woojae2001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 1M, E93 M3, E46 323i

Garage List
1M at Thunderhill

Hey Everone!

Tracked my car at Thunderhill this past week - it was AMAZING! I never took MDM off - as it was my first time at Thunderhill (and official track day-ing with a group of people from a club (NCRC) and even after six whole sessions I still had LOTS to learn about where the car's limits and my limits with it were.

Not that it was a competition, but we had a good "friendly race" vibe going with point-by and my 1M brought me to the lead and I lapped a bunch of people my last session! (When I finally got the track memorized and could lead into the next turn knowing what was coming up)

Of course, not everyone was driving at 100%, but to give an idea of the cars I was overtaking, there was a 997 911 turbo, 997 911 GT3, a few s2000's, lots of beefed up miatas, corvette z06's, a couple z4m's, e46 m3's (competition), a few beefy mustangs (one with almost-full-slicks that I managed to out-drive the last session)

There was an RX-8 that I was lapping but wouldn't point me by then tried to pull away from the big hill off-camber turn at turn 5 bypass and spun out right in front of me, lifted and almost hit me!!!!! thank goodness for being ready... phew! you can see that situation in the album I linked below.

(The instructor deserves a smack in the face for not instructing his student to allow me to pass - you can see him staring at me while the driver was spinning out)

http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web110923/411/index.html

Oh...and picture 14 - yeah that's my friend - I made him puke (not in my car) FTW!!! hahahahaha shows how much grip the 1M has... as JC would put it - POWAHHHHH!

I've never uploaded pics to a post before and I'm actually at work at the moment so I can't take the time to screen capture each pic and crop them and upload, but if someone for some reason wants to post up those pics at the link onto this thread (yes there are watermarks on the pics) that would be awesome.

Hope to see a fellow 1M at some point! (although I can't track it too much - I love the car more than I love.....anything else?) lol

Last edited by woojae2001; 09-27-2011 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Nice! How did the brakes hold up?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Boy that was a close one with that spin actually..
As far as the instructor.... let's just say that some students listen better than others...
I am pretty sure the last thing the instructor wanted was his door facing the front end of your car..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
woojae2001
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Nice! How did the brakes hold up?
Just like what most are saying in the reviews, the brakes are PHENOMENAL and in fact the ONLY issue I had was the melting of my tires due to the 105 degree track temperature.

By the way, I don't think reviews give enough props to the MDM system - it truly is a work of genius - before I told people I had MDM on, they all thought I was a pro driver, and even after I told them they still couldn't believe I was so fast. I could literally feel my car fine-adjusting any and all mistakes I made but in such a way that I never wished it cut the power - I was just glad I never flew off the track.

Next time, if I can afford the tires to go again, I'll turn MDM off and see just how much it was saving my ass.

I could write a whole essay about what I learned about the 1M through my track day so please feel free to ask any questions - I'm sure I can answer most.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
woojae2001
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Boy that was a close one with that spin actually..
As far as the instructor.... let's just say that some students listen better than others...
I am pretty sure the last thing the instructor wanted was his door facing the front end of your car..
yeah he was pissed off as you can see in his eyes in the pic(s) - i can't tell if it's me or the driver he's pissed at 'cause he's looking at me lol
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Ayrton91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW X5 3.5d

Cool! So is the car all stock? how bad did the tires look like after? How much of the brake pads did you eat up?

Just wondering how much a track day is going to cost....

Also, did you try with and w/o the M button, if so could you feel the difference doing heel and toe?
Appreciate 0