BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #23
TONYH215
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
Throw a PROcede or JB3 in the 1er and the S4 has little to boast about. I personally am not a fan of awd, when properly driven the rwd will send chills up your spine that will result in a perma grin. Furthermore, I find the new S4 exterior platform to be downright boring.

Don't get me wrong, the S4 is a great performer, I just think the 135 is really quite a spectacle for its modest price tag. The driving experience along with its simple yet elegant interior makes the car world class.
I think the B8 S4, even the A4 looks much more aggressive than the 135i, the sharp angles in the front, large grille, LEDs in the headlights really make it a head turner. I came from a B8 A4 to the 135i and got much more looks in the A4 than I ever will in my 135i. And throwing a JB3 in a 135i, of course it will get you better performance, have you seen the MTM software for the S4? It will put the 135i back down a notch. And I won't even get into the stock suspension comparison between the two cars. I love my 135i, but there is much to improve upon with the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #24
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Why are we comparing a style of a small coupe to a 4 door saloon? Apples and oranges.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #25
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Funny, I see a lot of comparos of the S4 on the Audi boards, and loads of trollers on the RS4 board with claims how the B8 S4 is better than the B7 RS4. To me there is no comparo, but to stick to the point here, I would still prefer my 135i over the B8 S4. Don't like the looks, doesn't do much for me, no different than any A4 2.0T with the S-Line trim. Sound is anemic at best, and so far no aftermarket company (even Milltek) has found a decent solution. I am sure tuners will start coming out with products, but it will have nothing close to the selection what we get for the N54 engine, considering there are a lot more BMW tuners (relatively speaking), and also that engine is across pretty much every BMW model (vs. the S4 engine which right now is only in a A6 in a much detuned variant).

The main thing I like better on the S4 than in the 135i is the interior, but that's just Audi in general. No one in the industry makes better interiors, hands down.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Funny, I see a lot of comparos of the S4 on the Audi boards, and loads of trollers on the RS4 board with claims how the B8 S4 is better than the B7 RS4. To me there is no comparo, but to stick to the point here, I would still prefer my 135i over the B8 S4. Don't like the looks, doesn't do much for me, no different than any A4 2.0T with the S-Line trim. Sound is anemic at best, and so far no aftermarket company (even Milltek) has found a decent solution. I am sure tuners will start coming out with products, but it will have nothing close to the selection what we get for the N54 engine, considering there are a lot more BMW tuners (relatively speaking), and also that engine is across pretty much every BMW model (vs. the S4 engine which right now is only in a A6 in a much detuned variant).

The main thing I like better on the S4 than in the 135i is the interior, but that's just Audi in general. No one in the industry makes better interiors, hands down.
To each his own, but I head a new S4 and it sounds quite nice to me.
It sounded better than my N54.
Our engines sound ok right at start up with that little growl.
But, once under way there isn't much in terms of "better" aural tones.
I am currently driving a 328xi loaner, and I'm really impressed with how smooth and mechanical the engine sounds inside the car when the tach swings past 4500rpm. I can't wait to get my 135i back, so I can compare the sound. But, I don't recall that my 135i sounded as "race car" mechanical as this 328xi. The NA inline6 is one sweet sounding engine at higher rpm. Yeah, idle sounds numb and nearly nonexistent.

Anyway, the S4 is one sweet automobile. Overall, it's a viable automobile for someone who loves German ways of making sport sedans and coupes. I just don't see how anyone could think they are not sweet.

As far as tuning I think the VAG solutions are much more elegant. They are a bit more pricey, APR for example. Once loaded the software is there and programs can be accessed and changed using turn signal and cruise control stalks and buttons. You don't have to open anything or add pins or anything. Yes, there is one major problem in that if you go to the dealer and they have to do a software upgrade, you're tune flash is gone and you'll have to get it reinstalled, which is free except a few bucks for the tuners time. Still, plenty of solutions and elegant ones too.l
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #27
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:

Really? You don't think this sounds good?

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSOSXDQPULs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSOSXDQPULs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #28
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
Really? You don't think this sounds good?
Actually I don't! But I think this product they offer does:

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/vide..._nonres_dp.cfm
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #29
cs135i
Comes to RWD from FWD, with a dream of AWD
Rep
Drives: AW 09 135i

SHIT never thought that there would be a thread that links one of my beloved cars to another.

