BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128I Convertible 02/09

HID VS LED Conversion Kits

Anyone installed an led conversion kit in their headlights lately? These guys claim to be the best, anyone tried them?

http://www.gtrlighting.com/led-headlights/

http://www.plasmaglow.com/led-ignite...onversion-kit/

Videos for both products

Last edited by bazil769; 01-21-2015 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

up
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #3
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Looks like i found GTR lighting's kit here on amazon for 68.89 lol

http://www.amazon.com/Eyourlife-Univ...led+conversion

Cheap stuff from china
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

I'm sorry, but who the uff does an 8 minute headlight product review without actually showing the headlight working??
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I personally would probably steer away from doing something like this for a number of reasons. Headlight bulbs are actually highly regulated and need to meet legal requirements which are very strict. Installing a HID bulb in a halogen housing is illegal because there is too much light and no cutoff beam to stop the light from blinding oncoming drivers

These LED bulbs are no exception and while they may appear to be a nice color, i doubt they are practical or safe. The built in housing have a reflector that focuses on a specific spot on the halogen bulb, and thus creates a certain pattern of light that shines forward onto the road. If you change the bulb and the light is emitting from a different location then the light now bounces off the reflector and shines forward in a very different pattern. This could cause a number of problems. first off you may not have adequate light shining forward and will limit your vision. Secondly more light may shine upwards and into oncoming drivers eyes.

The picture they show has all the light shining downwards and the ground is lit up 5 feet in front of the car. you need a car bulb to shine forward now down...

This is just my $.02 on this and would ask if there is DOT approval for these.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

True. Looking for Hid conversion kits, but it looks like im gonna need another kit for the high beam since the Depo v2 use 2 bulbs one for high and one for low beam.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #7
hau_nguyen91
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB 17 M3

I would not even bother to look at any other LED beside LUX

V4 going strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
I personally would probably steer away from doing something like this for a number of reasons. Headlight bulbs are actually highly regulated and need to meet legal requirements which are very strict. Installing a HID bulb in a halogen housing is illegal because there is too much light and no cutoff beam to stop the light from blinding oncoming drivers

These LED bulbs are no exception and while they may appear to be a nice color, i doubt they are practical or safe. The built in housing have a reflector that focuses on a specific spot on the halogen bulb, and thus creates a certain pattern of light that shines forward onto the road. If you change the bulb and the light is emitting from a different location then the light now bounces off the reflector and shines forward in a very different pattern. This could cause a number of problems. first off you may not have adequate light shining forward and will limit your vision. Secondly more light may shine upwards and into oncoming drivers eyes.

The picture they show has all the light shining downwards and the ground is lit up 5 feet in front of the car. you need a car bulb to shine forward now down...

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The kit from lux won't light up my ring. The ring is already powered by its own light source. I am really looking for lighting for my low/high beam to match the depo ring, which is like 6500k.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
ILoveTTs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 tuned 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post

Why do my Lux LEDs light up the inner ring very bright but the outer rings significantly dimmer?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #10
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveTTs View Post
Why do my Lux LEDs light up the inner ring very bright but the outer rings significantly dimmer?
Its because of the design of the headlight. The outer rings use a small fiber optic tube to carry the light from the inner ring. As well the design of the actual outer ring doesnt allow much light to shine forward. its really just a bad design from BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 01:41 AM   #11
kustom1951
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i 6MT, 1951 Chevy

Garage List
2009 Bmw 135i  [0.00]
If I have AHL with factory xenon d1s bulbs, would it be a upgrade to switch to a led d1s style bulb. I want brighter lights. Anyfeed back is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 07:33 PM   #12
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom1951 View Post
If I have AHL with factory xenon d1s bulbs, would it be a upgrade to switch to a led d1s style bulb. I want brighter lights. Anyfeed back is appreciated.
I recommend new D1s bulbs like the osram night breaker or similar.