BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-31-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

No more Hand Held devices while driving in BC on Jan 1st.

Cellphone restrictions loom, B.C. reminds drivers

'Fewer distracted drivers'

CBC News

B.C. drivers have until Dec. 31 to get hands-free gear if they want to use a cellphone while operating a motor vehicle. (CBC) The B.C. government is reminding drivers that on New Year's Day it will become illegal to drive in the province while using a hand-held cellphone or other electronic device.
Under the changes to the Motor Vehicle Act effective Jan. 1, most drivers will be allowed to use hands-free units with earpieces or speaker-phone functions. But talking, texting or gaming on a hand-held device will no longer be allowed while operating a vehicle on B.C. roads.
Drivers classified as learners or novices under the province's graduated licence system will not be permitted to use any kind of cellphone while behind the wheel.
"We have all seen the tragedy, the carnage and the loss caused by distracted driving," Vancouver police Chief Jim Chu told a news conference Monday. "The new legislation will mean fewer distracted drivers on the road."
Hands off?

An official with the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia said there is evidence that even chatting on hands-free devices constitutes a measurable distraction.
"The research has shown that whether you are operating a hand-held or hand-free unit, the risk is there," said ICBC road safety manager Sonny Senghera.
Authorities have said they may clamp down further. "If in fact … there is still a significant problem with distracted driving, we will go with further restrictions," said Solicitor General Kash Heed. That could include outlawing even hands-free devices while driving, Heed said.
Drivers caught by police using hand-held phones will be given warnings through January. As of Feb. 1, officers will have the option of issuing $167 tickets.

— NATIONAL POST FILES
In a contentious plan to make B.C.’s roads safer, this activity will become illegal on Jan. 1. But police have pledgedamonth’s grace before they start handing out tickets to motorists caught holding mobile devices while driving.
As of Jan. 1, B.C. drivers are barred from holding mobile devices — cellphones, BlackBerrys and iPods — in their hands while behind the wheel. New drivers are banned from using them at all, even if they have the hands-free versions.
Police have promised a monthlong grace period until Feb. 1, when they’ll start handing out $167 tickets for drivers breaking the rules. Motorists will also get three penalty points on their licences if caught.
“Just holding an electronic device in your hand is grounds for the ticket,” warns the RCMP’s B.C. spokesman Sgt. Rob Vermeulen, who says that for the next month, Mounties will be simply pulling drivers over and educating them about the new ban.
The new law meant hands-free devices like Bluetooth headsets were a popular Christmas gift, with devices that clip on to sun visors selling out fast. But the hands-free devices’ popularity has the B.C. Automobile Association concerned that drivers are too focused on ways to keep driving and dialling — instead of just ditching the devices.
“It’s good to know that come Jan. 1, a good number of B.C. drivers will have their hands back on the wheel instead of holding a phone to their ear,” says BCAA spokesman Trace Acres. “It would be even better if, as drivers make this change, they go a step further and ask themselves if they really need to make the call at all.”

As of Jan. 1, 2010, B.C.’s new law will make it illegal for drivers to use hand-held cellphones and other portable electronic devices. Among the prohibitions:

No operating, viewing or holding hand-held cellphones or other electronic devices No sending or reading emails and/or texting (e.g., BlackBerry, PDA, cell phone) No operating or holding hand-held music or portable gaming devices (e.g., MP3 players, iPods) No manual programming or adjusting GPS systems, whether built into the vehicle or not, while driving. Settings must be programmed before driving No viewing of a television screen Any of the above devices can be used if the vehicle is legally parked and not impeding traffic, and to call 9-1-1 to report an emergency.

In addition to the above restrictions, new drivers enrolled in the Graduated Licensing Program are prohibited from using hands-free communications devices while driving, including cellphones.

You may use an electronic device in a hands-free telephone function while driving if:

The electronic device, as well as any part or extension of it, is not held or operated by the hand; and It is voice-activated or requires only one touch in order to initiate, accept or end a call; and If the device includes an earpiece, that earpiece can be worn in one ear only and must be placed on the ear prior to driving*; and The electronic device is securely fixed to the vehicle or worn securely on the person’s body, and is within easy reach of the driver's seat; and The device must be installed in a manner that does not obstruct the driver's view of the front or sides of the motor vehicle or interfere with the safety or operating equipment of the motor vehicle. *Motorcyclists are exempt from the one ear requirement and may have an earpiece in both ears.

As well, manual dialling is prohibited and is treated as texting.