Although being in different classes, these two cars are definitely the only two cars that I have seriously considered to be an upgrade of my previous gti...

And if I had that much money, I would go with S4 due to the awful weather at my location.

Anyway, I think moving to V6 supercharger from previous V8 is one of the wisest steps Audi/VAG has ever taken. The engine has so much potential in it and the sport diff simply adds to its already perfect setup, although I do agree that its steering is less attractive...

Other than that, one thing I love about this community is that few people are biased and I am learning this "un-biased" spirit from you guys, lol

cheers

03-25-2010 7pm

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #30
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I think I'm going to test drive an S4 and see what it's all about...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #31
clausy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs135i View Post
Other than that, one thing I love about this community is that few people are biased and I am learning this "un-biased" spirit from you guys, lol

cheers
I don't see them as that dissimilar. I would have considered both, except I guess I grew up in the 80's when Mercedes was luxury, Audi was cheap, and BMW was performance. I'm still trying to get over it, ever since the original Quattro came out and made everyone go 'wait a sec, what the eff'.

I still think the Audi feels like an expensive GTi. I think the BM has a much nicer interior, seriously. I just got the PPK and I think it will at least match the Audi now in terms of kick. I'm sure the torque vectoring is cool (the 911 turbo has it to, right, LSD anyone?)

I think thats a good point to be open minded. Like I said the S4 a really really good car, its just not as much fun because its so good, if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #32
cs135i
Comes to RWD from FWD, with a dream of AWD
Rep
Drives: AW 09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausy View Post
I don't see them as that dissimilar. I would have considered both, except I guess I grew up in the 80's when Mercedes was luxury, Audi was cheap, and BMW was performance. I'm still trying to get over it, ever since the original Quattro came out and made everyone go 'wait a sec, what the eff'.

I still think the Audi feels like an expensive GTi. I think the BM has a much nicer interior, seriously. I just got the PPK and I think it will at least match the Audi now in terms of kick. I'm sure the torque vectoring is cool (the 911 turbo has it to, right, LSD anyone?)

I think thats a good point to be open minded. Like I said the S4 a really really good car, its just not as much fun because its so good, if that makes sense.
I understand that. Maybe I'm a geek, but I always want the best thing in the range that I can afford, heh, and S4's as fast as 135 stock, so I've been really wanting it but at the end of story I got 135 since it's the one that I love and am able to afford.

I have been trying to console myself of not being able to get the S4 economically recently, saying to myself:"it's no big deal, it's merely 30ish HP more than 135 and it's not as much fun as my 135!" And the second day, it starts to snow, in MARCH!!! And then at the end of that week, I accidently found a tuner's page, tuning the S4 to 400ish HP... I was like lol

03-25-2010 7pm

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #33
peppebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Man I miss this forum. I traded my '08 Montego Blue 135i in 5 weeks ago for a Imola Yellow '10 S4. With a baby on the way and living in NE I figured it was the best comprise between sportiness and practicality. I loved my 135i but after having the S4 there is no doubt in my mind this is the car for me. First I have to say that never did I imagine I'd be able to make the deal I made in getting into the S4. Good timing I suppose. Of course Audi's lease rates suck and the S4 being so exclusive did not help. In the end though I think I got a pretty good deal.

The thing I truly miss in the 135i is the nimbleness and tighter overall steering feel. Still getting used to the light steering at lower speeds in the S4. The handling in the S4 once in motion is definitely better than the 135i. The S4 feels more connected. I remember the One Series feeling as though it would get thrown around at times whereas the S4 is more planted. I have the sport differential option and let me tell you that thing is amazing. Really makes the car handle like it is on rails. The N54 is a great engine but the supercharger in the S4 really feels more potent. The power delivery is smoother and more on tap than the N54. Can't wait until some power upgrade options become available (APR, GIAC, REVO, etc) I am glad I gave BMW a try and had two wonderful years with my One Series. They are both great cars and any German car enthusiast will find driving them to be quite pleasant. Maybe some day I will be able to have a coupe and a sedan. Who knows. For now I will enjoy my S4!

