BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
samael
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe 6M

Xenon bulb prices / adaptive headlights

Recently I took my 135 through a car wash....and afterwards was greeted with an adaptive headlight failure warning. Anyway, noticing condensation in the headlight cover, I did some poking around and found that the right-hand clamp for the passenger side headlight cover (in the engine bay) wasn't latched. Not sure how it got that way, I bought the vehicle used. Could have been left that way or popped out.

As noted in other threads, that headlight cover on the passenger side is a real pain to put back in place. I tried drying it out for a while, but no dice on it working. After fiddling with it for probably half an hour I got the cover back in, latched properly.

Anyway, I have a service appointment now. I might check the fuses though I realize this is probably a long shot. Asking if this might be a warranty repair the advisor said they'll probably check for body work first, then who knows. Doesn't look like it to me but again my eye isn't trained in spotting that. How might you tell if there were body work in the area of the headlight? Any experiences getting something like that serviced under warranty or how the warranty determination works?

Also, if the bulb needs to be replaced, they quoted me $450. Seems steep, and pricing the HID D1S online only had prices that high for 'OEM Compatible' bulbs. Without that, xenon bulb prices seemed to be in the $80-$130 range. What's the deal with the 'OEM Compatible' bulbs? Is it worth it or needed for any reason?

Looks like the owner's manual says don't mess with the Xenon system or you risk getting zapped to death. In that case if you take it to the dealer I'm not sure how much choice you'd have in bulbs....

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

3 years ago, my Z4 was involved in an accident with damage to the right headlight. At that time, the headlight assembly w/o bulb was $800. after it was repaired, it began leaking due to an incorrectly fitted gasket and the subsequent xenon bulb replacement was $200 for the part. (All parts were OEM.)

Luckily, the other party's insurance paid for the initial damage and the repair shop took care of the bulb replacement.

$450 does seem to be high - unless it requires 2 hours of labor. (How many BMW techs does it take to change a light bulb?)

Tom
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

$450 seems kind of high to me too. I have not checked recently but a few years back the local BMW want 130 euros for the BMW Xenon bulbs. I was over at my local after market German parts place and asked them how much for a Osram or Philips Xenon bulbs. They wanted 90 euros. I imagine the bulb prices have come down some.

Maybe you dealer was quoting you $450 for TWO bulbs? Left AND right sides? Bc I remember the guys at BMW saying that when you replace one of these bulbs... with the same exact type bulb/brand... the color will be off from old to new bulbs. Just FIY.

I think as long as you replace the Xenon bulb with the system OFF, you should be ok. Little risk of electricution! Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
samael
United_States
Rep

Well, I got the car used, but looking at it no evidence of front end damage previously to my owning it. So sounds like it'll be under warranty. I'll know for sure when I get it back tomorrow or Friday but it's marked as a warranty repair.

Dunno about $450 for two, I think it was just one. Again, the only ones I saw like that were the OEM compatible ones:

http://www.google.com/#q=HID+D1S+OEM+compatible

Shopping results consist of 'Pair Compatible' bulbs for around $500. Ouch. Maybe that's for the color as you mention.

Yeah, 25000 volts but how many amps? Fuses are for 40 amps, and I'm guessing one per headlight after looking at the fuse box. As an aside, boy is that fuse box hard to access, recessed there behind the glove box. The access hole is too small. I couldn't really get at them to tell if one was blown, though I really doubt that was the problem.

It's also getting the software update that relates to the HPFP, though I haven't had any problems (save for a temporary engine warning light that didn't come back after the next start of the vehicle) on that front. Hopefully that'll stave off any HPFP problems.

Either way I'm gonna check that passenger side headlight gasket fitting before taking it through the car wash again. It is a REAL pain to get on right. I spent an hour doing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
samael
United_States
Rep

Okay, well they ordered parts, and apparently that wasn't enough, so ordered more parts.

I'll be without the car for at least a week total, after initially thinking it would be a day or two. This is kinda frustrating, do repairs normally take this long?
Appreciate 0