BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Heads-up re: Cashmere Silver

Well, Kameraden, yesterday I traded my Z4 in and ordered the 128i Cabrio, TiAg, Blk 'ette interior.(Feb production, end of March delivery). :thumbup:
I was tempted by the 135i Cab, but decided that 230 ponies is sufficient to get me from one set of lights to another faster than most Hondas and Toyotas. :biggrin:
The guys at BMW Canada are a class act and everthing went as slick as goosesheit.
Anyhooo, the reason for my post is to give y'alls a heads up on Cashmere Silver. My BMW dealer is located at the BMW Canada HQ and they have several 1ers in their fenced in back corral.
One of them is a 128i Cabrio in Cashmere Silver with the black Moonlight soft top. I believe this one is headed to the upcoming Toronto Auto show.
Needless to say, it's a gorgeous car, beautifully proportioned, etc, but the colour of Cashmere silver did surprise me and my wife as being more goldy-taupey than the internet pics would suggest.
It is definitely distinquishable from TiAg - it's not just a subtle hue difference. Some will like/love it, some won't. :iono:
It was overcast, so it may show differently depending on lighting conditions. Although I prefer the TiAg, I didn't mind the cashmere silver. My wife didn't like the Cashmere at all.:eyebulge:
This is a heads-up for those ordering the colour sight unseen (other than on the internet) - you may want to see it in person before you pull that trigger.
BTW, the black moonlight roof looks o.k. Hardly distinguishable from the std black roof from a distance (at least on an overcast day), but slightly noticeable close-up. I went with the std black roof, but would be equally happy with the moonlight roof.
Peace-out..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
pwong888
Private
Rep
Drives:

Which dealer did you went? Any 135 or 128 coupe?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwong888 View Post
Which dealer did you went? Any 135 or 128 coupe?
The BMW Experience Centre by the 401 in Whitby. It's also BMW Canada HQ..
I saw 2 x 128i coupes and 1 x 128i Cabrio in their corral..
There were no 135i coupes or cabrios..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
rosky1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Thanks. Mine is coming in Cashmere Silver. I prefer that it have a slight gold tint like many photos suggest- great that your personal look confirms this. Complete & on the way to the exit port.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thanks very much for the alert. We ordered our 135 this AM in Cashmere Silver and really don't want a goldish tint. Based on your head's up, just called the dealer and changed to Sparkling Graphite...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep

I looked at all the pics of Cashmere Silver 1ers posted on this and other MBs and the one below is about as close to actual (at least on my screen) as I saw on the lot.
BTW, before going to see the 128i Cabrio my dealer initially referred to the colour as "light gold" when I asked what colour the 128i Cabrio was. He'd apparently only seen it briefly from a distance, but that was his initial impression. Maybe the overcast conditions made the gold tint darker and stand out more than had there been sunlight.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 02:06 AM   #7
airrek
no chrome on the wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 HS

Let me start by saying that I appreciate the update. :respekt:
Having said that, this thread is making me miserable! To me, the Detroit show pictures of the convertibles really showcase just how great the cashmere color could be under bright lighting (note: if they are really titanium silver, please correct me... immediately!) I WANT the color to look as it does in those carshow photos but if it comes down to it, I might have to reconsider the (relatively) plain silver - no offense to you TiAg fans but my current car is silver so I "been there..." you know the rest. Else it'll be "cloudy days = light gold car" :iono:
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

I really love the car show pics as well. Not sure if a 'golder' colour will suit.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airrek View Post
Let me start by saying that I appreciate the update. :respekt:
Having said that, this thread is making me miserable! To me, the Detroit show pictures of the convertibles really showcase just how great the cashmere color could be under bright lighting (note: if they are really titanium silver, please correct me... immediately!) I WANT the color to look as it does in those carshow photos but if it comes down to it, I might have to reconsider the (relatively) plain silver - no offense to you TiAg fans but my current car is silver so I "been there..." you know the rest. Else it'll be "cloudy days = light gold car" :iono:
Sorry to have contributed to your misery.
I didn't go to the NAIAS in Motown, so I can only go by the pics posted fron the Auto Show. :iono:
To me the colour in the pics (see below) are a lot closer to TiAg in colour/hue than the Cashmere Silver I saw in the BMW corral. If the show car is cashmere Silver then it shows differently under bright show lighting than it does under overcast skies.
That may be the case as the sedona red I saw in person at the LA Auto Show took on a different hue under the show lights than the pics previously posted on the Net. :eyebulge:
I assume there were a number of folks here who did go to the Motown show and hopefully someone can tell us whether the show cabrio was/is TiAg or CashAg..:wink:

BTW, I agree with your "plain" silver comment. I'd prefer it be a little darker or a little more metallicy or a little more something.. I've had a TiAg Z4 for 5 years and I'd love to have gotten something a shade or 2 different.
I would have given CashAg serious consideration after seeing it - but as I mentioned above, my wife didn't care for it at all (not that that woulda stopped me from getting it had I really liked it - cause I ain't P-whipped (I think)).

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
cause I ain't P-whipped (I think)).
Yeah....That's what she told you to say isn't it?

This looks like Cashmere silver to me under show lights which are washing out the gold tone slightly.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
airrek
no chrome on the wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 HS

I watch the press-release promo video for the 1convert - e.g.
- every other day just to see the color (my money's on a 135i coupe). If that video is as "accurate" as it gets seeing the car in motion under relatively natural light then my gauge is that on it's worst day/light, it looks like "sand" or "champaign" which is, yeah, gold-flavored, but at it's best, it's a "warm silver" which *duh* would be the cashmere part of "cashmere silver."

I'd be okay with just liking it (as i would if i change to TiAG) but I am afraid of hating it. Some color variance is liveable, right??? I mean, blue water metallic can look silver and SGM can have a hint of purple, no?

Ok, enough from me: back on the color-choice rollercoaster *haha*
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep

Here's the colour

Take a look at the colour of this CashAg 128i Cabrio in the video below and check the colour of this puppy 11 seconds into the video and that's exactly the colour I recall when I saw it in the flesh..

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #13
Andys120
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for that video Carnut, it rekindled my lust for a 1er Cabrio. As for Cashmere Silver, it's an attractive color but I think I'd prefer TiAg or something more colorful (Crimson Red or Montego Blue). I can't wait to see a Oner 'vert in ANY color!
Appreciate 0