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
2022 RE Continental GT 650
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #34
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppebmw View Post
Man I miss this forum. I traded my '08 Montego Blue 135i in 5 weeks ago for a Imola Yellow '10 S4. With a baby on the way and living in NE I figured it was the best comprise between sportiness and practicality. I loved my 135i but after having the S4 there is no doubt in my mind this is the car for me. First I have to say that never did I imagine I'd be able to make the deal I made in getting into the S4. Good timing I suppose. Of course Audi's lease rates suck and the S4 being so exclusive did not help. In the end though I think I got a pretty good deal.

The thing I truly miss in the 135i is the nimbleness and tighter overall steering feel. Still getting used to the light steering at lower speeds in the S4. The handling in the S4 once in motion is definitely better than the 135i. The S4 feels more connected. I remember the One Series feeling as though it would get thrown around at times whereas the S4 is more planted. I have the sport differential option and let me tell you that thing is amazing. Really makes the car handle like it is on rails. The N54 is a great engine but the supercharger in the S4 really feels more potent. The power delivery is smoother and more on tap than the N54. Can't wait until some power upgrade options become available (APR, GIAC, REVO, etc) I am glad I gave BMW a try and had two wonderful years with my One Series. They are both great cars and any German car enthusiast will find driving them to be quite pleasant. Maybe some day I will be able to have a coupe and a sedan. Who knows. For now I will enjoy my S4!
That odd "servotronic" steering was the only real complaint I had in my A4. I know the intent was for lighter effort at parking speeds, but I prefer a heavier all the time steering feel. But, as you said, once underway, the steering firms up nicely and on-center feel is excellent.
In my 1 it does tend to wander a bit. I think this what some people, incorrectly imo, describe as "floaty" or "lose" at speed.
I think it the vague on-center feel. The wheel moves a bit too much before something happens.
I just had a 328xi loaner and it didn't have this feel that my 1 has.
The 3 feels better planted and doesn't deflect as easily as the 1 on road imperfections. But, that's what undersprung and over-damped suspension will get you.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #35
pDz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That odd "servotronic" steering was the only real complaint I had in my A4. I know the intent was for lighter effort at parking speeds, but I prefer a heavier all the time steering feel. But, as you said, once underway, the steering firms up nicely and on-center feel is excellent.
In my 1 it does tend to wander a bit. I think this what some people, incorrectly imo, describe as "floaty" or "lose" at speed.
I think it the vague on-center feel. The wheel moves a bit too much before something happens.
The 3 feels better planted and doesn't deflect as easily as the 1 on road imperfections. But, that's what undersprung and over-damped suspension will get you.
i actually don't mind the suspension on the stock 1er --at least you can rotate the car with the throttle --which is something one would be extremely hard pressed to do in the s4, even with 60% torque going to the rear. there's understeer (the 1er) and then there's pushin' like Sisyphus (awd).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #36
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz View Post
i actually don't mind the suspension on the stock 1er --at least you can rotate the car with the throttle --which is something one would be extremely hard pressed to do in the s4, even with 60% torque going to the rear. there's understeer (the 1er) and then there's pushin' like Sisyphus (awd).
Based on this post, I really doubt you have driven the B8 S4. Especially one with a sport diff.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 04:53 AM   #37
pDz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Based on this post, I really doubt you have driven the B8 S4. Especially one with a sport diff.
no!

i have not.

my comments are based on driving AWD cars for most of my life.

can you invoke throttle-on oversteer in the supercharged s4 then?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #38
kioko12
king kong in the trunk...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I'm with you on not liking the ultra-light steering feel. For me, it was the S5 (see my test drive video below). I seriously felt I could steer it with my pinky. Even at higher speeds, it was too light for me. Coming from a Z4 and a 135i, there's a huge difference. Also, I was really disappointed with the power. For a 350+ HP V8, I'd expect more kick. For comparison, I drove an '11 335i XDrive with 4 people in the car and it felt significantly more powerful and smoother. That's the car my buddy ended up buying. I'm sure he'll be on the forums soon...
      05-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #39
pDz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
can anyone yet speak to the neutrality or ability to kick the rear out on the "new" S4 with/without the sport differential?

i know this damn near impossible (throttle-on oversteer) in any STi but it is manageable in a 997TT or an Evo.

