BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #23
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
Actually I did have to pull the steering rack out a couple of times for those installs and the bolts squeak now when I tighten them. I'll order new bolts and give that a go too. Why not right?
+1.

Also... you know almost ALL the bolts on our suspension are a ONE TIME use bolt. They are an alloy and they stretch when torqued to specs. They can fatigue and break - so its best NOT to reuse them.
I'm usually pretty anal about that...kinda disappointed in myself for not replacing the steering rack bolts.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #24
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

An update.....I finally replaced the steering rack with the 335i unit (same part number as ours) from the Rack Doctor. Unit is an identical match.

Good news: The thunking has stopped...no more noise.

Bad news: There is a plastic alignment tab on the steering rack where it connects to the steering shaft that was not on the the refurbished unit. I had to remove it from the old one and did my best to keep the alignment correct but it looks like I was about 15 degrees off which made the alignment very difficult and almost impossible for the dealer to do. I'm going to shift it again and get it realigned.
Appreciate 0