Two-way radios that operate on a set frequency (principally used for commercial purposes and by federally licensed amateur radio operators) and mobile data terminals are not included in the scope of the electronic device prohibitions, and can be used by any licensed driver.

Hand-held devices can be used to call 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency, or if the driver has pulled over and is out of the flow of traffic.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

This has been in effect in Ontario for a few months already...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
This has been in effect in Ontario for a few months already...
How is it working out? Are the roads safer?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

"Just holding an electronic device in your hand is grounds for the ticket"

so i can touch it with my toes only? there are too many grey areas

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
How is it working out? Are the roads safer?
Actually there has already been a noticeable difference for me on the roads. A few months ago, every second asshole was on the phone while they were driving, erratically stopping and starting, and now it's not as bad. I hope the cops nail every last person fiddling with their gizmo while driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuzi View Post
"Just holding an electronic device in your hand is grounds for the ticket"

so i can touch it with my toes only? there are too many grey areas
There are no gray areas. It is well defined. http://www.icbc.com/faqs/road_safetyfaqs

You may use an electronic device in a hands-free telephone function while driving if:
  • The electronic device, as well as any part or extension of it, is not held or operated by the hand; and
  • It is voice-activated or requires only one touch in order to initiate, accept or end a call; and
  • If the device includes an earpiece, that earpiece can be worn in one ear only and must be placed on the ear prior to driving*; and
  • The electronic device is securely fixed to the vehicle or worn securely on the person’s body, and is within easy reach of the driver's seat; and
  • The device must be installed in a manner that does not obstruct the driver's view of the front or sides of the motor vehicle or interfere with the safety or operating equipment of the motor vehicle.
As of Jan. 1, 2010, B.C.’s new law will make it illegal for drivers to use hand-held cellphones and other portable electronic devices. Among the prohibitions:
  • No operating, viewing or holding hand-held cellphones or other electronic devices
  • No sending or reading emails and/or texting (e.g., BlackBerry, PDA, cell phone)
  • No operating or holding hand-held music or portable gaming devices (e.g., MP3 players, iPods)
  • No manual programming or adjusting GPS systems, whether built into the vehicle or not, while driving. Settings must be programmed before driving
  • No viewing of a television screen
Any of the above devices can be used if the vehicle is legally parked and not impeding traffic, and to call 9-1-1 to report an emergency.
In addition to the above restrictions, new drivers enrolled in the Graduated Licensing Program are prohibited from using hands-free communications devices while driving, including cellphones.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

How does this affect CB radios?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
How does this affect CB radios?
Breaker Breaker NIner Niner - can you read?

Serioulsy, no one uses CB radios anymore, not even truckers. But I would think as long as you don't have the microphone in your hand while driving, they would be ok.

This law was triggered by the many morons who had accidents while talking on a handheld or texting while driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Breaker Breaker NIner Niner - can you read?

Serioulsy, no one uses CB radios anymore, not even truckers. But I would think as long as you don't have the microphone in your hand while driving, they would be ok.

This law was triggered by the many morons who had accidents while talking on a handheld or texting while driving.
Police, fire, taxi, etc?

Their are already laws in effect which cover distractions while driving. The cops should pull people over for having dogs on their laps, crap hanging from their rear view mirror, booming stereos, etc.

The other thing is, not with the law you see way too many people pulled over to the side of the highway to use their phones. Potential accidents caused while entering and leaving the floe of traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Police, fire, taxi, etc?

Their are already laws in effect which cover distractions while driving. The cops should pull people over for having dogs on their laps, crap hanging from their rear view mirror, booming stereos, etc.

The other thing is, not with the law you see way too many people pulled over to the side of the highway to use their phones. Potential accidents caused while entering and leaving the floe of traffic.
What about police and other first responders? Are they exempt?
Police, fire and ambulance personnel who may need to make calls in the performance of their duties are exempted

Why are you singling out hand-held cellphones and other portable electronic devices as distractions that you want to ban? There are many other distractions.

Extensive research shows that the use of cellphones and other portable electronic devices by drivers is a common in-vehicle distraction that significantly increases the risk of crashes and injuries.

To your third point, if drivers are pulled over where it is not legal to so so, or cause accidents by re-entering traffic where it is unsafe, they will be liable to receive additional fines and penalty points on their driver's licenses.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Now all they need to do is pass a law that doesn't allow NAV devices to be attached, [in the line-of-sight] to the windshield, so that people can get back to driving, instead of trying to drive, while watching a damn moving map!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #12
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

too many automotive things restricted in BC.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #13
deeb
boss.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

not a chance i will stop changing songs on my ipod??????? I just find that funny... lol