i'm wondering if the S4, with 60% of 4000lbs hanging on the rear axle, can do this?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #40
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioko12 View Post
I'm with you on not liking the ultra-light steering feel. For me, it was the S5 (see my test drive video below). I seriously felt I could steer it with my pinky. Even at higher speeds, it was too light for me. Coming from a Z4 and a 135i, there's a huge difference. Also, I was really disappointed with the power. For a 350+ HP V8, I'd expect more kick. For comparison, I drove an '11 335i XDrive with 4 people in the car and it felt significantly more powerful and smoother. That's the car my buddy ended up buying. I'm sure he'll be on the forums soon...
Agreed on the light steering, prolly one of the very few things I don't like on my RS4. At high speeds it firms up, but no way close to the 135i (nor E39 M5 I had before). I am moving to 275 tires all around (vs 255 stock), hoping that gets me among other things a less light steering sensation.

The Sport Diff on the S4 makes a big difference IMO. A must have if you get this car, in fact scratch any other option if you are cost-conscious but leave this one.

The Imolas are selling at a huge discount. My local dealer has held on one for 7 months, seems yellow is a bit too 'out there' for most tastes. I personally like it. Heck, I was one step away from getting my RS4 in Papaya Orange, so maybe I am an outlier
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #41
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz View Post
can anyone yet speak to the neutrality or ability to kick the rear out on the "new" S4 with/without the sport differential?

i know this damn near impossible (throttle-on oversteer) in any STi but it is manageable in a 997TT or an Evo.

i'm wondering if the S4, with 60% of 4000lbs hanging on the rear axle, can do this?
The S4 is extremely neutral, and you can make it oversteer with the throttle if you want, especially with electronic nannies off and the diff set to dynamic. The limits on getting the back end to step out are obviously higher than a RWD car because there is more absolute traction available.

The sport diff is capable of sending 100% of the axle's power to the outside wheel in a turn. It really does wonders for handling.

This is a short example:

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QTgxKOvQzQo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QTgxKOvQzQo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #42
pDz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The S4 is extremely neutral, and you can make it oversteer with the throttle if you want, especially with electronic nannies off and the diff set to dynamic. The limits on getting the back end to step out are obviously higher than a RWD car because there is more absolute traction available.

The sport diff is capable of sending 100% of the axle's power to the outside wheel in a turn. It really does wonders for handling.

This is a short example:

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QTgxKOvQzQo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QTgxKOvQzQo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
amazing!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #43
peppebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Agreed on the light steering, prolly one of the very few things I don't like on my RS4. At high speeds it firms up, but no way close to the 135i (nor E39 M5 I had before). I am moving to 275 tires all around (vs 255 stock), hoping that gets me among other things a less light steering sensation.

The Sport Diff on the S4 makes a big difference IMO. A must have if you get this car, in fact scratch any other option if you are cost-conscious but leave this one.

The Imolas are selling at a huge discount. My local dealer has held on one for 7 months, seems yellow is a bit too 'out there' for most tastes. I personally like it. Heck, I was one step away from getting my RS4 in Papaya Orange, so maybe I am an outlier
Agreed, got my Imola at invoice. Might end up buying this car at lease end since car should be worth more than buyout. Imola has grown on me. One of those colors I said I'd always love to have but never thought I'd pull trigger on. Love the flashy colors! From Montego to Imola. Gonna keep it stock for a while until more tuning options become available. Sport diff is a must and in fact is more important IMO than having the 135i with M package. Papaya, now that is a cool color. Some Canadian at Audiworld has a 2010 Papaya S4.

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
2022 RE Continental GT 650
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #44
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppebmw View Post
Agreed, got my Imola at invoice. Might end up buying this car at lease end since car should be worth more than buyout. Imola has grown on me. One of those colors I said I'd always love to have but never thought I'd pull trigger on. Love the flashy colors! From Montego to Imola. Gonna keep it stock for a while until more tuning options become available. Sport diff is a must and in fact is more important IMO than having the 135i with M package. Papaya, now that is a cool color. Some Canadian at Audiworld has a 2010 Papaya S4.
Cool, would love to see the Papaya on the B8 body. Here are a few pics of a Papaya Orange (color from the TT-bin) and Glut Orange (color from the Lambo Murcielago/Gallardo bin) RS4. Last pic is a Glut convertible, next to a Papaya sedan, next to an Imola Yellow Sedan.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0