07-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #45
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
Hi,

i dont really have any explanation for this but it just seemed logical to me to start taking the wheel apart and checking everything.

i know that dead wheel bearing hum when they die, or CLICK like bike clicks on turns when they are at the end of their days.

this just sounded little different.

jacked the front up, took the wheels off,
i started by turning the steering from under the car and spinning the wheels, nothing, just quiet.

so ofcourse that the noise is coming from a side load, also when i turned the wheel all the way i noticed how all the links sway each side, so i thought this can be a main load point [well.. duh].

cleaned it all with an air spray can, then sprayed it with cleaner, and finally regreased every joint i could reach.

what do you know, noise is gone!

im not a pro mechanic, just a hobbyist that like fiddling around with car parts.

in my case that did the trick, maybe other cases just wont help.

i wanted to upload a vid of my ticking noise, but once i saw the above vid and hit the 0:40 secs mark when he turned right, i couldnt mistake this noise for something else, i have had the EXACT same issue but on BOTH wheels. listen carefully for a faint and fast ticktickticktick just as he turns right at 0:40, turn up the vol. i cant mistake this noise, it drove me crazy, sound like a water sprinkler returning on its ratchet mechanism hehe

like this one

rust and dust may cause this.

i cleaned everything and greased all i could.

its gone!
To me the ticking sound at 0.40s sounds like the bicycle rear-hub and leads me to believe that the wheel bearing is at the end of its' day as well. However, you have had success with cleaning everything up.

What cleaner did you use? I will try cleaning everything up this evening and see how far it takes me.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #46
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Hi, im from Israel, so maybe the brands we have here a abit different but i just used a simple carborator cleaner for everything, and non led automotive grease.
nothing fancy.

took me about 2 hrs for everything, i just looked around and greased whatever looked in need.

used a brush to take the rust off the rusty parts.
      07-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #47
Andrew517
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW135

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew517 View Post
I have same issue as well, I took my car back to dealer for a series of inspection (took me about 3weeks), they replaced the brake disc, brake pads and wheel bearing. However, the ticking noise could not be fixed. Then they started to check the drive shaft, boots and bushing but no luck on that. They told me today, they cannot locate where the noise coming from, so they ask me to take back the car and wait until mid of August as they record the noise and send back to BMW headquater for solution.. Hoping I will have my luck this time....><
Just to summarize:

You have been hearing loud ticking noises when hard-right-hand-turning.

The Dealer has replaced the following parts on your car and one part on mine:

1. Disk Brake
2. Brake Pads
3. Wheel Bearing
4. Differential

If I am not mistaken there is only one part left to be replaced and that is the Drive-shaft.

I would be interested what BMW "head-quarters" has to say about it. I followed the links posted in this thread to the 135i forum and they are saying that it was in fact a wheel bearing issue.

Question, maybe they replaced the wrong wheel bearing (that means the rear instead of the front one of visa-versa) ???? Comments?
They were able to locate the sound was coming from the front, they recorded and uploaded to headquarter. So it could be less likely be the issue of rear bearing
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #48
Andrew517
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
Just to summarize:

You have been hearing loud ticking noises when hard-right-hand-turning.

The Dealer has replaced the following parts on your car and one part on mine:

1. Disk Brake
2. Brake Pads
3. Wheel Bearing
4. Differential

If I am not mistaken there is only one part left to be replaced and that is the Drive-shaft.

I would be interested what BMW "head-quarters" has to say about it. I followed the links posted in this thread to the 135i forum and they are saying that it was in fact a wheel bearing issue.

Question, maybe they replaced the wrong wheel bearing (that means the rear instead of the front one of visa-versa) ???? Comments?
Unlikely to be the driveshaft (since noise only occurs when turning in one direction), but could certainly be rear axle/CV joint.

Neil
They also check the CV boots and relub all parts that might cause this issue. However, it does not help at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #49
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew517 View Post
They were able to locate the sound was coming from the front, they recorded and uploaded to headquarter, so I believe that something happen in the front.
Interesting as my sound first appeared to be coming from the front, but was later identified by a friend to be coming from the rear.

I would ask that you update the thread with your dealership's response from BMW HQ.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #50
Andrew517
Private
Rep

Okay, but that might need to wait as I was told to take the car back to them in the mid of August
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #51
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I wonder if your (brake rotor)splash shield could be loose? Have you guys checked that part?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #52
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

hey dack, after i removed my wheel i checked it and it was tight, no play and seemigly no noise coming from there.

but as i said before, i fixed it, now i know what routine do each time it returns.
      07-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #53
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

My Dealer has order a replacement for my left-rear wheel bearing and it is suppose to be installed today.

I will post if the replacement of the wheel bearing has solved the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #54
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Dealer replaced the left rear wheel bearing and my initial turn it appears that my metallic grinding ticking is gone.

Had an opportunity to see the bearing itself and saw that three of the bearing balls had a little larger gap between them and their neighbours also there was clear evidence of scratches and grooves in the bearings.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #55
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

Believe it or not, my ticking issue was a simple fix.
I didn't completely believe it when they told me the issue, but tested it out in a garage and my ticking seems to have disappeared.

Apparently I had some stones stuck behind my "backing plate".
SA told me that this plate's purpose was to keep stones out, but once in a while a few stones will find its way in and cause this sound.
Didn't sound very valid when I heard it, but the issue seems to be fixed.

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 03:41 AM   #56
Andrew517
Private
Rep

Hi all,
It has been a while not having a ticking sound when making a turn slowly. Unfortunately this annoying sound come back recently. I really have no idea. some says in the internet that maybe caused by hydraulic steering system... So confuse..so disapointed as the dealer couldn't figured out the problem as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #57
The Transporter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Add my car (135i) to the list of cars making this noise from the front left corner. From searching the Internet (see link below), it appears to be coming from the rivets on the 2-piece rotor.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...50&postcount=4

Can anyone here confirm it is the same on the 135i?
Appreciate 0