BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

iPod via Bluetooth dissappeared

I've got my iPod connected to my 1M via the USB, and I've had my music synched from my iPhone via Bluetooth, and been able to switch between them easily. My car has Nav and BMW apps, in case that matters. I've just signed up for the iCloud music service, which if you're not familiar with it copies my entire music library to the "cloud" and allows me to access it from any device, from anywhere that has web access (costs $25 a year). Since I've signed up for this, my iPhone doesn't seem to be able to synch music to my car anymore.

Any thoughts? I don't use music off the phone often, but I like to be able to download stuff from iTunes and listen to it immediately rather than having to take my iPod out of the car, transfer music from the phone to my desktop, and then synch the iPod.

I've checked all of my settings, and nothing has changed.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
///Mbedded
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///1M Coupe VO

Did you pair the iPhone through Bluetooth? There are Bluetooth options in the Telephone settings for each device. You can choose what each device can do over Bluetooth. Look for checkboxes like 'Phone', 'Audio,' etc. Go to your phone in the Telephone menu and click the Option button on the iDrive controller.
      12-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by einserM View Post
Did you pair the iPhone through Bluetooth? There are Bluetooth options in the Telephone settings for each device. You can choose what each device can do over Bluetooth. Look for checkboxes like 'Phone', 'Audio,' etc. Go to your phone in the Telephone menu and click the Option button on the iDrive controller.

Related question: If you have audio enabled over bluetooth and then hook up the phone through the USB conenction in the center console, does it automatically disable the bluetooth audio? The reason I ask is because I have gotten a warning before letting me know that it can only use 1 at a time (makes sense), but I'm wondering which it chooses to use.
      12-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
BuddhaPilot
Swollen Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BSM Z4 3.0

Flz,

You're correct. Anytime you hook it up to the USB it will disable Bluetooth audio. It's a pain in the ass sometimes to remember the correct screen to reenable it at. I've still yet to take the time to transfer my music directly to the car's hard drive so the only time I plug it in is when my phone needs a charge.

Finally delivered!!...2012 135i/AW over Coral Red/MSport/Nav/HK/Toasty Seats/6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
staianoa
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
2018 BMW X1  [0.00]
1990 325i Sedan  [0.00]
1995 540i M Sport  [0.00]
2011 1 Series M Coupe  [10.00]
USB knocks out Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post

Related question: If you have audio enabled over bluetooth and then hook up the phone through the USB conenction in the center console, does it automatically disable the bluetooth audio? The reason I ask is because I have gotten a warning before letting me know that it can only use 1 at a time (makes sense), but I'm wondering which it chooses to use.
I've noticed this too. The only way I've found to re-enable Bluetooth after plugging in to USB is by "forgetting" the car in the iPhone and then re-initializing the Bluetooth connection. This is quite annoying. Does anyone know of a way to make Bluetooth the defaul? Or maybe there's a way to disable the USB connection while still allowing a "charing only" connection (since the Bluetooth connection drains the battery super quickly!). Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide help!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by staianoa View Post
I've noticed this too. The only way I've found to re-enable Bluetooth after plugging in to USB is by "forgetting" the car in the iPhone and then re-initializing the Bluetooth connection. This is quite annoying.

Same here as well. I stopped using the Bluetooth feature from my phone because of this and the fact that it sounds WAY better through the USB connection.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0