BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Wanted To Rent!!

I'm trying to find someone that will let me use their BT Cable. i want to use the bimmerpost free backend flash and i need a BT Cable for it. It says i dont need one with a VIN unlocked as it does not consume a VIN spot. i'll pay for shipping and even throw in a shiny new $20 bill (through paypal). someone's got to be willing to do this.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
TheBoostedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i/E92 M3/F12 650iX/E30/ E32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913
I'm trying to find someone that will let me use their BT Cable. i want to use the bimmerpost free backend flash and i need a BT Cable for it. It says i dont need one with a VIN unlocked as it does not consume a VIN spot. i'll pay for shipping and even throw in a shiny new $20 bill (through paypal). someone's got to be willing to do this.
What is that if I may ask, please pm me!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
I'm looking to use someone's Bavarian technic cable.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoostedOne View Post
your inbox is full. it wont let me respond.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
TheBoostedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i/E92 M3/F12 650iX/E30/ E32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoostedOne View Post
your inbox is full. it wont let me respond.
My bad just cleared it
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

If you can convince the BB guys to actually follow through on their promises to make it open source I'd help port it to a cheaper cable.

I suspect a cable could be made for less than $50 to do this. There's no actual physical reason the software couldn't use a less expensive cable. There's no special proprietary chip or anything for the communication.
      11-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
If you can convince the BB guys to actually follow through on their promises to make it open source I'd help port it to a cheaper cable.

I suspect a cable could be made for less than $50 to do this. There's no actual physical reason the software couldn't use a less expensive cable. There's no special proprietary chip or anything for the communication.
i thought it was open source. at least thats what it keeps saying. so thats why they made it so you cant use the other cords, trying to keep BT in some money.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

They never actually posted the source as far as I know. I pointed this out repeatedly right after they released the binaries, and Sticky had a bunch of his goons downvote me until I couldn't post anymore, basically banning for calling out their BS. They backpedaled hard on the whole open source thing after actually releasing the software, which is extremely unfortunate for all BMW tuners out there.

They were just ripping shiv up over the "tablet" thing (sorta like a Cobb AP) he sells which is $400 and reflashes raw ROM files because it wasn't open source. Only the ROM images it used were "open" so anyone could potentially disassemble/decompile them for analysis (which you cannot do with Cobb). Their counter still uses a $180+ BT cable and requires a laptop, so it's hardly an improvement. After all that bitching and moaning over shiv's tablet they should be embarrassed.

I was all on board at first when I saw them promise open source repeatedly, because I figured someone would take the source that only worked with a BT and get it working with something like a $20 VAGCOM cable, or make up a custom cable for <$50 since the components required are really not that expensive (core chip is only about $5, plus another $5-10 for cable, case, OBD plug, etc).

It's pretty funny, really. Honestly the handheld shiv has is probably a better bet since you don't need a laptop, and I think they were going to add logging to it, too. It is a bonus that it flashes the raw ROM files either way, whether or not the actual flashing part of their code is open source. But until the actual flashing software is open source you are stuck with an overly expensive proprietary cable.

Last edited by Freon; 11-07-2013 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

repost this on e90post. way bigger audience there. gl
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST1
repost this on e90post. way bigger audience there. gl
Will try that, thanks for the advice

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon
They never actually posted the source as far as I know. I pointed this out repeatedly right after they released the binaries, and Sticky had a bunch of his goons downvote me until I couldn't post anymore, basically banning for calling out their BS. They backpedaled hard on the whole open source thing after actually releasing the software, which is extremely unfortunate for all BMW tuners out there.

They were just ripping shiv up over the "tablet" thing (sorta like a Cobb AP) he sells which is $400 and reflashes raw ROM files because it wasn't open source. Only the ROM images it used were "open" so anyone could potentially disassemble/decompile them for analysis (which you cannot do with Cobb). Their counter still uses a $180+ BT cable and requires a laptop, so it's hardly an improvement. After all that bitching and moaning over shiv's tablet they should be embarrassed.

I was all on board at first when I saw them promise open source repeatedly, because I figured someone would take the source that only worked with a BT and get it working with something like a $20 VAGCOM cable, or make up a custom cable for &lt;$50 since the components required are really not that expensive (core chip is only about $5, plus another $5-10 for cable, case, OBD plug, etc).

It's pretty funny, really. Honestly the handheld shiv has is probably a better bet since you don't need a laptop, and I think they were going to add logging to it, too. It is a bonus that it flashes the raw ROM files either way, whether or not the actual flashing part of their code is open source. But until the actual flashing software is open source you are stuck with an overly expensive proprietary cable.
This is all very new to me with the open source and what all is involved with the flashing. I've always had JB4. When I saw the sticky about this free BMS back end flash, I knew I had to start atleast trying to get it. The only way I knew before was with the Cobb which is way more than the cable. And now terry is making, and tweaking flashes for it, it seems like the best option. But then it said it doesn't require a VIN spot on the cable. I figured someone might let me borrow one with the VIN already used for a few dollars. This is proving harder than I thought. I would loan if if I had one. But I'm also super trusting. Found someone over on bimmerbo ost willing to do that for $180. Then when you ship it back you get $150 back, if he approved. That just doesn't sit right with me since I'm not using the vin on it. And he could just come up with a reason to not give my money back like its dirty or something. If the vin was already used, what good is the cable other than using this program. I already have access to a cable for coding and all that. They kicked you? That's nuts. I would create 27 more screen names and just flood it with your argument just out of spite. Haha. I guess well see how this turns out.

Appreciate 0