BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
onthe1
Rep
Drives:

people are disappointing

I've been browsing these forms for awhile but haven't actually registered or posted, but after what happened today, I had to post... I own a silver 135 that I've had for less than a month... 1250 miles I'm definitely a car guy and I really love this car.. So i'm walking to the car after having lunch at this deli, and there's a big scratch down the passenger door and above the door handle. I was freakin keyed!!! Really unbelievable. I mean, if a shopping cart rolled into it, or someone opened a door and dinged it, i'd still be pissed, but it wouldn't be intentional. But for someone to just come up and key the door... It's just really disappointing. Anyway, I'll be taking it to BMW tomorrow to get it repaired.. Just thought I'd get some easy sympathy from some caring 1 fans...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
993 911
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z3M, F31, G07

If someone were ever to do that to my car I could only wish they timed it with my return so I could remind them to respect my property in the harshest way possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
pitiful - sad indeed. Bright side only a scratch. upset cuz they can't buy one.. who knows..
      10-16-2008, 02:29 AM   #4
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Oh mate, I am sorry to see to read this. What is wrong with people? We've had this done to my missus' car twice for no reason (not like she parks badly).
I hope you'll get it back to pristine ASAP.

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 05:05 AM   #5
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. If I saw someone doing it I would take out my key and key their face, then perhaps they would understand how upsetting it can be.

It's usually done by brainless teenagers.
      10-16-2008, 06:00 AM   #6
JLight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Sending sympathy - I don't understand people that "key" cars -- STUPID!
6-Man, Comf. Access, PDC, Nav, HD, Sat. Radio, Premium Hi-Fi, Ipod, Smartphone integ.
- Finished Production 1st week of Sept. -
- 9/11/08 = 1er arrived at the port
- 9/16/08 = Don Q to USA
- 10/3/08 = Arrived to VPC in Georgia
- Estimated Delivery = WHO KNOWS?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
Dr_Jones
Major
Rep
Drives:

to guote vincent vega from pulp fiction

"it would have been worth him doing it...just so i could catch him doing it"

"no jury straight to execution"
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 06:40 AM   #8
Duckw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, 2010 VW Sportwagen

In an economic downturn, any premium car, even one that could be perceived as the lowliest of its kind, is more likely than ever to excite a petty response from the frustrated and envious. That was the real point of my "Keeping down appearances" thread. To see the worry behind my feeble joke borne out by the attack on your door makes me feel like a perpetrator of black humor. I'm sorry you have been the victim of what can only be petty malice and envy.
      10-16-2008, 07:13 AM   #9
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

FYI, and I know not everyone can do this...

I do not park the car in areas where people key cars.
Near: walk ways, paths, sidewalks, doors. If someone wants to key it, they have to walk to the far part of the parking lot. I don’t park on the street unless it’s near home in a lazy part of town. If in the core of Toronto, I would park in a paid parking lot in the back. Yes then I have to worry about smash and grab, so I leave zero in the car, not even tissue. And I try not to do that too often. I find places where I can view the car from the window, like where I love to play billiards. I am lucky that I usually have someone with me, so I have them run in while I listen to the radio and do some work on the laptop. In my opinion our car, is at the centre of attention of almost every car park. Almost all the other BMW's blend in, ours stick out. Just last night I was sitting in the car, while I was waiting for someone, and a son/dad pulls up. Father gets out and says to the son, "Wholly shit, it's a 1 series!" They start to look but then realize I am in there, and seemed a bit embarrassed. Usually I would roll down the window and smile, and then they usually ask questions. Sometimes kids who walk around also come up to it... usually to steal the green metal air caps, but when they see me in, they quickly walk away. This has only happened at square one our shopping mall known to have kids roaming. It's a shame there is not a cheap solution to an age old problem, other than finding a way to stay in the car. What we need is Robocop. Does anyone remember that b style movie, Robocop 3 or something like that, where they demoted him to street patrol. LOL... hey kid, were you about to key that car? Out comes the weapon... 200,000 rounds later and ends with “Have a nice day”

I do agree that I have been forced to change my lifestyle. In the old days, driving a beater, I would only wash it 2 times a year. Now I wash that in a week. But I didn’t smile every time I was driving, now I do. I am crazy about 1.
Oh this is not supposed to be about me thread... I am really sorry about your car being keyed. That sucks big time!!!! Soylent Green is people (who key)!!!
If you have pictures before and after, and how the repair went along with costs, and hassles it would be very much appreciated. Then if anyone in your area can use your experience.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 07:16 AM   #10
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckw View Post
In an economic downturn, any premium car, even one that could be perceived as the lowliest of its kind, is more likely than ever to excite a petty response from the frustrated and envious. That was the real point of my "Keeping down appearances" thread. To see the worry behind my feeble joke borne out by the attack on your door makes me feel like a perpetrator of black humor. I'm sorry you have been the victim of what can only be petty malice and envy.

