BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Thoughts on Sirius-XM?

I've been a subscriber to XM Radio since '05, and me and my wife both really enjoy it. I just placed an order with BMW and requested the Sirius Radio as an option, but am getting a little worried with all this bankruptcy talk. Starting to wonder if I should save my money.

What do you guys think - is Sirius/XM going to make it through the year?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
I've been a subscriber to XM Radio since '05, and me and my wife both really enjoy it. I just placed an order with BMW and requested the Sirius Radio as an option, but am getting a little worried with all this bankruptcy talk. Starting to wonder if I should save my money.

Not under current ownership. More than likely they'll be bought out by Dish Network/Navstar.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

i read a news article the other day that stated service should not be interupted regardless of the ownership transition... BUT, there is a chance that special programming shows like howard stern maybe discontinued. I could be wrong?

No worries, keep enjoying it. I cant wait!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
It's an option that I'd hate to live without. I really hope that the programming continues (especially since I spent $595 on it)

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:

If they go Chapter 11 then things will be fine. Chapeter 7 is the one to fear.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
rawbert54
Private First Class
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: sedona Reda 128i

actually, echostar owns the largest part of their debt, due in about a month. If anyone is going to buy them out its them. sirius already said they probably dont have the cash to pay it. satellite radio wont go anywhere, way to many subscribers, but their debt ratio is too high. someone who can afford it will be happy to put their sattelites and subscriber fees to good use.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

It's about two issues:
1) getting rid of Howard Stearns $500 million deal
2) EchoStar getting use of Sirius/XM Sat's to better compete with DirectTV.

S/XM depends on the auto industry to get out those Sat radios to get folks hooked and cars are not selling.

S/XM is not going away but if I was buying a new car again I would only go Sat radio if it combined the two services. You would save on duplication costs. For instance I have three vehicles with XM and three with Sirius. I have to pay the base price [$12.95] for one XM then two add-on subscriptions [$6.95 and soon to be $8.95]; then, the base rate for one Sirius plus the add-on rates for two. If they would just combine the accounts I would only have to pay the base rate plus five add-ons rates.

It may seem minor but Sat service for me is a tidy some about $54 per month. What was I thinking...now I sometimes wish I had just purchased the mobile unit and switch out from car to car but then that would be such a hassle. Sort of like switching out radar detectors...no way!

Call
      02-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

@Cali truth be told, I don't quite see the point in waiting for such a thing.

Here's why: that big channel switch-up last fall that everyone was up in arms about...basically was a huge consolidation of the XM and Sirius lineups into one. There are very few channels that one has that the other lacks now. (Not counting Howard Stern or Martha Stewart or any of those premium channels - none of whom I gave a rat's behind about.)

Sirius channel list:
http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1218563499691

XM channel list:
http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/full-channel-listing.xmc
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
@Cali truth be told, I don't quite see the point in waiting for such a thing.

Here's why: that big channel switch-up last fall that everyone was up in arms about...basically was a huge consolidation of the XM and Sirius lineups into one. There are very few channels that one has that the other lacks now. (Not counting Howard Stern or Martha Stewart or any of those premium channels - none of whom I gave a rat's behind about.)

Sirius channel list:
http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1218563499691

XM channel list:
http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/full-channel-listing.xmc
You missed his point. He's saying why should he have to pay for two main accounts when it's supposed to be all one company.

And to the other guy, the $175 million is due tomorrow. And it's not the largest part of the debt.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

http://bit.ly/tFWbW

Sirius XM Radio Avoids Bankruptcy

By Cecilia Kang
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 17, 2009; 10:02 AM

Liberty Media has agreed to loan Sirius XM Radio $530 million to help save the satellite radio provider from bankruptcy.

Liberty Media, which owns DirecTV, and Sirius said in a news release that the loan will go to paying $175 million in debt that comes due for Sirius today. The remainder of funds will be used to pay other debts coming due in May and at the end of the year, and for general working capital to run the satellite radio business.....
Appreciate 0