BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #23
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

That's why you need to believe in preemptive strikes. Key all cars in sight because you know someday one of them will key yours ;-)
      10-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #24
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Garage List
I think for whatever reason the 1er seems to attract more attention than most other BMWs.

I haven't been keyed yet (touch wood!) but every Jetta, Golf, Chrysler 300, Ford F150 & riced up Civic wants to race me.

The ones that don't race me get offend & hang off my rear bumper if I do something normal like leave decent amount of space in front of me on the highway.

I've been called a '******' for driving a 'girls car' when I stopped a set of lights.

Anyway, enough venting... I feel really bad that your car got keyed. I'm sending you sympathy & I'm storing up my anger in the event that I catch somebody doing the same to ANY 1 series!

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #25
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFX View Post
I think for whatever reason the 1er seems to attract more attention than most other BMWs.

I haven't been keyed yet (touch wood!) but every Jetta, Golf, Chrysler 300, Ford F150 & riced up Civic wants to race me.

The ones that don't race me get offend & hang off my rear bumper if I do something normal like leave decent amount of space in front of me on the highway.

I've been called a '******' for driving a 'girls car' when I stopped a set of lights.

Anyway, enough venting... I feel really bad that your car got keyed. I'm sending you sympathy & I'm storing up my anger in the event that I catch somebody doing the same to ANY 1 series!

My my my... a f*gg*t? LOL next time that happens...

My advice is:

smile and blow them a kiss!

If they can hear you, tell them, "One does need a bit of colour!" The quote is from the movie The Birdcage. Nathan Lane is too funny, and yes he is gay. Gay people have a lot of style. Even though I am not gay, if someone said I was, I would be thinking...hmmm must be my clean looks. I would think it is a compliment these days. I am not even a metrosexual, I hate shaving, and I wear cheap clothes.

Seriously though, try the kiss thing, it totally freaks people out when they say nasty things to you. This summer a van-guy cut me off, and even horned me. I zoomed up, smiled and blew him a kiss. My 2 nephews were in the car, and we all totally enjoyed watching that guy go bolistic, his face was read and you could actually see him yelling all kinds of f words... We all just laughed and of course we gave him some of our "pixy" dust... as we zoomed past him.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #26
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthe1 View Post
Thanks for all the good response. Just to reply to EspressoBoy, I actually do try to park away from other cars as I did yesterday... and I was in a really upscale part of town.. I guess you never can tell.. I'll try get a pic if I can today... otherwise, I just want it fixed. Anyway, good to finally post.. I'll be on here some more..thanks again
Did you get a quote yet?

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #27
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
My my my... a f*gg*t? LOL next time that happens...

My advice is:

smile and blow them a kiss!

If they can hear you, tell them, "One does need a bit of colour!" The quote is from the movie The Birdcage. Nathan Lane is too funny, and yes he is gay. Gay people have a lot of style. Even though I am not gay, if someone said I was, I would be thinking...hmmm must be my clean looks. I would think it is a compliment these days. I am not even a metrosexual, I hate shaving, and I wear cheap clothes.

Seriously though, try the kiss thing, it totally freaks people out when they say nasty things to you. This summer a van-guy cut me off, and even horned me. I zoomed up, smiled and blew him a kiss. My 2 nephews were in the car, and we all totally enjoyed watching that guy go bolistic, his face was read and you could actually see him yelling all kinds of f words... We all just laughed and of course we gave him some of our "pixy" dust... as we zoomed past him.

EspressoBoy
lol - I like your style :thumbup:

Trouble is I usually pay more than $30 for a hair cut, often shop at Holt Renfrew & I'm always clean shaven!

Maybe it wasn't just the car! yikes!

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #28
Papito135
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

That's why Smith & Wesson are my best friends.