I agree. I actually was worried when I got the car, because it is that nice looking and really stands out. It's too bad the car cannot defend itself. Optimus prime where are you???
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
gizmo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

You need to get a trunk monkey.
      10-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #12
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I have noticed an increase in aggression from other drivers while in the 1 compared to my wife's jetta or even my old E46. I can't count how many times I've been flicked off for no apparent reason...the other morning even in my office parking garage because I choose to back into a tight spot resulting in the angry woman behind me honking and flipping the bird after the 5 second wait I caused her.

We each have the right to our own opinions, views, and economic choices, but once logic is radically removed from one's thought process and actions...I just simply loose it. I feel your pain, the anger and frustration that builds inside...just try to take a step back, first of all it's just car, second of all be happy that you are so fortunate to have made the right choices in life to earn the privaledge of owning such a car. Let other wallow with their inner-battle, regrets, misaligned moral and poor choices. Karma will come along. Count your blessings, be happy, healthy, kinda and pass it on.

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #13
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

UNREAL. (years ago..this happened to one of my mom's new cars a few days after she took delivery. it sucks)

Yup...people, especially the lower income sort, can be very disappointing.
      10-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #14
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Someone should design a device that activates when you lock the car and arms it with 20,000 volts. Anyone touches it gets fried.

Better still a gun turret with camera on the roof with 3G, so you can watch it on you phone and activate it when some street scum decide to pay an unwelcome visit. Ahh I dream....
      10-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #15
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
You need to get a trunk monkey.

Question: Does the trunk monkey option come with keying? I have looked, I know the o9 has PDC, Park distance Chimp.

Samurai might work...hmmm

Looks like there is a recall on some TM's

(This is a joke, please do not PM me on where to order)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #16
e36chris
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

sorry to hear.

yeah its terrible the amount of care you guys put into your cars, and then people dont even know the story behind you getting that car.. coulda saved up for 2 years or something, but ur seen as some rich snoob and get keyed

chris
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #17
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

This reminds me...back in high school I had a 2005 Saab 9-3 sedan. I got it brand new, and while I don't consider that a flashy car at all (my parents just wanted me to have a really safe car)...apparently someone didn't like the idea of an 18 year old with a $30k car (I lived in an upscale area so it was pretty much the norm...but the vandalism occurred in a much shittier area). Anyway, I left it in a parking lot overnight while I was out with friends and the next morning found it totally f'ed up. They didn't just key it...they keyed it, slashed the tires, KICKED the doors in...etc. The car didn't even have 1,000 miles on it yet.
      10-16-2008, 09:45 AM   #18
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by esscolab View Post
Someone should design a device that activates when you lock the car and arms it with 20,000 volts. Anyone touches it gets fried.
Why not extend the touch sensitive portion of the CA door handles to the whole car and then connect it to this:

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #19
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

^ oooh, I want
      10-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #20
onthe1
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for all the good response. Just to reply to EspressoBoy, I actually do try to park away from other cars as I did yesterday... and I was in a really upscale part of town.. I guess you never can tell.. I'll try get a pic if I can today... otherwise, I just want it fixed. Anyway, good to finally post.. I'll be on here some more..thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #21
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

What part of Nashville? I don't want to go to the same part and get my car keyed. I work in Cool Springs.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #22
jpick
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Sorry for your trouble, people can truly suck sometimes.

This is my first BMW and I realize there are some people who resent those who drive 'luxury' cars particularly BMWs. Not much you can do against wanton malice against your vehicle when you are not around.

But I try when I am driving to be polite. Always signal, never cut people off, let other people in etc. I always do that anyway but I try esp. in the BMW to not be a jerk.

I always park in the sticks too. One time I parked out in the boonies at the mall. When I came back there was a $75,000 or so black Porsche parked nose to nose with me! I took it as a sign of respect for my car
Appreciate 0