BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-12-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Some immediate issues after upgrading firmware on JB4?

I just upgraded the firmware on my JB4. Keep in mind that I didn't have ANY issues with how the JB4 functioned, I was just told that it would be a smart idea to upgrade it, so I did. Now since upgrading to v30, I went on a quick test drive. From this, I gathered that the feel of boost is different, and I have two issues with it.

1. On the previous FW version (I don't know what version it was) the entire RPM band was one big smooth pull. Now obviously the boost would taper at the extremes of the spectrum, but aside from that, boost was always smooth and incremental. Now on new FW, it seems that the boost is capped at 10psi until 4k, where it suddenly and abruptly shifts to max boost. This feels weird and artificial, I preferred the smooth wideband feel of the old FW version.

2. While attempting to "tune" map 5, hoping this would cure the issue, my charge pipe popped off at the top of 3rd gear shifting into 4th. This is the first time this has happened since swapping it for the Cobb CP, though it happened a few times on the stock CP. I don't know if this is related to the FW update, but it's worth noting anyway.

Charge pipe issue aside, is #1 just how the newer and improved versions of the JB4 function? I think I preferred the older version tbh

Last edited by BMW135pls; 08-12-2015 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Did you change your FF value?
      08-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #3
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Did you change your FF value?
I don't know anything about that. I downloaded the JB4 interface and the FW. The FW updating guide said to make sure that certain key values were set to 0, so I did, and I updated the FW successfully. Anything aside from that, I didn't play with.
      08-12-2015, 09:48 PM   #4
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
this is the wrong forum to get info on the jb4. the support section of the other forum is the place to go. or email Terry direct with logs of the problem happening attached. I would say the cp connection might need looked at. with the jb4 you can set all the settings back to stock and start again. there should be a picture of where all the user settings should be at. just match every single one of yours to that. and as always. log then log and log again. most people would be happy to read your logs and give opinions on the other forum as well. when ever you have a tuning related problem the other forums support section with a copy of a log or 2 should be your starting point.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135pls View Post
I don't know anything about that. I downloaded the JB4 interface and the FW. The FW updating guide said to make sure that certain key values were set to 0, so I did, and I updated the FW successfully. Anything aside from that, I didn't play with.
Make a thread here:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35
      08-13-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

on the newest firmwares you have 3rd gear boost limit
check its value
      08-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
on the newest firmwares you have 3rd gear boost limit
check its value
Good point, but that's not it. Sometimes the default 3rd gear limit is 1 psi, if that were the case he would have gotten a completely different result.

On a random thought OP, did you happen to mistakenly set your JB4 up for a backend flash?
      08-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Good point, but that's not it. Sometimes the default 3rd gear limit is 1 psi, if that were the case he would have gotten a completely different result.

