BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
1ofthe1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Paint Sealant and Insurance Plan

Has anyone had this done (by the dealership)? Not clear bra.... this is where they strip the wax off the car, re-wax it and then apply a "teflon containing sealant". They give you a 5 year guarantee against things like fading, bird poop, etc. but not scratches or stone chips. They claim you do not need to wax over the sealant but you can use a car wash soap that contains a wax.

Its expensive in my opinon (around $500 I think) but my dealer offered to pay for it.

Thoughts? Pros and cons??

Thanks in advance....
      08-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

sounds like a worthy follow up before you do anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SMG 135i

Heh, dealers from all brands offer this kind of thing, with different products at different dealerships. If your dealer said he would pay for it, then by all means take the freebie warranty that comes with it. If it was out of your pocket, no, don't even think about it. These dealerships don't have some magic sealant that lasts 5 years, you don't think something like that would make it to market for DIY'ers? I'm sure what they put on is durable, but I'm also sure it is gone in 6 months to a year max. If you take the freebie you can leave it on, but if you want to use other products it will be hard to get them to stick unless you remove it first. My last car came with the teflon paint protection (freebie) and I had to use AIO before I could get any of my own products to work on the paint.
      08-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I would not do it even if it was free but I am a detail nut. I personally use Zaino which took me a whole day to detail my paint the first time and a few hours twice a year to keep it looking good. I enjoy doing a good detail on my cars.
If you are not into the detail thing and don’t even like waxing your car that would be the way to go especially if it were free. But if the dealer is offering it to you for free there is a motive behind it. The dealer just does not give away stuff for nothing even though it cost them most likely $10 for the product plus labor to install it. Check around, these undercoating, fabric/leather protector, paint protector are a rip off. One other thing is the risk of making swirl marks on your paint. If there buffer is not clean or they don’t know how to use it you could end up with swirl marks. I have seen it happen where I buy my BMW’s. I told them to wash the car, take the shipping material off and give it to me, no wax.
      08-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SMG 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
I would not do it even if it was free but I am a detail nut.
hahaha, that's why I had to get the stuff off of my last car. Unfortunately they had done it before I knew about it and since the paint wasn't damaged from their application I accepted the vehicle with it.
      08-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Teflon will not bond to your car unless it is heated to over 500 degrees. If it really worked they would have done it at the factory. JMHO
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

are you totally new to buying cars and dealing with the people who sell them to you?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
Tradical
Rep
Drives:

I say dealership paint sealants are a total scam. If they even touch your car with any sealant I would be surprised. Odds are if its "dealer sealed" your paint will be scratched and swirled. I was offered a dealer sealant for 1300 dollars. What a joke!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
yourfriend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i

i did it, the car looked like glass, and it looks like it has been recently waxed after just a simple wash.

i don't know if your dealer wants to do the same thing as mine did, but i trusted mine and it is actually very nice.

it's called resistall, by the way, and it IS in fact a real product. your dealer will probably call it "a touch of class" as the option though.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
Cris
What's FWD?
Rep
Drives: Former E82, current E39

If it's free, then go for it.

I was searching for Resistall and came across a Mercedes-Benz forum, discussing whether it was a good idea for the polymer sealant. This is an excerpt from here:

Just what are these packages?

Is there anything that the dealer is using on your interior and exterior that a professional detailer can't apply also?

These are questions, you as the consumer, should be asking the dealer. The answer, the correct answer is, "No, there is nothing in the Resistal application that's anything special. Any professional detailer can get these same products and apply them".

Now the dealer and/or the people applying the products won't usually be this honest but I can tell you that on the exterior they will most likely apply a polymer sealant. Most are made by ValuGuard so any professional detailer can obtain the same thing. In the interior nothing more than a conditioner is applied to the leather and a stain protector is applied to the carpets. Again most of these come from a company called "ValuGuard" so again any professional detailer can obtain and apply them and yes....they also come with a warranty.

One of my clients just bought a new Rover and he brought it to me to have a polymer applied to the exterior and then a stain protector applied to the carpets and condition the leather. I charged him around $200.00. The dealer was going to charge him around $600.00......for what?

My professional opinion....Don't do it.

Anthony
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #11
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Sounds like the old extra "rust proofing" scam.
The factory finish is engineered to resist all of the things the dealer is saying they will protect (just like 'rust proofing. What you should really be concerned about is nicks and scratches (which of course this does nothing for). Get a clear braa, but don't pay for an unecessary refinishing job.
      08-27-2008, 09:19 AM   #12
1ofthe1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for all the posts....

I have met with 2 others who showed me their cars and their paint finish still looked great on both of them after 6 months even with the sealant applied. Both of them had the same opion that there is nothing MAGIC or SPECIAL about the sealant (which I totally agree with as do most of you).

They felt that as long as it was free, their finish was not damaged and still looked great then the insurance might come in handy later on if he got egged or a bird pooped on their cars.

Since there is no factory option for this, my opinion is that this is simply about selling insurance as a money maker for the dealerships just like they do when you try to by something in a store and they push the "extended warranty" at you.