BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

polishing tail lights?

I will begin my spring polish/sealant process on my cars. I always look at my tail lights every year and wonder if I should polish them and then apply some sealant. I will be doing a full clay first followed with M105, M205 polish and then follow up with some Menzerna powerlock sealant. Do any of you use the full process on your tail lights? The plastic on the tail lights is not in bad shape but while I have the porter cable doing its thing...is it worth doing?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

Don't know for sure about the polish, they have items for that particular need, but I always put sealent/wax on the light covers. It really helps keep the bugs from sticking to the headlights. Just don't do the windows with sealent/wax.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDM68 View Post
Don't know for sure about the polish, they have items for that particular need, but I always put sealent/wax on the light covers. It really helps keep the bugs from sticking to the headlights. Just don't do the windows with sealent/wax.
I notice that in most of Detailers Domain's write up's they always put sealant on the windows. I have done that the last few times and the windows come out great. I have seen the headlight kits but the write ups on the box makes it seem they are for faded or scratched lights. Mine are in good shape but I wondered if hitting them with M105/M205 would be benifitial.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Very much so. You'll see a large increase in gloss with a nice increase in clarity. Your tail lights can get defects just like your paint and lose their brilliance over time (though they're usually MUCH harder than your clear-coat and resist defects a bit better).
Polish them and then seal with with the rest of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 03:32 AM   #5
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
I notice that in most of Detailers Domain's write up's they always put sealant on the windows. I have done that the last few times and the windows come out great. I have seen the headlight kits but the write ups on the box makes it seem they are for faded or scratched lights. Mine are in good shape but I wondered if hitting them with M105/M205 would be benifitial.
Yeah I guess I shouldn't have put seslent but wax tends to haze over time plus it's not truly clear.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDM68 View Post
Yeah I guess I shouldn't have put seslent but wax tends to haze over time plus it's not truly clear.
Wax is fine. Wax does not "haze over time" and how optically clear it is is nearly irrelevant when you take into account how thin the film of wax that actually would stick around is.
Appreciate 0