On a random thought OP, did you happen to mistakenly set your JB4 up for a backend flash?
I don't believe I did, but this was my first time using the JB4 interface, so something may need to be done that I didn't do.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #9
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Problem solved:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32772
      08-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #10
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
looking at the very first page and post of the firmware thread had a screen shot of all those values and where they should be. when in doubt set everything back to that picture. before you do anything you need to setup to log. you should not be doing anything if your not going to log your changes. The logs will tell you if your car is happy. it would also tell you if you really needed an upgraded fmic just for map7. this will also depend on what your planning to do with map 7? drag strip? autocross? late night highway runs? sounds like your getting ahead of yourself. read the other forum. all the answers are there. learn how the tuning is working and learn how to read the logs. the logs are very important they'll tel you exactly what you need to do. or find a buddy that really likes reading them and send them his way. glad you got it sorted though. now go have fun. haha.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 10:01 PM   #11
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
looking at the very first page and post of the firmware thread had a screen shot of all those values and where they should be. when in doubt set everything back to that picture. before you do anything you need to setup to log. you should not be doing anything if your not going to log your changes. The logs will tell you if your car is happy. it would also tell you if you really needed an upgraded fmic just for map7. this will also depend on what your planning to do with map 7? drag strip? autocross? late night highway runs? sounds like your getting ahead of yourself. read the other forum. all the answers are there. learn how the tuning is working and learn how to read the logs. the logs are very important they'll tel you exactly what you need to do. or find a buddy that really likes reading them and send them his way. glad you got it sorted though. now go have fun. haha.
I think you are getting two threads confused. I never mentioned map 7. Though you are right about one thing, I do need to setup the cable properly so I can do a log. I have everything I need, I just don't feel like doing the work, haha.
      08-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #12
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135pls
Quote:
I think you are getting two threads confused. I never mentioned map 7. Though you are right about one thing, I do need to setup the cable properly so I can do a log. I have everything I need, I just don't feel like doing the work, haha.
yep. 2 different threads. still works though. stop being lazy! running the cable through the glove box takes like 5 mins. it is fun to see the changes that happen to your car with every mod and fuel changes.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #13
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yep. 2 different threads. still works though. stop being lazy! running the cable through the glove box takes like 5 mins. it is fun to see the changes that happen to your car with every mod and fuel changes.
Yepp, I tried installing the USB cable today, but had multiple install issues. I followed the install guide exactly, but my hardware setup is different it seems. First off, I wasn't able to get the glovebox disconnected. The screws weren't in the same place as in the guide, I found a set of screws, removed them, but the glovebox didn't drop even after I removed the damper and the locking clip. Further, I disassembled the DME and tried to feed the cable through the hole in the firewall, only to find that the hole in question was covered in a hard plastic which blocked any attempts at entry.
      08-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #14
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135pls
Quote:
Yepp, I tried installing the USB cable today, but had multiple install issues. I followed the install guide exactly, but my hardware setup is different it seems. First off, I wasn't able to get the glovebox disconnected. The screws weren't in the same place as in the guide, I found a set of screws, removed them, but the glovebox didn't drop even after I removed the damper and the locking clip. Further, I disassembled the DME and tried to feed the cable through the hole in the firewall, only to find that the hole in question was covered in a hard plastic which blocked any attempts at entry.
what? that's insane. I've never heard of this. there 2 locking tabs on the glove box. if you search for my whistler pro install I have pics of it. then it just drops down. the black piece underneath it is just held on by a couple screws too. that hole should be in the dme box. it takes some finagling to get it through it but it does go. it's best to have someone looking up behind the glove box while your trying to shove it through. that way they can grab it. I don't even have mine in the glove box anymore. I log and update with my phone so I'm always plugging it in and it was to short being in the glove box.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #15
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what? that's insane. I've never heard of this. there 2 locking tabs on the glove box. if you search for my whistler pro install I have pics of it. then it just drops down. the black piece underneath it is just held on by a couple screws too. that hole should be in the dme box. it takes some finagling to get it through it but it does go. it's best to have someone looking up behind the glove box while your trying to shove it through. that way they can grab it. I don't even have mine in the glove box anymore. I log and update with my phone so I'm always plugging it in and it was to short being in the glove box.
I tried again, still wasn't able to solve the issue. So I think I've been able to get the cable to go about 1-2" into the hole, I don't really know if it's actually going anywhere or just getting hung up. I tried pushing it downward this time, because the hard plastic piece seems to be blocking its direct straight line path toward the cabin.

When I have the glovebox out of the way, it looks like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/IMG_0594.JPG

And I don't know where I should be expecting to see the cable come from, because I don't. I have also felt everywhere my hand is capable of feeling, and I don't feel it.
      08-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #16
Helltime
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 135i sport package

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135pls View Post
I tried again, still wasn't able to solve the issue. So I think I've been able to get the cable to go about 1-2" into the hole, I don't really know if it's actually going anywhere or just getting hung up. I tried pushing it downward this time, because the hard plastic piece seems to be blocking its direct straight line path toward the cabin.

When I have the glovebox out of the way, it looks like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/IMG_0594.JPG

And I don't know where I should be expecting to see the cable come from, because I don't. I have also felt everywhere my hand is capable of feeling, and I don't feel it.
When I did the install I first stuck a small flashlight from the ECU box do towards the hole I had to feed the cable to, then I shut the garage lights off and went into the car to see where the light came through at, this is where you will need to reach up to pull your cable out from.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #17
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Yeah. try that. it actually comes in behind everything you can see. close the glove box and take the plastic footwell guard down and look up in there. then once you find it you can route it into the glove box.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 07:12 AM   #18
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
You don't have to remove the glove box. Just drop the trim panel below it ( 2 screws and the floor light wire) and then slowly feed the usb cable throught the hole. The hole is there. it may be hard to see, so use a flashlight and take your time. Feed the usb cable through, and then pull it from the bottom. I've done it 10 times at least installing JB4's.
      08-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #19
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was able to finally get the cable routed the other day. I swear I'm not normally a complete tech idiot. I've done all the rest of my engine mods myself, and was always able to work through the problems that arose. This mod for some reason got me real frustrated, probably because I couldn't see what I was doing half the time. Anywho, it's installed, so whatever.

While I had the footwell cover dropped, I noticed some liquid staining the insulation. I didn't notice any such liquid on the insulation in the install guide, so I just want to make sure that it's nothing to be worried about.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/IMG_0595.JPG