BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

Bilstein B16 ERC Coilover System comparison

I have installed M3 control arms front and rear and rear subframe bushings and the B16 ERC suspension, I have the stock runflats still on so this should be a unique comparison as it excludes the tyres as a factor.

I have got the suspension set up as close to stock as possible which is 1cm lower than stock.

1stly, the rear bushings give a more connected feel to the rear tyres over bumps.

As for the suspension, the biggest difference is its a lot less harsh in both settings. In comfort setting it devours potholes where the stock suspension would make some passengers swear.

Over speed bumps there isnt too much difference between the 2 settings.

Over rough road surfaces the comfort mode seems a lot more comfortable than sport mode, big difference here and I feel this is the selling point.

One major downside is in comfort mode there is a bit of a pogo effect/bouncing, which is only noticed on few occasions such as very small speedbumps when going over them at a decent speed (due to this sport mode is actually better for small speed bumps).
And on some roads the undulations dont do comfort mode any favours and you can feel the bouncing although its liveable.

I have been thrashing my car a lot since getting the suspension done yesterday, its all been uneventful except for 1 time it felt as though the whole car was sliding around a bit and I instinctevly was wobbling the steering wheel to straighten it up, it felt very strange, there was no tyre squeel and TCS did not flash. I will try repeat this again on the same section of road.

I cant comment on the handling because I dont push the car to its limits handling wise, but I have given it around some twisties in both modes and there was no funny business.

I will update when I try recreate the weird sliding sensation of the car. And also when I put on the PSS tyres.

Here is the only other review I could find for the specific suspension: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270940

Also I contacted Bilstein and they said this suspension was for both runflats and non runflats.

Last edited by ItsHectic; 04-20-2014 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 2
Bimmer TV125.00
atr_hugo325.00
      05-31-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
I have a long-term project in mind involving this setup, but it would be contingent on the work involved to piggyback the electronic button to the car's existing sport button, a la the way Porsches do it.
      05-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
awns729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
I have installed M3 control arms front and rear and rear subframe bushings and the B16 ERC suspension, I have the stock runflats still on so this should be a unique comparison as it excludes the tyres as a factor.

I have got the suspension set up as close to stock as possible which is 1cm lower than stock.

1stly, the rear bushings give a more connected feel to the rear tyres over bumps.

As for the suspension, the biggest difference is its a lot less harsh in both settings. In comfort setting it devours potholes where the stock suspension would make some passengers swear.

Over rough road surfaces the comfort mode seems a lot more comfortable than sport mode, big difference here and I feel this is the selling point.

One major downside is in comfort mode there is a bit of a pogo effect/bouncing, which is only noticed on few occasions such as very small speedbumps when going over them at a decent speed (due to this sport mode is actually better for small speed bumps).
And on some roads the undulations dont do comfort mode any favours and you can feel the bouncing although its liveable.

I have been thrashing my car a lot since getting the suspension done yesterday, its all been uneventful except for 1 time it felt as though the whole car was sliding around a bit and I instinctevly was wobbling the steering wheel to straighten it up, it felt very strange, there was no tyre squeel and TCS did not flash. I will try repeat this again on the same section of road.

I cant comment on the handling because I dont push the car to its limits handling wise, but I have given it around some twisties in both modes and there was no funny business.

I will update when I try recreate the weird sliding sensation of the car. And also when I put on the PSS tyres.

Here is the only other review I could find for the specific suspension: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270940

Also I contacted Bilstein and they said this suspension was for both runflats and non runflats.
Thank you so much for this post. I'm looking at the same setup, but hesitant to spend the money. If you have a few minutes, I have some questions:

1) Isn't the minimum lowering 3cm? Up to 5cm?
2) This review experienced 3 issues. Did you have any of them?
a. Steering wheel sensor problems b/c the car was lowered. His power steering/active steering shut off because the sensors were reading implausible values. He had to go to BMW to have it recalibrated
b. Too low - possibly because of low spring rates for the weight of this 335. More scraping on parking ramps than before.
c. Clunking noises from the dampers, even after Bilstein replaced the 1st set under warranty
3) Overall, is the car more comfortable than the stock M sport suspension in the "Normal" mode? While I'm looking forward to the sport seetting, the increased comfort day-to-day is a huge, huge factor for me too.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 03:15 AM   #4
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by awns729 View Post
Thank you so much for this post. I'm looking at the same setup, but hesitant to spend the money. If you have a few minutes, I have some questions:

1) Isn't the minimum lowering 3cm? Up to 5cm?
2) This review experienced 3 issues. Did you have any of them?
a. Steering wheel sensor problems b/c the car was lowered. His power steering/active steering shut off because the sensors were reading implausible values. He had to go to BMW to have it recalibrated
b. Too low - possibly because of low spring rates for the weight of this 335. More scraping on parking ramps than before.
c. Clunking noises from the dampers, even after Bilstein replaced the 1st set under warranty
3) Overall, is the car more comfortable than the stock M sport suspension in the "Normal" mode? While I'm looking forward to the sport seetting, the increased comfort day-to-day is a huge, huge factor for me too.
I have B14, now with linear springs and camber plates. Will answer as they share the same foundations...
1- It's a low kit
2- Yes it is low, I haven't had electric shit fail because mine doesn't have it? Damper quality is good- I've had these for 60k km without issue, have had other brands of shocks and the Bilsteins typically last the longest
3- Yes

Linear springs made a big difference for me, the progressives are better for urban only driving, but the moment the roads open up you would appreciate linear.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
Bimmer TV
1Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M Sport PPK

Quote:

Do you still have the car and or how did these work out for you in the long run? I'm looking into picking up the ECR B16 kit myself so any feedback would be much appreciated!
Monaco Blue/Coral Red | MHD BE Flash | RI M1 Bumper | VRSF 7" FMIC | aFe DCI Intake | AR Catless DP | ER CP & Tial Q BOV | H&R Springs | VMR 18" | Black Gloss Grills | aFe Air Intake Scoops | MFactory SMFW | 335is Clutch | Blacked Out Side Markers | Carbon Fiber Deck Spoiler | LUX LED Angel Eyes | BMW Aluminum Pedals | BMS OCC | Mishimoto OCC | RB Turbo External PVC Kit | JB4 w/ Wireless | PR Stage 2 Fuel Pump | BMS SSK
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
I cursed and swore today on the A3 autobahn, car is stable but the smallest bump and it feels like i am crashing. That was at speeds excess of 160kph
Appreciate 0