BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #23
foofopps
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
The 90 degree angles are really harsh on flow, the piping size is not ideal for best flow characteristics. The exhaust doesn't even use the inner two pipes of the four. 90% of the air would go out the outer tips because the air would never be able to make that turn with the velocity it'd be traveling at. Its all for looks.
No one is getting their horse power from their axel back, end of story. All exhaust systems past the axel back are for personal sound and aesthetic preference.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #24
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofopps View Post
No one is getting their horse power from their axel back, end of story. All exhaust systems past the axel back are for personal sound and aesthetic preference.
Believe that if you want, but its simply not true. I agree its not enough to notice till you really start to pump boost through the engine, but there are still gains, the stock system is not perfect by any means.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #25
foofopps
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Believe that if you want, but its simply not true. I agree its not enough to notice till you really start to pump boost through the engine, but there are still gains, the stock system is not perfect by any means.
We know its not and we know that this megan racing system isn't either. Stop being a toll.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #26
R0ME0
"The Midas Touch"
Rep
Drives: F87 LBB ///M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [10.00]
2008 Z4M - SOLD  [0.00]
Looks good but would tuck the tips back a bit. They stick out way too far! Sound clip and dyno would be nice as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
We know its not and we know that this megan racing system isn't either. Stop being a toll.
Believe what you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #28
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport

Yes the tips would be pushed back some. The piping is 2.5 inch for both of them and 3inch to the muffler, right now. Again this is just a prototype/mock up so it could change. I asked for 3inch piping and a dual in dual out muffler, so Ill see what comes out of this. While this setup may not be ideal for hp and flow, I do not believe that there will be a hp loss from a regular single sided exhaust to this one. Most of the dual outlet/quad tip exhausts for the 1 series are purely asthetic and sound. What I might be able to do is dyno the car with their regular single sided exhaust and then swap this quad setup on and see if there is any difference. Honestly, a dual exhuast on a inline 6cylinder motor will probably be just for looks unless you split the exhaust right at the cylinder head (3 cyliners on each pipe) and run it all the way back that way. I WISH we had the room to do a true dual outlet exhaust on these cars but its just not there. Even on the 1M and the E46 M3, its one inlet in the muffler and splits to the dual outlet. This exhaust just has the muffler in a different place from the 1M. I do not have a sound clip because we didnt even start the car with this exhaust on there.
Right now I have their single sided/dual tip prototype exhaust on my car and it sounds very good. Ill have to take some pictures of that and get some sound clips.

Last edited by CGMike; 03-02-2013 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #29
foofopps
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Believe what you want.
Do you have to have the last word? Does that make your argument right?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #30
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Let it drop. Opinions are like assholes, and until we see some numbers before and after we won't have anything substantiated.

Thanks CGMike!
      03-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #31
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen
Quote:
Believe what you want.
Again, you're an idiot that posts garbage. The difference in an axle back is negligible. Quit being a retard and a try-hard troll - it doesn't work well for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #32
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

For those knocking flow on the right side, have you ever seen a system like this in operation? My Inside Performance setup, which looks a lot like this in how it works, has damned near even flow on both sides. During warmup on cold mornings I cannot tell the difference, and I've had friends behind me say both sides dump out enough exhaust to make it look even. Both sides have even popped out flames after a long acceleraration pull. All four pipes look the same inside as well (soot), after a year of having the exhaust neither side has a different color. I was skeptical at first when I bought my exhaust, but after having it for a year and seeing it in action, I personally can't tell any difference in flow from left to right.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #33
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

Original post asked about tip styles.... Black chrome double walled and slash cut similar to the oem m sport tips, only a little fatter.
      03-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #34
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
The cross pipe? That is precisely how all the rest that fit US non-m's do it. It has to go by the battery box
Yeah but I just dont get why you wouldn't remove the storage compartment, and use one from a 1M. This way you can just design a muffler with 4 actual tips similar to the one thats in the 1M, or you can just maybe even retrofit a 1M exhaust under there. I saw a few people doing a 1M conversion, and this is what they did.

