BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Question Steptronic transmission fluid flush - anyone had the dealer do it?

Just looking for feedback to see if it's worth doing or not. I have a 2009 with Step trans and 31k on the odometer. Anyone know the cost?

Last edited by Adam135; 11-28-2012 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I don't think a dealer would change it. They only know how to replace the ENTIRE trans, not do services. You should look for a ZF service center near you(IF they even have them in the states?). Maybe you can find a good indi near you.

These guys in Cali seem fairly knowledgeable. Plus their prices on the ZF lifeguard fluid is really decent.

http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=c...&parent=7&pg=1

Dack
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I purchased the kit from CTSC.

I'm planning on attempting the service this weekend but I've done 100,000km on mine and it shifts like shit...
      11-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post

I'm planning on attempting the service this weekend but I've done 100,000km on mine and it shifts like shit...
I changed the trans fluid on my e39 535i(v8). I changed it like four times. The hardest part of the fluid change is locating the fill plug for the ATF. On my e39 it was just above the oil pan gasket by about an inch or two on the rear edge.

Also... make SURE you run the trans thru ALL the gears(forward & reverse - besure to use the brakes so the wheels stop spinning(!) before changing directions/gears)... keep the engine ON and IN GEAR(ie drive) while on a lift... then keep adding ATF until it spills out of the trans fill hole. The trans oil needs to be fairly hot. I think 80'C. So let the car run in gear for a good 30 minutes or so - while adding ATF all along.

I ended up changing my ATF a few more times until it came out red instead of the black/brown color of old ATF. You will see.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:

I changed the trans fluid on my e39 535i(v8). I changed it like four times. The hardest part of the fluid change is locating the fill plug for the ATF. On my e39 it was just above the oil pan gasket by about an inch or two on the rear edge.

Also... make SURE you run the trans thru ALL the gears(forward & reverse - besure to use the brakes so the wheels stop spinning(!) before changing directions/gears)... keep the engine ON and IN GEAR(ie drive) while on a lift... then keep adding ATF until it spills out of the trans fill hole. The trans oil needs to be fairly hot. I think 80'C. So let the car run in gear for a good 30 minutes or so - while adding ATF all along.

I ended up changing my ATF a few more times until it came out red instead of the black/brown color of old ATF. You will see.
I didn't buy enough fluid to change it that often =P. No money at the moment to do that haha.

I'll see how it goes with just the 1 flush and filter change and if I'm still not happy with it I might try flushing it some more like you say.
      11-29-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I didn't buy enough fluid to change it that often =P. No money at the moment to do that haha.

I'll see how it goes with just the 1 flush and filter change and if I'm still not happy with it I might try flushing it some more like you say.
Well... that wasn't my plan either. My e39 trans holds 8L of ATF. I bought just enough the first change. But once you change the ATF... you realize how darn easy it is to change. So I changed it again and then yet again. Even after the first ATF change... you will see how much smoother your trans will shift. Especially when the trans is cold.

The best oil is new oil!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Black Prinz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 545i-128i-X3x35i-M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I don't think a dealer would change it. They only know how to replace the ENTIRE trans, not do services. You should look for a ZF service center near you(IF they even have them in the states?). Maybe you can find a good indi near you.

These guys in Cali seem fairly knowledgeable. Plus their prices on the ZF lifeguard fluid is really decent.

http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=c...&parent=7&pg=1

Dack
Thanks for the link Dack! Almost $400 less than realOEM for the kit for my E60!

I got to believe for the same reason they (dealer) won't touch the GM6 either, correct?
The Black Prinz | 09E82N51 | BMW 3-Stage Intake Manifold | BILSTEIN B12 Pro-System+ | ///M Control Arms | ///M Bushing kit | ///M Strut Brace | DINAN Camber Plates & Rear Shock Mounts | ECS Performance Trailing Arms | aFe Magnum Force Intake System [Dynamic Air Scoops+Stage 2 CAI] | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Brakes | GOODRIDGE G-Stop SS | DEPO V2 | Style 220M reps |
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

So I finally did it.

It took me like 7 hours total but I also changed the oil, HVAC filter, cleaned up, went out to buy parts etc that I needed, but I finally did it. The fluid that came out was darkish brown and had almost a water like consistency to it. The fresh ZF Lifeguard 6 that I put in was a light brown clear oil like fluid. Much thicker in consistency.

Upshifts definitely feel much faster and and smoother now and I haven't experienced any jerking that I had previously over the past 10,000km or so.

I'm probably not up for flushing and refilling to get out all of the old fluid but I'll probably look to service it every 50,000km.

If anyone wants any help doing theirs feel free to PM me.
      12-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
WPG D33Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i vert Cobb Stage2

The dealer told me I needed a new transfer case on my X3. Tried changing all fluids and the car has had rock solid shifts for 1.5 years now

Lifetime fluid my a$$
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Black Prinz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 545i-128i-X3x35i-M2C

Per my understanding lifetime = 100,000 miles under non severe conditions
The Black Prinz | 09E82N51 | BMW 3-Stage Intake Manifold | BILSTEIN B12 Pro-System+ | ///M Control Arms | ///M Bushing kit | ///M Strut Brace | DINAN Camber Plates & Rear Shock Mounts | ECS Performance Trailing Arms | aFe Magnum Force Intake System [Dynamic Air Scoops+Stage 2 CAI] | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Brakes | GOODRIDGE G-Stop SS | DEPO V2 | Style 220M reps |
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
I changed the transmission fluid in my 335i half a year ago near 90K miles.

STRONGLY recommend changing the mechatronics sleeve while you're at it. I did not and had to do the service TWICE cuz of leaking transmission oil. The mechatronics sleeve is cheap.

Also when I bought the kit it only came with 6L of oil. Not sure what the capacity was in the 135i but I had to purchase another 3L at dealer prices to complete the fill.

Just a few tips to ensure you guys don't make the same mistake I did

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
JTBMW1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Good topic. I have changed all kinds of fluids in the past- manual, automatics, gear oil, etc. without issue. This one scares me though- on one part only. How can you do this without a lift safely- on jack stands, keep the car running and in gear to top the transmission fluid off? I do all my car work myself and see this as a two person job- and even then seems risky. When my car is due, I was going to change it myself, add as much fluid as I can with the car off, then drive it cautiously to a qualified BMW service center to top it off- that has a lift. Anyone else do this approach, will it harm the tranny for the short drive with the fluid not topped off, or know of a safe way to do this at home with jack stands?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBMW1
Good topic. I have changed all kinds of fluids in the past- manual, automatics, gear oil, etc. without issue. This one scares me though- on one part only. How can you do this without a lift safely- on jack stands, keep the car running and in gear to top the transmission fluid off? I do all my car work myself and see this as a two person job- and even then seems risky. When my car is due, I was going to change it myself, add as much fluid as I can with the car off, then drive it cautiously to a qualified BMW service center to top it off- that has a lift. Anyone else do this approach, will it harm the tranny for the short drive with the fluid not topped off, or know of a safe way to do this at home with jack stands?
I did it on the weekend on my own.

It's just a squeeze getting under to do everything and fill it up but it's no real biggie. Car drives fine.

DIY - 135i/N54 Steptronic Automatic Transmission Fluid Flush and Service
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777083