E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bumper Scratch, advise needed

09-16-2005, 06:28 PM   #1
kierangu
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Bumper Scratch, advise needed

Some one scratched my bumper and left without leaving any information

Any suggestion? Good body shop around Sunnyvale,CA?
      09-16-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Bummer. If you have comprehensive coverage you should immediately file a cliam with your insurance to get it fixed. Hope you won't be out of pocket. People have become such scumbags. I hope the scratch isn't too bad.

P.S. Welcome to the forum. We are generally a decent bunch and share great stories and information. There are a few buttheads here (I can be one sometimes myself) but take that with a grain... let us know how you make out.

P.S.S. This, good people, is an example of someone to whom misfortune has paid an unwelcome visit. We all know how we feel about our E90s and we'd all be upset. kierangu however, has posted a simple question, and will no doubt receive all our sympathies. kierangu did not wish upon the rest of us scratches, dents, or ebolla outbreaks. Hmmm... so it is indeed possible for someone to be upset about their car and not wish misfortune on the only other people who really understand. Kudos.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kierangu
Some one scratched my bumper and left without leaving any information
Some years ago, I had that happen to my e46's rear & front bumper (front fixed, rear no damage, just pushed out of shape a few mm not fixed) No one left ID. Sickos. Also some idiot woman backed her car into my E46 headlights/indicator lights, broke it completely and left without a note.

Fortunately for me a secuirty guard across the road witness the CRIME and put the licence plate number on my windscreen under the wipers.

Got the police involved. 20 years jail!!! Ok, maybe not but she paid me back for the repair. Claimed she didn't see any damage to my car. LIAR!!!!

The trials and tribulations of selfish idiots. Sorry about your damage. Ask your dealer who they recommend. Check your phone book and go and inspect the prestige car repairers. One that uses computer colour matching and will colour the entire bumper if needed.

All the best.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2005, 02:44 AM   #4
kierangu
Private
Rep

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I've called the insurance and arranged an appraisal on Monday. There is no dent or damage to the bumper, mainly just the paint. Some cut is quite deep. I don't know if I should replace the whole bumper. It makes me upset to see my baby car (two month old) getting hurt.
      09-17-2005, 04:16 AM   #5
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

I am sorry to hear about your problem, I hate it when my baby is hurt...

My previous car was rear ended by a drunk driver who then sped off, thinking I wouldn't get his number plate... haha he paid for that dearly!

Hope your bumper scratcher gets their just deserts!
      09-17-2005, 05:05 AM   #6
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Most bodyshops will replace the bumper. I always think that this is some sort of a conspiracy to milk insurance companies for all they are worth- has the world of automotive paint repair advanced so little that a bumper must always be replaced? Apparently.

The good news about this sort of thing is that, if they replace the bumper, you get 0 downtime. The bodyshop orders the bumper, they prep/paint it and then they slap it on while you have a cup of coffee and everything is all better.

And if that isn't enough of a bright side for you, consider the possibilities of upgrading that rear bumper. Hell, always wanted one of those aero kits? You just got 1/2 off!

The bright side rocks.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #7
kierangu
Private
Rep

Can the bumper come from BMW factory painted? In a previous bumper job with an older car, the paint looked fine at first. But after a few weeks, it became darker than the original.
      09-19-2005, 10:35 AM   #8
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
There probably is no point in making a claim; Unless there is damage to the bumper cover, the repaint will probably be $400 at a BMW shop, and your deductible is probably $500.
      09-20-2005, 02:07 PM   #9
kierangu
Private
Rep

I went to two body shops today. The bumper is fine so they won't replace it. They washed all paint off and only some fine scratches are left. If I let the body shop do the job, they will take off the bumper, sand off the original paint and re-paint it. I was shocked by the difference of pricing for the same job (one $375, the other about $720).

I remember seeing some ads on scratch removal products on TV. Anyone has any experience on those?