BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport

Megan Racing Quad Exhaust

Here are some prototype pictures of Megan Racings new quad exhaust for the 135i. These pictures are all just mockup/test fit/prototype pieces. They mocked up this piece so they can use it to make a jig to mass produce the exhaust. There will be some changes to it. They basically just took what they had laying around (pipe, tips, muffler, etc) and welded it together to fit my car. This is not what the final version will look like but I thought I would post pictures to show you guys that it is in the works. They also said there is the possibilty of producing a diffuser to go along with this exhaust. They asked me to ask everyone on the style of tips you are looking for. Double wall stainless, titanium single wall burnt, or plain chrome single wall? Ill will give them some feedback on what the community wants. The muffler right now is a single in dual out style but I am trying to convince them to do a dual in dial out style. Any feedback from people would be great. PLEASE UNDERSTAND, that the welds will be perfect, it will fit really well, and everything will be even on the production model. Now on to the pictures!

Mike

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Looks promising, but every piece from that company i've come in contact with was horrible quality.

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson
Looks promising, but every piece from that company i've come in contact with was horrible quality.
And whats up witn just having a long pipe for the other side?! Looks ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson
And whats up witn just having a long pipe for the other side?! Looks ridiculous.
The cross pipe? That is precisely how all the rest that fit US non-m's do it. It has to go by the battery box
      02-26-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

I really like it though chrome or black chrome tips would be better and double sided would be more visible.

What about sound can you please post some clip is there a drone? What price can we expect?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

IMO sound is what really matters, I have little doubt they’re capable of making a muffler that fits reasonably and has solid welds, materials, etc. Let’s hear it first, then worry about what type of muffler tip would look best. I’m not in the market, that’s just how I’d personally approach it.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
gmane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Looks promising but if its gonna cost upwards of $1400 not really interested because you can go to a custom shop and have the same thing done for around $400.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

This was just a mock up so I didnt get any sound clips. Sorry. This was an off the shelf muffler they had so it might change on the production model. As soon as I can, I will post pictures and sound clips of the first production piece. They are making this exhaust (along with a single side/dual exhaust) because I have encouraged them to do so and said there would be a market for it. I told them other exhausts are expensive so they are trying to come in as low as possible. Most megan racing stuff is priced below their competitors while still maintaining the quality. I have never had any complaints on anything I have had of theirs on my car. I had their coilovers on my tracked AWD turbo talon, their downpipe on the same car, their strut bars on my WRX, and put lower control arms on a friend tracked civic without any issues. In fact, the coilovers were better than my Zeal coilovers on my Evo X...
I wanted to give them ideas on muffler tips so the production model would have the tips we want as a community and be ready for mass production sooner without having to change anything. With a company this large, making changes after they have started producing the item might be a little more difficult than changing it before hand. Ill poast updates here as soon as I have them. Thanks for looking!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Looks bad being able to see the actual muffler... they should tuck it in...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Alright I'll weigh in.

Design looks good, though it would be nice if they would set the muffler straight back to the left hand exit, that should improve flow

Tips: DEFINITELY dual wall stainless.

Whatever it is it needs to be a bolt on solution, and hopefully an axle-back with optional mid-pipes. Dual in-Dual out would be nice but that means it would have to be a downpipe back solution, no? That will drive the price way up.
      02-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

They plan on making a mid pipe and an axle back so they can sell the muffler sections seperately. It wouldnt have to be a downpipe back solution, it could be a cat back that stays spilt or splits just before it goes into the muffler. Ill talk to them about trying to hide the muffler a little bit but all of the systems I have seen, show the muffler and there isnt a whole lot of room under there. The muffler that is on there is not big but its tucked up as close to the car as possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
foofopps
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMike
They plan on making a mid pipe and an axle back so they can sell the muffler sections seperately. It wouldnt have to be a downpipe back solution, it could be a cat back that stays spilt or splits just before it goes into the muffler. Ill talk to them about trying to hide the muffler a little bit but all of the systems I have seen, show the muffler and there isnt a whole lot of room under there. The muffler that is on there is not big but its tucked up as close to the car as possible.
Flow master 10 series, have them look into that muffler. Also, if you're going to do a quad you should do the hartge style. It looks way better and is more true to a BMW quad like an e46 m3.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
The right side looks like it's touching the carbon fiber diffuser. That will completely burn the carbon weave and deform it to make it look horrible. Trust me I've seen it happen with certain exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Doesn't look bad, but as others have said, you shouldn't be able to see the can once the diffuser is on. If nothing can be done, I'd paint everything black to mask it better. This is what I did with my Inside Performance quad setup, and you can't see anything.

I wouldn't get it simply because it sticks the pipes too far out to the sides like the 1M. I like the pipes closer to the center of the car, like the E46M3 and Z4M etc. Just personal preference!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #15
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
The right side looks like it's touching the carbon fiber diffuser. That will completely burn the carbon weave and deform it to make it look horrible. Trust me I've seen it happen with certain exhausts.
Yeah we talked about the passenger side pipe having a slip fit with a clamp and the hanger be adjustable so that it can be adjusted to not hit the diffuser and account for some variance. This was just a mock up and the production one will not rub the diffuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Doesn't look bad, but as others have said, you shouldn't be able to see the can once the diffuser is on. If nothing can be done, I'd paint everything black to mask it better. This is what I did with my Inside Performance quad setup, and you can't see anything.

I wouldn't get it simply because it sticks the pipes too far out to the sides like the 1M. I like the pipes closer to the center of the car, like the E46M3 and Z4M etc. Just personal preference!
I wasnt a fan of the Hartage style. I have seen a few cars with it and I personally like the 1M style better. I think the back end of the car is too small to have the tips that close to each other like on the hartage/E46 M3. If someone wants to buy me a Hartage Style Diffuser, Im sure I could talk Megan Racing into producing an exhaust for that diffuser as well.

We talked about a black muffler as well because of how the muffler hangs and because they offer a black coating on some of their "stealth" mufflers already so it would be simple to do. I will let them know that the feedback we are getting is for a black muffler/one that is less visible. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
j_marinelli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mustang GT

what diffuser are you using there?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
AWCR1MC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Looks promising...have never had any problems with Megan racing on my evo 8 or my s2k.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_marinelli View Post
what diffuser are you using there?
Its one off of Ebay.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Still looks strange to me. Battery box in the way? How about brainstorm a little and engineer something. Not just, oh lets throw another long pipe to the other side. Its like an extra long tip. Does this improve or hinder anything? Curious.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Still looks strange to me. Battery box in the way? How about brainstorm a little and engineer something. Not just, oh lets throw another long pipe to the other side. Its like an extra long tip. Does this improve or hinder anything? Curious.
Yes its terrible for performance, just for looks. Thats all the non-m quad systems are for, they are not at all engineered for horsepower.

My opinion, double walled tips and push them back so they are flush with the diffuser, or at least close too it. I'd never buy an exhaust that had tips stick out like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

How is it terrible for performance? It already looks more free flowing then oem and the long pipe would take away what, .25 hp at the most?

This could be a good solution for anyone doing a 1m conversion that does not want to mess around with the whole battery tray conversion.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #22
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
How is it terrible for performance? It already looks more free flowing then oem and the long pipe would take away what, .25 hp at the most?

This could be a good solution for anyone doing a 1m conversion that does not want to mess around with the whole battery tray conversion.
The 90 degree angles are really harsh on flow, the piping size is not ideal for best flow characteristics. The exhaust doesn't even use the inner two pipes of the four. 90% of the air would go out the outer tips because the air would never be able to make that turn with the velocity it'd be traveling at. Its all for looks.
Appreciate 0