BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #23
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

TMAP fitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by esscolab View Post
Sorry for the short write up, I am off out to get a better run in. Will report later...
Esscolab,

Can you let us know how they fitted the TMAP unit. Was it from the top (under the air-filter as per SSTT recent install info) or from below.

I'm surprised it took the processionals 2 hours.

Make sure you only use high octane petrol with this mod (Tesco 99 is the best according to a recent review). I read somewhere that higher summer temps and lower octane can cause the ignition to be retarded, leading to a dip in top-end performance).

What's next; K&N or BMC filter perhaps.

Anyway, enjoy the extra power.

Mad.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 04:12 AM   #24
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

The unit was fitted underneath the car. The diagram showed it was accessible from above but this was for the 335i.

The reason it took a while was because Rallytec said the car has to "go to sleep" for 30-40 mins before they could do the work. This means bonnet up, all doors closed. Apparently to stop the ECU throwing up errors once the TMAP was fitted.

Later in the day I did notice when I overtook on a B road that it threw up a warning light for about 3 seconds. I am not sure it does this anyway if you red line it or if it's after the mod. I will look the symbol up against the manual. I think it was an orange circle with an exclamation mark in the middle.

The car does feel tighter now though, the accelerator is much more responsive and it picks up speed much more rapidly than before, especially noticeable in 3rd 4th and 5th gears.
      05-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #25
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Esscolab,

I think the light is the traction control coming on. My friends 135i, with the SSTT, does this in 1-3 gear on a less than perfect surface, unless the tyres are really warm. You should also notice a subtle drop in power/acceleration when the lights on.

As the 135i is such a smooth car, the extra performance comes in very smoothly. We had a go at an E46 M3 last week (I used to own one) and we easily pulled on it and it didn't catch us - so the TMAP upgrade definitely gave us the advantage. Poor guy has mortified!

Anyway, enjoy the car, but I'd advise keeping the DST on for now.

Mad.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #26
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

MAd,

I think you're right about the traction control warning. I took it for a spin tonight and it never came up this time. i'll keep an eye on it...

Glad you blew the E46 M3 away, loved to have seen the guys face.

Had a similar thing yesterday when a 325 i flashed on the motorway to let me pull out, was prepaired to let him go past on the outside but he waited and waited for me to pull out. I jammed it into 3rd and floored it on the inside lane all the way through to 6th and left him in the distance. Poor bloke didn't know what happened.:wink:
      05-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #27
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Esscolab,

I unplugged my battery when I installed mine and the power was instantly noticed. In a few hours it got even quicker. I have yet to throw a code.

The center light is traction control and you will get full spin in 1st and a little in 2nd and 3rd with fast shifts.

Turn off traction control and really watch the smoke...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #28
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

002's

So if I unplug my battery, then reconnect, the TMAP will kick in more ?

It's allready really noticeable, if it was any quicker I would poo my pants and run away :biggrin:

I took the DMT off completely tonight to see what would happen. I'm obviously not flooring it enough as I had bugger all wheelspin. What revs are you giving it before you pull away ?
      05-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #29
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

Quote:
002's

So if I unplug my battery, then reconnect, the TMAP will kick in more ?

It's allready really noticeable, if it was any quicker I would poo my pants and run away :biggrin:

I took the DMT off completely tonight to see what would happen. I'm obviously not flooring it enough as I had bugger all wheelspin. What revs are you giving it before you pull away ?
I unhooked it because I didn't want to wait for the ECU to reset and unhooking guaranteed that the ECU would reset.

All I know is it's fast. BUT...now I'm getting use to it and I'm beginning to wonder if it's fast enough...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #30
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

You think I should unhook my battery then? if so, how long should i give it before hooking it back up again ?
      05-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #31
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

For Anyone who has the 135i and read the link, have you noticed a whine from the turbos? Ive only test driven the car so I havn't had a chance to listen to what stock sounds like really.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #32
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

Quote:
You think I should unhook my battery then? if so, how long should i give it before hooking it back up again ?
If you are getting a lot more power I would say that you are getting the most out of it.

I just did it to be sure. I gave it about 5 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 06:00 AM   #33
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLS View Post
For Anyone who has the 135i and read the link, have you noticed a whine from the turbos? Ive only test driven the car so I havn't had a chance to listen to what stock sounds like really.

You don't really hear too much turbo noise with the stock ECU and stock air filter.

I have ordered the BMS filter for some extra turbo whine, and also considering the Superchips option.

Anyway, back OT...

What are you guys going to do when you take your car back to the stealer for servicing etc?

Is the mod easy to detect?

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 06:22 AM   #34
///M ichael
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: HiAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
What are you guys going to do when you take your car back to the stealer for servicing etc?

x2
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 07:07 AM   #35
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post

The MOD is underneath the air box, so unless they are removing the air box for an oil change they would never be able to detect it.

MOD throws no codes on stock cars (per manufacture and I haven't seen any)

MOD take 15 minutes to remove air box and un-plug. I will remove it each time I go in for service.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 07:20 AM   #36
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
The MOD is underneath the air box, so unless they are removing the air box for an oil change they would never be able to detect it.

MOD throws no codes on stock cars (per manufacture and I haven't seen any)

MOD take 15 minutes to remove air box and un-plug. I will remove it each time I go in for service.

do you have any pictures of your car on Shawn's photo journal page ?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #37
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Rallytec taped over the module to disguise it, I could barely see it, even when I was looking for it. They said unless some major work was going on the garage would never detect it was there. I'm leaving mine in all the time.
      05-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #38
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Next question is do I tell the insurance company......
      05-09-2008, 08:01 AM   #39
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntense135i View Post
do you have any pictures of your car on Shawn's photo journal page ?
No, I don't do car photos on that site.

Here are some w/tint
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 08:03 AM   #40
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Next question is do I tell the insurance company......
Good question. Depends if your insurer would even cover you anyway, if you did pay extra. They all seem to ask questions about it being a 'standard' car nowadays.

I'll need to check the same thing I think. My 135i isn't being delivered until September, so I've got plenty of time to check. eSure were cheapest for me when I checked, at £370. Not sure how receptive they'd be to mods though.

I'm assuming you're considering the £600 to be money well spent though?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 08:20 AM   #41
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

The majority of insurers are fine with mod's as long as they are notified.

Standard practise is to increase your premium by the same percentage that power is increased by, or in some cases by value e.g. expensive alloys.

For a remap, unless completely invisibile like BlueFin, I would tell the insurer. Imagine writing off your brand new 135i and then the insurer looking for the mod - which isn't particularly hard to find...

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #42
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Definitely happy with the mod. It's the best performance upgrade available for the money.

I guess I should phone the insurance company and let them know ;(
Will let you know the price hike....
      05-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #43
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Current insurance company wouldn't touch it with the mod. Found one that will, they want £100 more than I am currently paying to cover it. So it's now £545.00 with £250 Excess.
      05-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #44
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Insurance

Quote:
Current insurance company wouldn't touch it with the mod. Found one that will, they want £100 more than I am currently paying to cover it. So it's now £545.00 with £250 Excess.
esscolab,

Can you advise which insurance company your going with, who accept the TMAP mod.

Thanks,

Mad.

p.s just found this SSTT link on the main forum: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8791

Very good news, I think. I'd still remove the TMAP at service time, if I were you esscolab!
Appreciate 0