BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Corner balancing RHD cars

Has anyone corner balanced their 135i and can provide input?
I haven't even found too many in the USA that have done it and published their corner weights but, for the few that I have read about, they seem to be able to achieve better than 52/48 front/rear and spot-on 50/50 diagonal and side/side. Since the US cars are LHD, with the driver and steering rack being on the left and the engine centrally mounted but weighted to the right (tilted? and turbo assembly, etc) as well as the fuel tank being mounted to the right, they seem to be able to achieve the 50/50 measurements. With our cars being RHD, everything is weighted to the right-hand side (driver, rack, engine, tank), it's a struggle to achieve 50/50 left/right and importantly the diagonals.
Any help or details on what you have done for corner balancing would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

This is something I do for our race cars that are driven 80%+ with a full slick or semi slick tyre.
A total waste of time for a road car, but if you must we charge $500-$750 for a setup, providing you have a coilover system that is worth while working with.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
Has anyone corner balanced their 135i and can provide input?
I haven't even found too many in the USA that have done it and published their corner weights but, for the few that I have read about, they seem to be able to achieve better than 52/48 front/rear and spot-on 50/50 diagonal and side/side. Since the US cars are LHD, with the driver and steering rack being on the left and the engine centrally mounted but weighted to the right (tilted? and turbo assembly, etc) as well as the fuel tank being mounted to the right, they seem to be able to achieve the 50/50 measurements. With our cars being RHD, everything is weighted to the right-hand side (driver, rack, engine, tank), it's a struggle to achieve 50/50 left/right and importantly the diagonals.
Any help or details on what you have done for corner balancing would be much appreciated.
Got my old 135 corner balanced a while ago as i couldn't get my car to feel right even after multiple alignments etc..

Got it done at reputable suspension/alignment place http://www.eastcoastsuspensions.com.au/index.php
Costs about 300-400 iirc and handled much better after.

NB this was with Sachs coilovers. I have had quite a few sets of bilstein pss10 now on various cars and i haven't had to corner balance them as they are mainly road cars and they felt quite settled out of the box.

I wouldn't bother going for it unless you have adjustable suspension and after driving on your set up feel that its not right and may more tweaking.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter@Advan View Post
This is something I do for our race cars that are driven 80%+ with a full slick or semi slick tyre.
A total waste of time for a road car, but if you must we charge $500-$750 for a setup, providing you have a coilover system that is worth while working with.
Thanks Peter.

While the car is occassionally driven on the street, it has been setup with a definite track focus. Coilovers (and the rest of the suspension, brakes, etc) are track-spec.
I'm just in the process of determining whether I'm going to run a single set of wheels with DOT R-comps or if I'll run two sets of wheels with one having full slicks.

If I was in Sydney then I'd definitely be at Advan

Have you got any corner weights that you could share, as a comparison?
Can you provide any insight (PM if you like) into how you would corner balance with the right-side bias? At the moment, my solution is to add extra ballast to correctly weight it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijet View Post
Got my old 135 corner balanced a while ago as i couldn't get my car to feel right even after multiple alignments etc..

Got it done at reputable suspension/alignment place http://www.eastcoastsuspensions.com.au/index.php
Costs about 300-400 iirc and handled much better after.

NB this was with Sachs coilovers. I have had quite a few sets of bilstein pss10 now on various cars and i haven't had to corner balance them as they are mainly road cars and they felt quite settled out of the box.

I wouldn't bother going for it unless you have adjustable suspension and after driving on your set up feel that its not right and may more tweaking.
Thanks for the information.

Do you still have your old corner weights that you could post?
Do you recall how it was corner balanced to overcome the right-side weight bias?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
Giveway74
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i and MK7 Golf GTI PP

I had my corner weighting done on my 130i with PSS10's at Heasmans.
They got the fronts within 1KG of each other for better braking and the rears where within 10KG of each other which was as good as they could get with a 110KG driver.

I cannot remember front to back or diagonal weights but might be able to dig it out.

They were also limited by trying to keep the 100mm right hight at the front for competition rule requirements.
M3 front and rear arms, M3 Front and rear ARB , Quaife LSD, BMW performance wheel (non electronic), 135i Brakes, DS2500 pads, Apex wheel studs, Adjustable Bilsteins, API Half cage, Hankook Z221's (track) and Bridgestone RE002's (street) 225's all around
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveway74 View Post
I had my corner weighting done on my 130i with PSS10's at Heasmans.
They got the fronts within 1KG of each other for better braking and the rears where within 10KG of each other which was as good as they could get with a 110KG driver.

I cannot remember front to back or diagonal weights but might be able to dig it out.

They were also limited by trying to keep the 100mm right hight at the front for competition rule requirements.
I've dealt with them quite a few years ago - very professional and know their stuff.

Sounds promising - it would be great if you were able to find those specs!
Was the 130i track only and stripped? Did you have ballast/weights added?
I'm not too concerned with the ride height - it can be whatever is required for the weighting to be balanced.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Giveway74
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i and MK7 Golf GTI PP

No it was not stripped. Still had the full leather interior and no ballast. All done with the ride height at each corner.

But it only drives to the track these days.
M3 front and rear arms, M3 Front and rear ARB , Quaife LSD, BMW performance wheel (non electronic), 135i Brakes, DS2500 pads, Apex wheel studs, Adjustable Bilsteins, API Half cage, Hankook Z221's (track) and Bridgestone RE002's (street) 225's all around
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #9
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
I've dealt with them quite a few years ago - very professional and know their stuff.
Great rep in the nissan (JDM) world too.
Appreciate 0