E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What would you do

11-16-2005, 09:50 PM   #1
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

What would you do

Some of you may have seen other posts related to delivery in Australia. For those who are not familiar with the topic, we do not have ED here, nor do we have the Owner's Circle web site for tracking progress.

Each time I have rung up to get an update I get what I can only describe as a guilt trip: "every thing is fine" or "I am checking daily and will let you know" ...

Thanks to JamieA, I found the shipping web site and have been tracking progress up to yesterday, at which time the car was unloaded. So I thought I would email the salesman - emails below:

My email:
<snip>
I have been monitoring the ship and from the shipping website, which indicates that the car should have been unloaded yesterday morning. Do you have any news from BMW or an ETA ?
<snip>

His reply:

<snip>
NO NEWS.

BMW ISN'T EXPECTING THE SHIP UNTIL TODAY.

I AM CHECKING A FEW TIMES A DAY. WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I SEE SOME ACTION.

EVERYTHING STILL GOING TO PLAN. RELAX.
<snip>

Now, am I being overly picky, or should I be pissed at the tone of this reply
      11-16-2005, 09:55 PM   #2
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

No, in Canada the tracking thingy is science fiction as well to our dealers (and we are just north of the USA !! :mad: )

I think it is just that they are not used to being harassed by us (Maybe that's why they went with the tracking function in the US ? )
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
It seems he may be fed up with your constant questions and that you are tired of his cavalier attitude. I'm sure you'll get the call as soon as your car arrives. Only then will he recieve full credit for the sale. Perhaps both parties need to relax a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_325Ci
It seems he may be fed up with your constant questions and that you are tired of his cavalier attitude. I'm sure you'll get the call as soon as your car arrives. Only then will he recieve full credit for the sale. Perhaps both parties need to relax a bit.
Thanks for the feedback. I probably should have mentioned that I do not call/email the salesguy more than once in every two/three weeks ... is that too much ?
      11-16-2005, 11:07 PM   #5
connermd
What did I miss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

I would call the dealer and ask status whenever I felt like (within reason) and ignore his attitude. If he gives you more attitude then make it your personal mission to drive him nuts...of course, that won't make your car arrive any faster, but at least it will give you something to do while you wait
      11-17-2005, 12:01 AM   #6
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by connermd
I would call the dealer and ask status whenever I felt like (within reason) and ignore his attitude. If he gives you more attitude then make it your personal mission to drive him nuts...of course, that won't make your car arrive any faster, but at least it will give you something to do while you wait
Interesting approach

I wonder if that would motivate him to "test drive" it on arrival and give it a damn good thrashing ?
      11-17-2005, 12:17 AM   #7
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa
Thanks for the feedback. I probably should have mentioned that I do not call/email the salesguy more than once in every two/three weeks ... is that too much ?
I'd say no, that's not too much however it's not going to speed up the process. So why bother? Tho I can relate, it's an exciting thing and you just want you car ...NOW! :mad: But don't stress, we (e90 forum) will try to keep you sane until you're behind the wheel of your new Bimmer!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 12:20 AM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Hey Costa,

At least you know its VERY soon.

My sales guy ALWAYS knew EXACTLY where my car was during the build right up till delivery. No excuses as BMW Australia update the dealers constantly. Once dates are given, they usually dont change. I dont know whats up with your guy though.

My sales guy LOVES to talk any time about cars BMW, no matter what so he and I got on very well and stay in contact. Its great.

Not long now for you car, really.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 12:37 AM   #9
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks for consoling me guys. I know it won't be long - that isn;t the problem. It's just that this sales person is giving me the $hit$. I wanted to hear about your experiences to see if he was behaving unreasonably.

As per Davids post, I cannot see why he would not know where the car is, and be able to tell me where it is without trying to make me feel guilty for even asking.

I guess every salesperson is different - we'll see what happens on the day, which is "2-3 weeks" away.
      11-17-2005, 02:47 AM   #10
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Hey Costa. I think your sales guy's attitude sucks. He should realise what this means to you and a truly good sales person would want to share in the excitement. Calling every couple of weeks or so is not excessive in my eyes.

I found that my sales guy was a day or two behind the information I was getting from the shipping company and the ports authorities, I think because ti takes a while for the info to get into their systems. He was also encouraging me to come into the dealership to "visit" similar cars in order to get my BM fix. I never did it, but it made me feel good that it was OK if I needed to.

The good thing is that Adelaide Motors have an excellent reputation of processing the cars as soon as they get them and not unnecessarily holding up deliveries. My experience is that at about this time in the process they start calling you weekly and then almost every couple of days. The timeframe they gave you is about right given my experience, and could be nearer to 2 weeks than 3.

I had the followup call from my sales guy today and he mentioned a post sale survey from BMW, you can keep this up your sleve for your ultimate final word if your guy doesn't get his act together.

