BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
sjw985
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (BSM)

Lamin-X Installers or good alternative - ATL or even border states

Hi there, it's the newbie greenhorn again!

A little background - as with many on this board, I revelled in Dan Parker's descriptions of how wonderful the new Lamin-X precuts are and how incredible it looks and how well it will protect our shiny new 1Ms. Pretty much solely on his recommendation and experience I decided to go that route, and I started looking in to how I can actually acquire this magical body armor and have it applied to my vehicle.

Part 1 is easy - I called the Lamin-X guys (very friendly and helpful) and it sounds like acquisition would be a breeze. Where I'm running into substantial headwinds is the installation part.

I'm in the ATL metro area so my first inclination was to just go where Dan went. Well... I shudda oughta might could have realized that since Dan aided development, his work was done at the mothership rather than at a normal network installer and we reglar folk can't leverage that option. So I asked the folks at Lamin-X to recommend a couple of installers in the ATL area so I would't have to randomly call numbers that were posted on their website. And I think they then began to consult that very same website, because...

...the first (recommended) guy I talked to proceeded to tell me that all 3M was crap and that I should buy his stuff instead. He wouldn't touch the Lamin-X 1M kits with a 100-KM pole. And he was an authorized installer? With friends like that...

One of the other guys that was recommended sounds quite high end (he specializes in Lambos, Ferraris, Porches 'n sich) but Lamin-x advised me that he similarly won't use the kits - he cuts his own film. Which may be a fine and valid option that I ultimately go with, and I really appreciate their willingness to share that information, but the point of the pre-cut kits was (I thought) to reduce cost and streamline the installation process.

I didn't have a chance to reach out to the third installer yet, shame on me but it was a long day and I have to keep my job if I want to keep my 1M. And I do.

Anyway - here's my real question - has anybody actually had the Lamin-X kits installed by a third-party affiliate who was willing, able, and qualified to install it? I would REALLY love to take my car to a place that's familiar with the kit and has put it on a 1M before and I'm just not getting that information from Lamin-X despite asking two different people there. ATL metro or GA is definitely preferred for convenience but I'm not averse to taking a little road trip if there's a good shop somewhere in the southeast. I have friends and family in a couple of states and wouldn't mind an excuse to take a "break in" trip in conjunction with a 3 day weekend.

But then there's option 2 - am I following a false idol? Do I even really NEED the Lamin-X kit? Is there a shop or installer who does great work on a custom basis in the ATL area who I should head to instead and not think twice about it? I've been scratching through the web like a starving dog digging for a buried bone but I can just seem to find a reference to THE definitive shop or installer in the area who is guaranteed to do the job to perfection. And I still can't get my hands around VentureShield vs the other 3M vs Stone Guard vs XPEL vs Saran Wrap vs Dragon Skin (though what I have seen so far biases me slightly toward VentureShield - Dragon Skin is only available to active US military personnel).

So if your still with me after this ridiculously long rant/missive/plea I'm open to any and all recommendations and feedback on WHAT to install and WHERE to have the work done.

And please believe me, I post this only in desperation. I have been ing for the answers for several days and in the interim uncovered dump trucks are haunting my dreams.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

I am actually having the same problem. I cannot find an installer for the pre-cut films. So I have decided that I would just ask a buddy for help and install it myself. And if it fails or does not look good, then last resort would be to get someone who cuts their own film and install.

If I knew this before I ordered the film, I would not have ordered it. Too late now, it has been shipped and they charge 35% restocking fee. For the restocking fee, I figure I'd take the chance and install it myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

xpel has the templates for any installer to use. I had someone use the avery nanoguard which was cut using xpel's templates. The nanoguard is very smooth (no orange peel like 3m) and has lifetime warranty for yellowing, peeling or cracking. xpel has just about every pierce you would want. I did bumper, hood, lights, mirrors, rocker panels, rear fender edges and trunk deck.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
xpel has the templates for any installer to use. I had someone use the avery nanoguard which was cut using xpel's templates. The nanoguard is very smooth (no orange peel like 3m) and has lifetime warranty for yellowing, peeling or cracking. xpel has just about every pierce you would want. I did bumper, hood, lights, mirrors, rocker panels, rear fender edges and trunk deck.
Xpel website only talks about a 7 year warranty.

"XPEL Paint Protection Film will not to yellow, crack or peel for 7 years after installation"

http://www.xpel.com/products/paint.asp
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I just had VentureShield put on my car. This is not the first car on which I've had ppf (paint protective film) applied and this was, by far, the best job.

Wherever possible, panels were wrapped around the edges. Even the front grills were removed so the film could be tucked behind them.

THe job was done by Cliff BeauBeau of Auto Armour in Columbia, MD. He has access to quite a number of different templates, but alters them to his liking using CAD/CAM before laser cutting the film.

Often times, stock templates are cut small so there is wiggle-room for the installer to "maneuver" the pieces. However, this generally means that the edges of the individual pieces are visible. I do not know whether this is the case with Lamin-X, but you should check if you're inclined to go that way.

FWIW, I'd suggest that you find someone who will wrap the panels wherever possible and who is willing to do some "custom" work.

Neil

Last edited by MDORPHN; 08-03-2011 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Xpel

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Quote:
Xpel website only talks about a 7 year warranty.

"XPEL Paint Protection Film will not to yellow, crack or peel for 7 years after installation"

http://www.xpel.com/products/paint.asp
Read my post. We used avery nanoguard cut using xpel templates,
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Nano fusion not nano guard
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Read my post. We used avery nanoguard cut using xpel templates,
DOH. I'll give myself a
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Lamin-x
Registered
Rep
Drives: German

We regret that the provided references have not panned out in an ideal manner. This has exposed an unfortunate (and unexpected) weakness within our dealer network – something that we will address immediately.

Concerning the difference between pre-cut kit and bulk paint protection application, it is simply a matter of the individual installer’s preference. Some installers prefer the bulk installation because it gives them a bit more flexibility during the process. However, any professional installer should be able install paint protection in either form.

Similarly, the paint protection brand used by installers is, for the most part, based upon personal preference. When selecting a brand, installers will consider some or all of the following: Pricing, quality, familiarity, ease of installation, and customer support.

If you would like, we can provide you with another installer’s contact information. This this installer is based in Buford and installs pre-cut VentureShield kits. To keep this post from becoming a shameless advertisement on our end, email us at help@lamin-x.com for the installer information.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
I am actually having the same problem. I cannot find an installer for the pre-cut films. So I have decided that I would just ask a buddy for help and install it myself. And if it fails or does not look good, then last resort would be to get someone who cuts their own film and install.

If I knew this before I ordered the film, I would not have ordered it. Too late now, it has been shipped and they charge 35% restocking fee. For the restocking fee, I figure I'd take the chance and install it myself.
Once you get started, if you have trouble you will notice that the kit tells you to email them for help. Don't bother. They don't respond.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

First they say any good installer can use pre-cut or bulk paint protection. Then they recommend an installer who uses only pre-cut kits. Sooo, is that installer not a professional? I have to say I really like the avery nano fusion if you can find it.

Last edited by rad doc; 08-05-2011 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
sjw985
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (BSM)

I e-mailed them when I got home from work & will let you guys know how it turns out.
Appreciate 0