BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

First autocross with 1M

I'll open this saying the thread is useless without pictures. There were a few people taking pics, and I asked for copies to be emailed to me. Nothing yet.

First autocross with my 1M. The first run was christened with a pylon (two actually in the first run). Runs two and three and pylons swivelled out of hteir boxes. Four might have been clean and five I am almost postitive it was clean. I'm waiting for results and pics to be posted.

The first run I learned just how powerful the car is. The car was bone stock outside of pumping the tires to 42 pounds. Hitting the happy/loud pedal the car took off. Anything outside of a straight line and the back end would step out. Nicely but I cannot wait to when I can run this with some Hoosier Racing Tires mounted up. I could tell the car handled sweepers and turns extremely well. Two spots in the course that were almost straights and the car ate up the pavement.

The course was for me about 51 seconds. An extremely well driven second gen MR-2 non-turbo was running 48 second runs.

One run I launched and then realized after a few seconds that I had not disabled the traction/stability controls. Held my finger on the button and explained to the student riding shotgun what I was up to. Just before that I had hit the "M" button too. Wasn't my best run.

When I finally took my last run (I had to leave early), I goofed up one section but came out with a 51.2.

The car was such a pleasure to toss through the pylons. I have to get used to a car with a motor, instead of my '96 318i (it has a motor?!).

I'll post pix and results when I get them.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
delta-9-ginseng
OG Tray Deee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i & F36 435i

nice sounds pretty awesome!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Your tire pressure seems really high. PS2's sweet spot is generally like 37-39 hot when tracking i've found.
      11-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

It was 42° at the first run so "hot" was a bit relative. Last run was about 51°. In autocross (not track) the runs are short (all of mine were in the :51 second range). If I was on a track I'd adjust differently.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
murph1379
Rep
Drives:

Whoa, Matt Murray picks up a 1M, nice!

For those that don't know, look to this guy as the standard-bearer in 1M autocross performance... Multi-time national trophy winner in "uncompetitive" BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1379 View Post
Whoa, Matt Murray picks up a 1M, nice!
Just to be clear I did NOT pick up a 1M. It followed me home. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
Matt M235
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

1M vs. M3 vs. Corvette in AS class

HI MattM
I saw your results on Saturday's MD Pro Solo. You came in last but were very close. What tires are you running? Do you think it's a matter of getting used to the 1M? Did you choose the 1M over the M3? Are the Corvettes outclassing the BMW's in AS? I have also gone against Porsche Cayman S and them seem to have an edge as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Geez were you waiting for me to get to my hotel? Savini's car is well dialed in. Kozlak's car though new to them is of a similar style to what they have driven and they are both very good. Jacobs and I used to duke it out in H Stock. I am very okay with being 1.5 out of first. I had a couple of issues this morning and this afternoon the left side was giving me a hard time. I have one more addition to the car for set up that was shipped today but is not on the car. I think that will make a big difference as I get use to the car. I am still on a learning curve. I feel good about it.

Appreciate 0