BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Ot: Scammer Alert!!!!!!!

I know is sound crazy, but it's not on the forum. The below I copied from my post on FB. Please beware.

Friends, I normally don't do this but better be advised than caught off guard. BEWARE OF CALLS THAT COME FROM AN 876 AREA CODE. The call I just got was from a 876-841-9230.

The person that spoke with me said that I had won a 3rd place prize from Publisher's Clearinghouse because I shopped at either a Kmart or a Walmart. The guy has a HORRIBLE and muffled accent like he has something over the handset of the phone. He asked me at which one I shopped and noticing what it was I told him "Walmart", then he asked how far did I live from one, I told him about 10-15 minutes, then he told me to drive to the Walmart so I can meet him there. When I asked him for his name, he started mumbling something and then I told him since I have his number I was going to contact the authorities so he can get thrown in jail so he can speak with idiots like him that can't be understood when they speak or say something.

I did a google search for the area code and the number is from Jamaica. There were also reports of scammers targeting seniors in this fashion in New Hampshire. Be careful and stay safe.

And yes, this is REAL!!!!

Nick
      03-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
well if they want to call my German Phone number I would be more than happy to engage them in a lengthy discussion.

I think Thomas is now the expert on scams.