US Army 11C 1983-1993
09 Sedona Red Metallic 135i
09 Ford F-150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #29
kalvar
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i 6MT All-Black

My condolences, onthe1! This makes me really nervous, considering I'm taking delivery of my '09 135i Coupe in 2 weeks from the Performance Delivery Center. Perfect example of urban psychosis and what the Germans call schadenfreude!!! Wish BMW had some kind of special "envy coverage" for their cars. Instead, we have to be jerked off by Insurance hacks (got keyed in the first week of my current car 5 years ago). Good luck and keep us posted on the recovery. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #30
oneaabe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalvar View Post
My condolences, onthe1! This makes me really nervous, considering I'm taking delivery of my '09 135i Coupe in 2 weeks from the Performance Delivery Center. Perfect example of urban psychosis and what the Germans call schadenfreude!!! Wish BMW had some kind of special "envy coverage" for their cars. Instead, we have to be jerked off by Insurance hacks (got keyed in the first week of my current car 5 years ago). Good luck and keep us posted on the recovery. Cheers!
Just want to know: by how much does your insurance premium go up in case you end up being a victim of such crazy, hopeless people's frustrations?
Timeline: Ordered (got prod. #): April 12 '08; Scheduled for production: July 10 '08; DoB: July 18 '08; ED Pickup: 1st Aug '08; ED Dropoff: 4th Aug '08; Arrived at Port Hueneme: 5th Oct '08; At VPC: 10th Oct '08; Pickup at local dealer: 14th Oct'08;
Current Status:
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #31
young1er
1st Class
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinweiß View Post
What part of Nashville? I don't want to go to the same part and get my car keyed. I work in Cool Springs.
Im curious as well. I grew up there and will be back in town next month...
      10-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #32
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Nashville...there's your first problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #33
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I feel your pain and I know how dismayed and angry you must have felt seeing the intentional damage done to your car.

Just like most of you, I always park at the end of the parking lot and out of harms way. Sometimes I even use two spaces just because you can't trust anyone to respect your property. No door dings yet and I would like to keep it that way! There are too many ignorant people around who think nothing of pulling up tight and smashing their door into yours.

To most people it's just a car. But to me, it's the realization of a dream of one day owning a BMW. An appreciation and admiration of a mechanical work of art in engineering terms. And the One certainly does gets a lot of attention.

Until today, I parked outside in my driveway, and have noticed a teenager cruising by every day on his bike and staring at my car. But it's not an admiring stare......it's a targetting stare with a sly grin attached to it. As if to say, I'm going to get me some of that.

Today, I was clearing out the garage to make room for my car now that winter is approaching. Noticed the same kid once again doing another stare and glare.

20 minutes later, as I finally pulled the car into the garage and was closing the remote control door.....I saw that same kid whizzing by on his bike all pissed off and swearing at himself.....as if to say - too late now, he's not parking outside anymore.

It's unfortunate, but they are out there waiting to victimize good people for no other reason than their own greed and envy.

And just so you know, I have not gone untouched. Just last week someone threw green ink onto my car while I was parked at a mall. Lucky for me it was water soluble and washed right off, but it could just as easily have been someone running a key against it.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #34
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcafs View Post
It's unfortunate, but they are out there waiting to victimize good people for no other reason than their own greed and envy.
It's also boredom, peer pressure, parenting & social division.

(sorry! I used to date a psychologist!)

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #35
c Doval
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Damn is that how they do it in Nashville?. That sucks dude u gotta always keep an eye on your girl hope it comes out brand new
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #36
Duckw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, 2010 VW Sportwagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaabe View Post
Just want to know: by how much does your insurance premium go up in case you end up being a victim of such crazy, hopeless people's frustrations?
If, as is the case with many policies, vandalism comes under your collision coverage, it might not go up at all, depending on your deductible. When some jerk bashed the trunk of my late R53 MINI with a baseball bat to the tune of some $300, i just ate it, given that I have a $1,000 deductible. Where I live, a $500 deductible hasn't made sense for years, since the hike in the premium makes claims under that amount a wash at best.
      10-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #37
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Yet another reason why I am glad I live in California. This happens on occasion, but not as much as is described. Sorry to hear about this. Good luck with the repair!

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #38
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Sorry to hear about your car mate.

