BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
Blauweisser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M-Sport

a very small question...

After being totally dazzled by all the advanced modding that goes on around here, I have a very small question .. really small.

Somehow, the chrome plating around the edge of my boot badge has flaked. I bought a new badge, but I'm a bit chicken to pry out the old one (scared of scratching the paint). Is there a recommended tool for the job, or do I have to take out all the boot lid lining and push the old one from the back?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blauweisser View Post
After being totally dazzled by all the advanced modding that goes on around here, I have a very small question .. really small.

Somehow, the chrome plating around the edge of my boot badge has flaked. I bought a new badge, but I'm a bit chicken to pry out the old one (scared of scratching the paint). Is there a recommended tool for the job, or do I have to take out all the boot lid lining and push the old one from the back?
Hey hey,

Just did a quick google search and this came up. It's pretty clear on how to remove and replace the roundel.

It looks as though they do use a plastic tool with a microfibre cloth underneath to avoid scratching the paint. The tool looks like it comes from an interior trim tool set. I'm sure it could be done carefully with a cloth and a screwdriver if you don't have or don't want to buy the tool.

http://blog.bavauto.com/3091/bmw-rou...acement-video/

Good luck.
      11-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #3
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
Double strand of dental floss will remove without any damage
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Yup(!) use some dental floss and maybe a micro fiber towel. You can look up "trunk debadge DIY" and find many threads.

When I debadged my car, I only used the micro fiber towel and stuck in on the corner/edge of the numbers, then I started to tug it off. I did not have to pry it off. I just "pulled" each digit off. I would also use some 3M all purpose adhesive remover to "clean off" whats left of the double sided tape. Using a heat gun or hair drier will also come in handy. G.L.

Dackel
Appreciate 0