I mean in all seriousness that cross pipe kinda looks stupid. There is hardly any function there but all cosmetic. IMO if you really want to do quad tips removing the storage and adding an actual muffler would be the way to go.
Attached Images

03-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #35
SteveAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
For those knocking flow on the right side, have you ever seen a system like this in operation? My Inside Performance setup, which looks a lot like this in how it works, has damned near even flow on both sides. During warmup on cold mornings I cannot tell the difference, and I've had friends behind me say both sides dump out enough exhaust to make it look even. Both sides have even popped out flames after a long acceleraration pull. All four pipes look the same inside as well (soot), after a year of having the exhaust neither side has a different color. I was skeptical at first when I bought my exhaust, but after having it for a year and seeing it in action, I personally can't tell any difference in flow from left to right.
I can see where this one would be affective at at least providing equal flow. If there isn't any resistance on the output side of that muffler, it shouldn't affect the input side of the muffler and both should flow evenly.

However, there is obviously no performance gain here, and not only that....it looks retarded. Add to that the fact that you can see the exhaust pipes through that rear diffuser....not a chance...makes it look like a ricer built at Pep Boys!

FTR, I think Stohlen's points are valid...it's an observation and his opinion, just as this is mine. Just because it's not what you want to hear and want validation doesn't make him an idiot....

Flame on....
2013 F10--JB4/BM3
2015 F82--Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP & PI--PS2 Turbos-- JB4/BM3-FBO
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #36
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Why is it that a select few suddenly turn all hardcore function-only when it comes to certain mods they are not a fan of? Last I checked plenty of people on here enjoyed modding their car's appearance without any reason beyond aesthetics. As long as it's not a step back in function what's the problem?

Also, last i checked the 1M exhaust comes down 1 pipe, goes through 1 muffler and exits out into 4 tips. How much extra HP do those 2 extra tips add?

To those of you interested, black paint does a great job of hiding the muffler and pipes.

Last edited by uberschnell; 03-04-2013 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #37
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK
Why is it that a select few suddenly turn all hardcore function-only when it comes to certain mods they are not a fan of? Last I checked plenty of people on here enjoyed modding their car's appearance without any reason beyond aesthetics. As long as it's not a step back in function what's the problem?

Also, last i checked the 1M exhaust comes down 1 pipe, goes through 1 muffler and exits out 2 holes into 4 tips.

To those of you interested, black paint does a great job of hiding the muffler and pipes.
Stohlen (maybe ill start calling him Stalin) just likes to argue moot points on anything out of the norm. If its something that isn't on his car, his moms and his dogs car he will argue some meaningless point about performance. It's funny because his car has more money in aesthetics then most of us here - I'm FBO with coils, who's more interested in performance gains? Huh Stalin?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #38
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
I can see where this one would be affective at at least providing equal flow. If there isn't any resistance on the output side of that muffler, it shouldn't affect the input side of the muffler and both should flow evenly.

However, there is obviously no performance gain here, and not only that....it looks retarded. Add to that the fact that you can see the exhaust pipes through that rear diffuser....not a chance...makes it look like a ricer built at Pep Boys!

FTR, I think Stohlen's points are valid...it's an observation and his opinion, just as this is mine. Just because it's not what you want to hear and want validation doesn't make him an idiot....

Flame on....
I get it, but that's why they need to paint everything black. I painted everything black with BBQ paint on my setup, and you can't see anything through the diffuser or under it. I certainly would not recommend ever leaving it shiny.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #39
SteveAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I get it, but that's why they need to paint everything black. I painted everything black with BBQ paint on my setup, and you can't see anything through the diffuser or under it. I certainly would not recommend ever leaving it shiny.

In my opinion...your exhaust looks a heck of a lot better than this(esthetically)...

No comparison, you can't see the muffler...even if it is painted black and again in my opinion it's a better look.
2013 F10--JB4/BM3
2015 F82--Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP & PI--PS2 Turbos-- JB4/BM3-FBO
Appreciate 0