BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Non RFT Tire Longevity @ Track

I've done two HPDE's on the RFT's and was pleasantly surprised at the rate of wear. The stiff sidewalls did a good job controlling rollover, and the outside edge wasn't getting abused terribly bad. My car's only mods are BMW PS with alignmnet pins removed, so it's not like I have a ton of negative camber to help.

The RFT's are just about shot, so I'm looking at replacements. Probably will be going w/ Star Specs, but I am concerned about the softer sidewalls rolling over and destroying the tires prematurely. I saw another member experienced this with PS2's -- destroyed them in 2 events. If I would need to get camber plates, M3 components, etc. to dial enough negative camber to avoid this I may just stick w/ the RFT's.

Thoughts and experiences?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
I've done two HPDE's on the RFT's and was pleasantly surprised at the rate of wear. The stiff sidewalls did a good job controlling rollover, and the outside edge wasn't getting abused terribly bad. My car's only mods are BMW PS with alignmnet pins removed, so it's not like I have a ton of negative camber to help.

The RFT's are just about shot, so I'm looking at replacements. Probably will be going w/ Star Specs, but I am concerned about the softer sidewalls rolling over and destroying the tires prematurely. I saw another member experienced this with PS2's -- destroyed them in 2 events. If I would need to get camber plates, M3 components, etc. to dial enough negative camber to avoid this I may just stick w/ the RFT's.

Thoughts and experiences?
My SS lasted about 8k miles which included 5 HPDEs and at least 10 Auto-X events. I am on stock suspension and stock alignment settings. This doesn't mean you wouldn't be ruing them in one session by driving incorrectly. Most people wear out their rear first... mines are worn out pretty much evenly F to R with a bit more wear on the outer edges of the front tires. I went thru bunch of tires and this ones are the best and I will be ordering replacement over the winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

I've got a set of PS2s, and they're definitely showing their age after about 5 HPDEs and 10K miles.

However, if you're thinking about doing HPDEs or Auto-x's with any regularity, you owe it to yourself to get yourself a set of "real" tires. My first HPDE was on the factory RFTs and the performance increase was quite significant. Also, the softer sidewall made the car a lot more comfortable on the road.

As far as the other member that destroyed his PS2s in two events, that seems premature to me. I'm guessing that the tire pressures were probably to high or low.

I'm running a new set of track-only Star Specs this weekend, I'll let you know how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
babyboss
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 640d Msport

Garage List
2012 640d  [0.00]
guys pls xplain what is HPDE & Auto X ??
would r/flat be better for 1/4m drags & street runs ?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboss View Post
guys pls xplain what is HPDE & Auto X ??
would r/flat be better for 1/4m drags & street runs ?
HPDE= High Performance Driving Event. Could be 1 or more days driving at a track. Usually you are out 4 times in 20-30 minutes intervals per day with drivers of the same experience usually 20-40 cars. On average costs about $250/day on weekend could be cheaper if during the week.

Auto-X= Usually about 40 second to a 1 minute long course set up from cones, at parking lots or other big open spaces. You run 1 at the time, and on average you get about 5-8 runs in a day. Usually cost $35 - $50.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Wow... $250/day! The two HPDE's I've done have been with PCA @ Roebling Road outside Savannah, GA. Great track and only ~$220 for the whole weekend. Would be nice if some other 135i's made it out next spring!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

I love the Star Specs. I've run them on several cars including the 135i. Best bang for the buck in my experience. Even in my 4100lb. GT-500 they have held up well on the track. I've run 8+ track days on the current set on the GT500 and have 6500 additional street miles. I'd say they have about 30% tread left and still grip like crazy.
Appreciate 0