BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
jgraveskc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Euro Delivery SES Light Emergency

I took Euro delivery of a 135i.. it has been a great experience. However, on the highway from Koln to Paris, with 650 miles on the clock, I got a weird problem.

The SES light came on and the car started running grumbly and rough. I pulled over on the highway, shut the engine off, waited a minute, started it back up... same thing. I was on a turnpike sorta highway so I had to drive it ~15 miles to the next service station. I noticed that at higher revs it drove much smoother, so I drove there in 4th at ~3500 RPM. Stopped at the next station, opened the hood, removed the air filter (just looking for anything that could have come lose... this was all I could remove with the "toolkit" having only a screwdriver.) The car sat for maybe 10 minutes with the hood up and me scratching my head. I started it back up again and it seemed to run fine... revved very fast and smooth. I decided to continue on to Paris, another 40 miles or so, and the whole way in it was fine. City driving, highway at 85, both felt normal again... but the SES light never went away.

Anyways, anyone have any idea what this could be? Is it safe to try to drive the car another 400 miles?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
EINS
Simply One Great Car!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM Coupe

Garage List
2008 E82 / 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraveskc View Post
I took Euro delivery of a 135i.. it has been a great experience. However, on the highway from Koln to Paris, with 650 miles on the clock, I got a weird problem.

The SES light came on and the car started running grumbly and rough. I pulled over on the highway, shut the engine off, waited a minute, started it back up... same thing. I was on a turnpike sorta highway so I had to drive it ~15 miles to the next service station. I noticed that at higher revs it drove much smoother, so I drove there in 4th at ~3500 RPM. Stopped at the next station, opened the hood, removed the air filter (just looking for anything that could have come lose... this was all I could remove with the "toolkit" having only a screwdriver.) The car sat for maybe 10 minutes with the hood up and me scratching my head. I started it back up again and it seemed to run fine... revved very fast and smooth. I decided to continue on to Paris, another 40 miles or so, and the whole way in it was fine. City driving, highway at 85, both felt normal again... but the SES light never went away.

Anyways, anyone have any idea what this could be? Is it safe to try to drive the car another 400 miles?
I would have your 1 looked at for sure if you still have days of driving in front of you.

I looked through my ED papers but I could not find the document that I thought I had for issues with the car while in Europe and who to call. Take a look through the paperwork that you received at delivery.

-Jeff