BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-12-2008, 10:46 PM   #23
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Are you considering the 135i vert takahashi ? :smile:
Yeah, if I am not buying a 2nd hand 135i. I will be aiming a white vert with tan/red leather.

Or a white EVOX MR.

Or both.... :biggrin:
      08-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #24
ozzy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i, 996 TT, Challenger 4x4

And when are these guys going to check the specs , I am so sick of them telling me it has electric steering , someone tell them please I might swear
      08-13-2008, 12:46 AM   #25
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Yeh ozzy I thought that was weird too. The 135 doesn't have electric steering does it? Maybe the one they are driving has active sterring?
      08-13-2008, 01:57 AM   #26
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
Yeah, if I am not buying a 2nd hand 135i. I will be aiming a white vert with tan/red leather.

Or a white EVOX MR.

Or both.... :biggrin:
Nice choice, I've actually seen that exact combination in the flesh at Doncaster BMW about 3 weeks ago, ie: AW with Coral interior vert - very nice !

White Evo 10's also look the bizz...

You are one lucky man if your able to have both of those vehicles - I hope you do indeed manage to do so, perfect everyday/weekend combination :smile:

Apologies for going off topic to the rest
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 02:27 AM   #27
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
Thanks cargeek.

I will enjoy reading it I am sure.

Too hard to chose between 135 and the EVO X for next year. I might just get both (if I have a huge payrise)

You should be looking into an LSD guys :iono:
Taka, this is why I fear my 135i's debut at Winton next month. It's going to be a nightmare. Don't leave me too far behind mate! And LOL at Dr Gerry's comments. He probably have heaps of guys trying to pick him up in his EVO.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 02:55 AM   #28
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylish. View Post
^^ I've always had the impression that Motor/Wheels' journalists were weaksauce! A majority of their 0-100 times on various cars were under the manufacturer's claim, whilst international motor journalists can match, or beat the manufacturer's time.

Thanks for the upload, Cargeek..!
WHEELS test with a passenger in the car in addition to the driver. For a light car, this can have a huge influence on the acceleration times. MOTOR has no excuse for slow times since they test with only the driver. The exception is of course if the surface is loose or damp ... as it has been for each of their published tests of the 135i Coupe.
      08-13-2008, 03:08 AM   #29
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

I know a little birdy that is having a LSD fitted to his car right this moment! Eh
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 05:35 AM   #30
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

WAY you'll be struggling with understeer mainly at Winton. The gum tree section is understeer city. Just watch the V8s go through there. They are really just coasting through fighting the understeer.
      08-13-2008, 05:49 AM   #31
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Good article.

Funny thing is we just bought the car that came 3rd overall and the 135... it came 13th. (I know which car I will be taking out of the garage first though hahaha)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 06:24 AM   #32
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
WAY you'll be struggling with understeer mainly at Winton. The gum tree section is understeer city. Just watch the V8s go through there. They are really just coasting through fighting the understeer.
Good point. But wouldn't I struggle with traction coming out of all those tight corners too?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 06:27 AM   #33
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I know a little birdy that is having a LSD fitted to his car right this moment! Eh
Believe me a few people are watching this one closely because if it is successful (meaning not too difficult to get it done locally) then it may actually be ok price wise. But if the workshop can't get it done, then we are back to square one as it would mean having to have the whole diff shipped from the UK. I know that these guys are highly reputable though!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #34
2QIK4U
Mike
Rep
Drives:

Agree Wraith. What a damn shame the test was done in the wet. The STI and EVO will slaughter anything with their 4WD in those conditions.

What we miss here is the simple fact this is a bang for bucks comp. Unfortunately they don't compare interior feel, finish and looks in the equation. I have owned a WRX for a long time. When you compare the feel of each car there is no comparison. Regrettably Subaru have redefined ugly with the hatch only option and even managed to add a claustrophobic feel to the drab interior. The BMW shines above all others, does anyone really believe a ford ute is better than all others in this group?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #35
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Believe me a few people are watching this one closely because if it is successful (meaning not too difficult to get it done locally) then it may actually be ok price wise. But if the workshop can't get it done, then we are back to square one as it would mean having to have the whole diff shipped from the UK. I know that these guys are highly reputable though!
They will get it done, but only really useful if you want the car as a track one. Like yours.. most joe blows like me and joe wouldn't care
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #36
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

WAY at a few points you will, but unless you take an incredibly late apex (thereby suffering even more understeer), understeer will still be the main problem. Eg. new T1 & T2 should be neutral. T3 is off camber and downhill so understeer will be issue. T4 tightens on exit and isn't too slow so you'll be balancing. Sweeper is high speed. Might have trouble at hairpin after sweeper. You might also have trouble on the left hander coming onto the back straight and at the right hander onto the front straight. It is incredibly challenging getting a nice balance that works best across the whole track, but it is surprisingly enjoyable.
      08-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #37
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

why are they testing it on a damp track? they said it was the 2nd slowest to 400m but caught up somewhat by 1000m. 400M is our quarter mile. It should be able to woop on those cars in the quarter mile. WTF?

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #38
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

hmmm....i think damp tracks make a whole lot of sense. no use having power if you can't put it down efficiently. after all, isn't that the reason 911s can pick on cars above its HP/KW class because it uses its relatively lesser power so much better?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #39
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I'm not sure Prof, but I'd love to have one to try out
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #40
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2QIK4U View Post
Agree Wraith. What a damn shame the test was done in the wet. The STI and EVO will slaughter anything with their 4WD in those conditions.

What we miss here is the simple fact this is a bang for bucks comp. Unfortunately they don't compare interior feel, finish and looks in the equation. I have owned a WRX for a long time. When you compare the feel of each car there is no comparison. Regrettably Subaru have redefined ugly with the hatch only option and even managed to add a claustrophobic feel to the drab interior. The BMW shines above all others, does anyone really believe a ford ute is better than all others in this group?
Indeed, what you have described above is one of the main reasons for me switching from Evo 10 to 135i...

Ford ute also a definite NO for me, however I do like the very many good points of the FPV F6 sedan, personal likings aside, that car is a very good bang for bucks contender...oh and it uses the same manual and auto transmissions as the 135i...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #41
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
hmmm....i think damp tracks make a whole lot of sense. no use having power if you can't put it down efficiently. after all, isn't that the reason 911s can pick on cars above its HP/KW class because it uses its relatively lesser power so much better?
Much the same story with the new R35 GT-R in the AWD category :smile:
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #42
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

exactly! sorry, i forgot we live in a new world order. there is the GT-R and then a string of other supercar wannabees....
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #43
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Can I say something about the GT-R...for anyone who hopes to buy a GT-R and blow a LP560 or LP640 or even a 911 turbo off their roof in a rolling start straight line race, think again. GT-R's advantage is it's ability to come out of corners faster than anything else out there, which is why it's got some pretty awesome track times. But you need to be a good and committed driver to do that. For most buyers of these cars, it's all about showing off in a straight line and GT-R ain't the fastest by any stretch of the imagination.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #44
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
exactly! sorry, i forgot we live in a new world order. there is the GT-R and then a string of other supercar wannabees....
That is an absolute fact !

Still, lots of people round the World refuse to accept it...

And despite our local rip price tag on this car (150-160k) compared to approx. US.80k and around AUS.78k in Japan, what an unbeatable bang for bucks vehicle the GT-R is :smile:

Oh how I'd love to have one each - a 135i and R35 GT-R in my garage :smile: ie: until the release of a twin turbo M3 with AWD yes, I know that'll probably never happen and if it does it's price tag will most probably put it way out of reach for me
Appreciate 0