They are just haters and it's a shame you didn't catch them.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #39
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '02 X5

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
You need to get a trunk monkey.
My sympathies are with you, onthe1. Hope your ride gets fixed soon and you can shake this off.

I thought I might share my personal "trunk monkey" Jerk-Deterrent (which, actually involves neither the trunk nor a monkey). But I swear to you it works. To wit...

Go buy one of those Hawaiian dancing hula girls...
...and keep it in your glove box or stuffed under your seat. When you park the car, grab Ms. Hula and place her on your dashboard.

Even the biggest prick in the world will have a hard time keying a car whose owner has one of these babies standing watch.

I'm guessing the assumption is: "The car owner can't possibly be a jerk if he has one of these, so I'll go key someone else's nice car."

No joke. Honest.
===============
Our wee twin turbos may be smallish, but they doth mashie yon backside deeply seatwise.
===============

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #40
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
FYI, and I know not everyone can do this...

I do not park the car in areas where people key cars.
Near: walk ways, paths, sidewalks, doors. If someone wants to key it, they have to walk to the far part of the parking lot........

EspressoBoy
Not long ago, I parked my Porsche Carrera S Cab in a parking lot where there should have been minimum activity. I also parked it in an end spot so in case someone also wanted to park there, there would be a little extra room between our cars.

When I got back to the parking lot, there was a little Miata parked perfectly next to my Porsche, but I noticed a huge deep door ding. It was not from the Miata, as it didn't line up at all. But it had to be intentional. Whoever did it would most likely have had to purposely park close enough and then deliberately ram their door into mine.

I was damned saddened, that's for sure. Some people do have emotional issues, and it seems that there's not much we can do. But, we certainly can be responsible for ourselves and try to represent to the world the right way to conduct ourselves. Especially as a parent, for example, I make every attempt to teach my kids to respect other people, as well as their property. When they get out of the car, I tell them to be careful, unlike some parents who let their kids come flying out with doors swinging.

When it comes to sports, I've coached for years, and one of my top priorities, in addition to learning the skills of the game, is good sportsmanship and respect for fellow teammates as well as opponents.

Kids don't learn the fundamentals of good character when they come from messed up households with one or both parents that are screwed-up, or just plain missing in action.

I'm honestly sorry to hear that your car was messed up, and I don't mean to get off track here, but the problem you describe is a symptom of a deeper issue within our society. Just live your own life with integrety, and hopefully it might rub off on those around you.

Take care.
      10-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #41
JKAWB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Black Sapphire

Three days before I came out here to Afghanistan, someone busted out my passenger side window that had just been tinted and stole my iPod and that's it. Glass was everywhere, I had to wait 3 days before a replacement window could arrive, not to mention I have to get it re-tinted. People have no respect for anyone's stuff anymore. They were such idiots they left my full size 1911 under the seat, thankfully, because God only knows what they would have done if they got a hold of that. My car was parked in a pay parking garage with a security guard on duty. After he told me I shouldn't leave my valuables in my car, especially out where it could be seen, I asked him why he wasn't doing his f#cking job in the first place. Then he proceeded to argue with me until I pulled out my .45 to tuck back into my waist, then he didn't say a damn word after that and apologized.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #42
lovemywhip
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBLW View Post
If 135's are male, then consider me Lance Bass.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #43
future135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

I'd shoot that f@#$@#$ on site. But I don't have a gun.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #44
onthe1
Rep
Drives:

Alpinweiß, I was actually at the McAllistors in Cool Springs... so be careful out there all you Nashvillians...
As far as the repair, I spoke to my friend at BMW this morning and he said to bring it by on Monday when their guy is in, and he'll have it repaired then. He said it probably wouldn't be very expensive and he mentioned that these cars have so many layers of paint and clear coat that it probably didn't cut too deep. I hope he's right. I'll be taking it in first thing monday. The only plus to this is that it's on the passenger side so I don't have to see it every time I go to the car, and I know it'll be good as new next week. Thank you all again for the kind support...
On another topic... has anyone put together a Nashville 1 series or general BMW get together? Just wondering... would definitely be fun
Appreciate 0