BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Great Article

http://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/101...ndling-machine

I recommend 128i owners specifically to read it.

Thanks.
      08-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Great find and thanks for the share!
      08-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Nice article. Glad to see it points out the rear subframe bushings as being a big weakness in the stock setup. Too many people dismiss them due to the install cost.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

I really enjoyed that article. Makes you think about the old days when cars didn't have that much power but were still a lot of fun to work in the corners.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Evice
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkNuts View Post
I really enjoyed that article. Makes you think about the old days when cars didn't have that much power but were still a lot of fun to work in the corners.
Yes! I am sure alot of people miss e36 M3, which is very similar to 128i in alot of perspective. I am glad I have both!
      08-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

good article.. thx for sharing

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

good basic info.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
jaf89f
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

So is he basically suggesting the TC Kline coilover kit or is he suggesting simply Koni Yellows and springs at the suggested loads in the article, disregarding the subframe bushings at this point. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but this article makes me really want to pursue this upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

i'm sure you could try to replicate his setup with basic info from the article, but it wouldn't be the same because tck valves his konis specifically for the spring and chassis. that's really what makes the difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

im sure if you emailed the guy or something he would give you the kit xD
      08-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
D[128i]T
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

Awesome article. I love the fact that it looks stock, but theres nothing stock about it. I really want his suspension setup!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

I Love My 128
      08-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

A good article and all but if you're going to compare to the 1M then they should have included some real world comparison numbers. I realize its down alot in the hp/tq numbers but to see how they go head to head with each other some skid pad and slalom data should have be provided.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
IS+1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (AW 6MT)

One of the best suspension-related articles I've read... it breaks down the role and impact of each component very nicely. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
axoid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 128i

I wonder a little if the conversation I had with TC at last years O-fest had anything to do with him building this car. I don’t have TCs experience or bank roll, but I agree entirely with his school of thought on suspension setup. But I’m going a slightly different route with my car.

Last summer when my car was being put back together from the accident, I had the rear sub-frame bushings redone and it made a major different in the car, especially when I slide the car. When the sub-frame was pulled out, you could see where it had been moving around and rubbing on other metal parts. We looked into using the M3 bushings, but we found that they are installed in reverse from the stock bushings and there wouldn’t be any hard stop preventing the sub-frame from working down off of the bushings. What we did was take new stock bushings and filling the hollow areas with polyurethane. This took a lot of give out of the bushings.

I’m planning on going with Koni sport shocks and camber plates, but staying with the stock springs. In the article they quoted TC saying that with a street car they would stay with a rear spring rate that was about the same as stock. That would leave you with just having to up the front spring rate. For that I’m going to use a stiffer front sway bar to increase the effective spring rate when cornering and leaving it lower in strait driving.

One thing that the writer didn’t really call out was the fact that the car was switched to a square tire setup instead of the factory staggered combo. That would definitely given the car more turn-in. Something I find weird though is TC talks about saving weight and puts heavy 19” wheels on the car. Wide 17” or 18” wheels would be a lighter combination.

The writer didn’t he bring up that the car was lowered from the stock ride height ether.

Bill [92 Camaro RS (Autocross ESP / Trackrat) | 09 BMW 128i Sport Package]
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #16
Evice
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by axoid View Post
I wonder a little if the conversation I had with TC at last years O-fest had anything to do with him building this car. I don’t have TCs experience or bank roll, but I agree entirely with his school of thought on suspension setup. But I’m going a slightly different route with my car.

Last summer when my car was being put back together from the accident, I had the rear sub-frame bushings redone and it made a major different in the car, especially when I slide the car. When the sub-frame was pulled out, you could see where it had been moving around and rubbing on other metal parts. We looked into using the M3 bushings, but we found that they are installed in reverse from the stock bushings and there wouldn’t be any hard stop preventing the sub-frame from working down off of the bushings. What we did was take new stock bushings and filling the hollow areas with polyurethane. This took a lot of give out of the bushings.

I’m planning on going with Koni sport shocks and camber plates, but staying with the stock springs. In the article they quoted TC saying that with a street car they would stay with a rear spring rate that was about the same as stock. That would leave you with just having to up the front spring rate. For that I’m going to use a stiffer front sway bar to increase the effective spring rate when cornering and leaving it lower in strait driving.

One thing that the writer didn’t really call out was the fact that the car was switched to a square tire setup instead of the factory staggered combo. That would definitely given the car more turn-in. Something I find weird though is TC talks about saving weight and puts heavy 19” wheels on the car. Wide 17” or 18” wheels would be a lighter combination.

The writer didn’t he bring up that the car was lowered from the stock ride height ether.
I think TC had this car prior to June 2009, which is when I got my car and he already had it along with the 135 racecar that he was preparing for WC. Also, in the article it says "Finally, for what he says are “purely aesthetic” reasons.." as a reason to put on 19 inch wheels.

Until recently, my 128 was pretty much same as TCs 128 with 1 difference. I got a lil heavier springs. 400#F 600#R. Then got my e36 M3 as track car, and returned 128 to bone stock. There is really no point of having an adjustable suspension on a DD that I make 126miles a day

I had Breyton GTS-Rs. TCK camber plates, TCK double adjustable. 235-40-R18 Yoko AD08 square setup rubber.

The reason that makes me love my both cars are they are not HP crazy machines, still quick and nimble enough. At track it pushes you to perfect your line to make it a fast car. Only issue I have is; I just wish both cars were 100-150lbs less as stock but oh well!

Last edited by Evice; 08-03-2011 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0