BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #45
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

I have a rule: Anybody who "asks" (uses their turn signal), I will let in.

You're right about driver's licenses. It's unfortunate that they've become so integral to other identification purposes -- I think it's caused governments to be lax about renewal requirements and procedures. In my state (as I think in most states?) you can renew online and the license is good for 8 years. In Florida you can't renew twice in a row online (gotta come in for a vision test, but that's it), but I've heard that in Georgia you can renew indefinitely online.
      09-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #46
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by propkaPT View Post
5. I hate how lax the drivers license tests are. In europe you have to prove you can drive a car...not just park, 3 point turn, etc. If we make the test harder and provide more driver training...we will prevent accidents/ deaths

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #47
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss View Post
I have a rule: Anybody who "asks" (uses their turn signal), I will let in.
I thought both of those activities were illegal in your neck of the woods (or mangroves, as the case may be). That certainly seems to be the case here in the Wasington, DC metro area!

Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #48
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

LOL, that is SO wrong!
      09-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #49
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrube View Post
Im a douchebag because I dont want to be stuck behind accidents? What do you pay for power for if you dont use it?
It doesn't sound like you will because all the accidents will be behind your ass from your improper driving. Please keep the the dumb shit on the track because I have kids out on the road and don't need racer's like you acting the fool around them.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #50
mschrube
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDM68 View Post
It doesn't sound like you will because all the accidents will be behind your ass from your improper driving. Please keep the the dumb shit on the track because I have kids out on the road and don't need racer's like you acting the fool around them.
Im not a racer. I just dont want to be behind all the coma drivers. Yeah I said I want to pass people but I dont go driving and search for people to pass, I just dont want to be behind those infront of me. (directly in front of me not a mile ahead) Sorry if all that sounded bad before.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #51
fusion01
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus ST: 2.5l /5 cyl

Garage List
#1 leads to me trying to locate an anger-management course. Whole highway ahead but bloke sits in fast lane. I don't want to overtake on slow lane in case he pulls over. So I sit, wait, flash lights, get pissed off. Eventually he might pull over, I might hoot and he f**king hoots back at me. Like WTF? I've actually pulled over and braked before contemplating side-swiping him for his inability to be self introspective, but hey my car was worth a whole lot more than his
135i M-Sport: 240kw & 480nm ATW / 6MT / AW / SR / HK Logic 7 / iDrive / Lumbar Support & Seat Heating / BMW Perf Exhaust, Side Skirts, Grilles, Rotors & Gear Knob / CF Mirrors & Boot Spoiler / gunmetal CSL Reps
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #52
baylor1er
Sic 'Em Bears
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe Blk on Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion01 View Post
Whole highway ahead but bloke sits in fast lane. I don't want to overtake on slow lane in case he pulls over. So I sit, wait, flash lights, get pissed off. Eventually he might pull over, I might hoot and he f**king hoots back at me. Like WTF? I've actually pulled over and braked before contemplating side-swiping him for his inability to be self introspective, but hey my car was worth a whole lot more than his
Heres a cop that feels the same way:

Personally I perfer going 5mph over the limit however if I see several cars cruising faster than that, I tend to join them. I once was cruising at 100 with an M3 and never thought twice about it since his radar probably kicks mine any day of the week. I have the tendency to be agressive but city traffic is too dense during rushhour so I'm forced to slow down.

6AT/Sport Package; BMS JB4 Map5; Custom Exhaust; Eibach Pro Street Springs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xNzG9ghq3s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgL7yTJOd0c
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #53
SurfStar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fboutlaw View Post
Get this out of you at the track. You give us a bad name (and high insurance rates).

Highways = defensive driving. There are already enough idiots out there.
Track/AutoX = get the crazy out.
+1

2008 135i - SGM - Coral Red Leather
2012 X3 xDrive35i - Jet Black - Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #54
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

- I always use turn signals when changing lanes

- I don't like other cars near me (in case they do something stupid) so I speed up or slow down to gain some space.

- I always try to be behind a tractor trailer than in front. I know that I can react faster than his 70,000 lbs

- If I have to use the cell phone (which is very rear BTW) I only do it with the Bluetooth that came with the car. I will never hold the phone to my ear while driving.

- If you tailgate me I will turn on the European rear fog lights. I installed this switch after market. I guarantee this gets the attention of the person behind you and they quickly get away from you.

- And for god's sakes please get out of the left lane if you don't want to drive fast. No one appointed you keeper of the speed limit.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #55
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
- And for god's sakes please get out of the left lane if you don't want to drive fast. No one appointed you keeper of the speed limit.
+1,000,000!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 04:02 AM   #56
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Tailgaters, my process is as follows:

1. Proceed to slow and "draw them in" a little bit more.
2. Turn on rear fog lights (looks as though it's brakes) and watch them back right off.
3. If Step 2 doesn't work, slow riiiiight down to about half the limit and when they go to overtake, beat them back up to speed limit.
4. If all else fails, I mash the brake pedal through the firewall and see if their reactions and brakes can stand up to the test.

I hate tailgaters. Having driven in Europe for that long, tailgating is warranted ONLY on the freeway and it lasts about 10 seconds. In Australia, it's done on single lane roads, or multi-lane roads with other lanes free.

My old WRX had a tow-ball. I applied the above process to a Holden VS Ute who was tailgating me along an 80km/h road (i was sitting just below 90). He flogged it wrong side of the road, couldn't pass, moved back in behind me and I couldn't see his 'hood' he was that close. So, slammed on the brakes, he went up my ass and latched his front bar onto my tow ball. I drove forward, ripped off his front bar and drove a good 40m scratching it up as it hung off the back of my car. I pulled over, made him remove it from my car.

I had the car checked 2 days later and no damage. He ended up having to have his front end put back together.

Freeway though, never do that stuff. I sit in the right lane (our fast lane), and just do the odd flash of the high beams if i'm approaching someone sticking to the limit. They usually move.
Appreciate 0