just can't imagine a performance version of this lump. It is vile.

If the RWD drive Falcon is soon for the dustbin and, if the Taurus is the base on which the replacement is built, then a last of the line F6 might just be a good investment(?)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #21
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

My plan is for the 135 as the next car ... obviously that depends on what the future brings
My experience with US ford quality is pretty much the same as yours. I drove a V6 mustang in 2007 and was blown away at how such a pretty car was so, well, vile.
If we get a direct US import rather than building the car locally or it's a FWD no matter where it's made, then I won't be buying a new Ford. If the Beemer doesn't work at the time I will be in a commode rather than something like that Mustang.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 05:06 AM   #22
CJM
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Was in a similar situation to you recently. After driving around now in a 135i it can be hard to go backwards in terms of power. Test drove the two different makes of utes and I must say that the F6 ute felt considerably more powerful, in fact, in a straight line, to me, much faster. It's quite good for a low $60K ute (fully loaded - leather, colour premium screen etc). Its ipod integration is great, good front Brembos, great manual gearbox - found in Vipers/Corvettes, great motor (not as refined as our 135i cars but a character all of its own - great turbo flutter noises). The steering is lighter than the 135i and of course no where near as agile, but its ride is surprisingly smooth. I'm sure the other make is good too but for me, the F6 ute is great as a daily driver as its clutch/steering is relatively light and the ride is comfortable. Fuel economy is also better than the competition. Negatives? Of course, premium sound doesn't compare to ours, and some other omissions that should be there but overall the positives outweigh the negatives. Ultimately, test drive both, they're both good in their own way but for me F6 is the winner... by a long shot.
Appreciate 0