Let's hope it comes soon, mate, I can't wait to see it!
      11-17-2005, 04:18 AM   #11
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hey Jamie - thanks dude. I see the old odomoter is still ticking over at a good rate

I wasn't sure about the survey here in Oz, so it certainly is nice to know that if this guy continues down the path he has chosen, it will come back and bite. I'm not the spiteful type, but he is sure testing my patience.

Whatever happened to "the customer is always right" ?
      11-17-2005, 04:28 AM   #12
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Yeah, getting closer each day to the end or run-in. Already I notice it is revving freer and better to drive.

I wondered about the survey too. I was complimenting him on such a great sales and delivery process and he kind of dropped into the conversation "So if you get called for a survey you will give me full marks then?" and I was like "yeah for sure". He deserves it though, this has been the best car buying experience I have ever had.

I am with you, and I don't believe in spite, but sometimes you need to give brutally honest feedback to get things to change when you have exhausted all other avenues.
      11-17-2005, 04:39 AM   #13
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Hey Jamie, you mixing up the driving speeds and conditions to ensure a wide range of kms travelled?
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 07:01 AM   #14
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Yes. The lucky thing is that this is my normal driving pattern because of the peak hour traffic, then night drives, then the hills and then open country roads all in the same week.

I have been very careful with this one. When I have been playing with the active cruise, I only set it for under a minute. Mostly it has been demonstrating the feature, hunting down a car then setting the cruise to 140 then locking onto them and following... so far this has been the coolest feature to demo, except for the puddle lights, but cooler than the comfort access.
      11-17-2005, 07:24 AM   #15
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA
... so far this has been the coolest feature to demo, except for the puddle lights, but cooler than the comfort access.
Sheesh, I never really paid that close attention to all of your options. I forgot to ask you - do any of the following work in your car:

- MP3 CDs in either your dash CD player, DVD, or in the stacker
- RDS on your radio

11-17-2005, 07:36 AM   #16
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Haven't checked MP3 cds yet. Give me a moment and I will let you know

RDS definitely works and looks cool on the old style radio station selector on iDrive
      11-17-2005, 08:14 AM   #17
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Here 'tis, MP3 CD in the DVD player and the stacker. Works very well, smooth as a valium daiquiri...
Attached Images

11-17-2005, 09:00 AM   #18
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Depending on your relationship with your CA, I think his attitude is okay. Their information, while better than ours, is still limited. After the ship docks it may take a day to unload, then they have to update their systems to show a new status... these things take some time. When it gets to the VPC it will be in a black hole until it's released to a truck - and then there's no guarentee that the truck will be departing immediately...

Basically, be patient. It will be there soon. I'm sure he can give you updates as he learns more. Just let him know you don't mean to be a pebble in his shoe, but you're just excited and anxious and any progress updates are appreciated. If he is a good CA he will keep an eye on it and let you know.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 09:17 AM   #19
thd13
Major
Rep
Drives: A07 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I bugged my CA almost every week. I knew more than he did on the status of my car. I don't know why I called him so much; I guess it was to just verify that I have an acute case of OCD. Just relax, the car will be there soon enough.

The longer you wait, the better it feels when you actually get it. Of course, you might have less hair than when you first ordered.
      11-17-2005, 08:29 PM   #20
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks again for your feedback guys. It's good to get well-balanced feedback on something like this. I personally still feel somewhat mistreated, but it's not a major issue. I'm sure that once I actually sit in the car and get a breath of that new car smell, the past will be erased.

Jamie, thanks for posting those images of MP3 working and verifying RDS - it looks awesome. I wasn't sure if you were serious about actually testing it last night - I must have headed off to bed about 3 minutes before you posted, damn ! Sorry I missed it given you went to the effort of trying it out for me at such a late hour.

MP3 is one of the things I have been looking forward to. At the time of ordering the sales person told me that if I wanted it for sure I would have to wait until next year for delivery. I went for immediate delivery (which is 3.5 months), hoping I could get an upgrade down the track.

While it is good to see it working, I am just wondering whether it works on Prof Navi, as well as Business Navi. I recall reading a post on this somewhere, and as recently as yesterday someone was claiming RDS functionality in Prof Navi was being "abandoned". Does anyone know if there is a fundamental difference in terms of MP3 and RDS capability between the two versions of I-Drive ?

... I know ... and even more sadly, I started this thread

TIA
      11-18-2005, 12:23 AM   #21
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

He emailed me today, names removed to protect the guilty:

MORNING ***,

YOUR CAR CAME ON TO AUSTRALIAN SOIL THIS MORNING!

CHEERS,

The shipping site says the car was unloaded two days ago, so it seems that, as someone already has said in this thread, BMW information lags at least a couple days behind the shipping companies. Considering I have open access to the shipping information and I do not work for BMW, I reckon that is a bit sad.
      11-18-2005, 12:37 AM   #22
connermd
What did I miss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Someone needs to tell that guys that writing emails with CAPS LOCK on is the equivalent of yelling.